Monster Turbine Appreciation Thread
Oct 31, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #766 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by DTKZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New owner chiming in. I got these a few days ago and I'm loving them. I was originally looking for a replacement for my UE 5Pros and after checking out some of the reviews here, I decided to get them. Thanks Shigezo for your review in the earlier thread. Your taste in music and headphones seem to be fairly similar to mine, so I figured that I'd like them if you did.

Initial out of the box impressions were kind of disappointed when compared to UE 5Pro (using UM2 cables). The turbines were bassy as I expected but I found that the lower sub bass was kind of overpowered by the higher sub bass and lacked punch. Excellent for hip hop, not so good for dubstep.

After some burn-in with pink noise, I found that the lower sub bass caught up with the higher sub bass and provided a much more detailed sound at the low end. I think they now beat the pants off my UE 5Pros.

I admit that I am a bit of a basshead (I listen to a lot of dubstep) hence my focus on the low end. I would be a little hesitant to reccomend them to someone looking for a very balanced neutral sound. However, I do listen to more than just bassy music (the reason why I had a UE 5Pro rather than a UE 5EB) and they still perform well with Antonio Carlos Jobim.

I would heartily reccomend them for those who like a lot of bass but want something that performs well even with music that isn't bass focused.

It might just be me, but I found the soundstage to require a little adjustment on my part. For me, most earphones have a soundstage that's wider than it is tall. Using the Turbines, the soundstage seemed taller than it is wide. Anyone experience this as well?

I also think that they sound very engaging and are excellent for watching movies with. I found myself paying more attention to scores and audio cues in movies. They provide an amount of bass that, to me, has a visceral feel somewhat akin to what you'd experience in a cinema. I live in an apartment and turning up my speakers so that they have that kind of bass when watching movies would really piss my neighbours off, so it's a very nice plus.

If you mean easily replacable like older UE products, then no. I'd like to know whether the cable can be replaced myself but you'd have to crack open the earpieces somehow to do it and I'm not going to try that while they're still working. Being able to replace the cables somehow would be awesome though, I could certainly imagine wanting to keep these for a long time.

nice review,, do u think the monster turbines would have more bass than my ue 5 eb's,,, they are my def favorite iem for most music short or bright classical, but for rock pop and even dark classical i prefer my fav ue 5 eb's and especially and i stress this, for watching movies!!!

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #767 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unrelated question, do you have a 1st gen or 2nd gen touch? I'm trying to figure out how my 1st gen compares to the 2nd gen. From comparing with my sister's 2nd gen, it seems the 2nd gen is warmer overall and sounds better (unsurprisingly) with most phones. Everything I have plugged into it sounded good, whereas with my 1st gen some phones paired better than others. The 1st gen seemed more cold and digital, but somehow quite full, especially when comparing to cheaper players. I like the way it sounds, and I can't want to hear the turbines with it and compare to the second gen.

i def think my 32 gb itouch sounds way better than my other 2 nan and nano vid

Nov 1, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #768 of 1,122
Meehn it was absolutely amazing while it lasted but my turbine plug is bad now and pretty unbearable to use.

I'm at fault with that though cuz my lifestyle changed during the summer and i was moving around with it alot more and not carrying and storing it properly

Nov 1, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #769 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meehn it was absolutely amazing while it lasted but my turbine plug is bad now and pretty unbearable to use.

I'm at fault with that though cuz my lifestyle changed during the summer and i was moving around with it alot more and not carrying and storing it properly

Sorry to hear that. If you have the know-how, you could always reterminate them with a new plug...

Nov 1, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #770 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to hear that. If you have the know-how, you could always reterminate them with a new plug...

yeaa i wish i knew the know-how about to do that. I might go on and buy a bran new pair if i dont find anything more durable for my new lifestyle.

Nov 9, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #771 of 1,122
You say there is no other IEM housed in high quality metal? The UE MetroFi 220's, and the Etymotic Hf5's are both housed in aluminum.

Nov 12, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #772 of 1,122
You know, I have had the Metro Fi 170's and the Monster Turbines for a few months now. You know what I have concluded so far?

The Metro Fi's, at a third of the price, actually sound better than the Turbines. I really thought I would love the Turbines more but it is a very confusing earphone. The sound is very rich but the sound stage is smaller than the 170's, and the clarity is not quite as good. The driver is also not as fast, and the treble is and bass detail is kind of drowned out in comparison. What it has instead is, I dunno... "body." The sound is very colored, though not in a particularly bad way. It sounds great actually and the sound doesn't hurt the ear after long listens, and lends well in certain genres like R&B, House, Chillout, Latin, and many types of Jazz. In other genres that I prefer to sound clean like Hard Rock or Acoustic it gives a certain "echo" to the sound which is not unwelcome.

But despite that I find that the clean but not thin sound of the Metro Fi's on the whole sound better. The Turbines give a nice listening experience for House and similar types of genres but the 170s are great in every genre I've listened to them with and hold their own against the Turbines even in genres you'd think a bass heavy monster like the Turbines would own.

And actually speaking of bass, the 170's have as much bass as the Turbines, only cleaner. Crazy. I don't know, I'm very confused over the Turbines, I don't know what to say. Common sense tells me it's 3x the price and 3x better but in actuality I find the Metro Fi's -- and I'm talking the low end UE model here -- are actually better overall.

Nov 12, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #773 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenswall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You say there is no other IEM housed in high quality metal? The UE MetroFi 220's, and the Etymotic Hf5's are both housed in aluminum.

pretty cleverly hidden metal then. mine is definitely plastic with a titanium coated driver.

Nov 12, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #775 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenswall /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the MetroFi 220 is housed is cheap plastic with a extra cheap layer of "bling bling' goodness, while the HF5 is housed in sturdy plastic. No metal here. Only other "high quality metal" would be the Phiaton PS200.

There's also those $500-2000 earphones coming from Final Audio that's made from Copper/Nickel and some other kinds of metal. Other than that, don't think anything else out there is made of good metal.

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #776 of 1,122
Anyone A/B the Turbines with the SC Titans? The graphs on Headroom look amazingly identical. Even the square wave responses. They have to have the same engine.
http://www.headphone.com/buildAGraph.php?graphID[0]=1333&graphID[1]=1343&graphID[2]=&graphID[3]=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones

I love my Titans on the Nano 5G, but on better players, not so much & suspect that the Turbines would sound similar. Any first hand tests?
Cheers,
kev

Nov 24, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #777 of 1,122
Speaking of metal I'm pretty sure the VModa Vibes are housed in nice aluminum.

Nov 29, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #779 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the MetroFi 220 is housed is cheap plastic with a extra cheap layer of "bling bling' goodness, while the HF5 is housed in sturdy plastic. No metal here. Only other "high quality metal" would be the Phiaton PS200.

My super.fi 4 was aluminum throughout.

Nov 29, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #780 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by omega52 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone A/B the Turbines with the SC Titans? The graphs on Headroom look amazingly identical. Even the square wave responses. They have to have the same engine.
http://www.headphone.com/buildAGraph.php?graphID[0]=1333&graphID[1]=1343&graphID[2]=&graphID[3]=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones

I love my Titans on the Nano 5G, but on better players, not so much & suspect that the Turbines would sound similar. Any first hand tests?
Cheers,
kev

I doubt the Turbines would be at all popular here if they sounded like anything SC. I have heard the Titans, and they aren't worth $10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back