Monster Turbine Appreciation Thread
Mar 30, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #76 of 1,122
about specs: i don't see where any iem specs really matter: the number that can acutally hit above 17k is very very small and those that can be felt below 50 or so is also the same.

whether flat or not is also not important really. i mean, if we want flat, we had better go ck10, er4s or maybe phonak but im not sure on that. sa6 is purported to be flat also. who knows.

the turbine are amazing and that is where i will stand.

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #78 of 1,122
WOW after 3 days of full burn in, i bought the new black eyed peas single BOOM BOOM POW lol the bass is soo much better now! great sound im loving it
great bass test for your turbines!
my equalizer is set to rock with a little bass on.

Mar 30, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #79 of 1,122
Over at headphoneinfo.com they ranked the Senn MM50iP's considerably better then the Turbines.

http://www.headphoneinfo.com/content...omparisons.htm

They get rather technical with their analysis. They show the frequency response, distortion, and tracking graphs. The Turbines get top scores for their frequency response, but bad numbers for their distortion. Take a look and see what you think. I have a hard time believing that the Senn MM50iP's are that good of IEM's for under $100, them being an iphone branded IEM and all.

Monster Turbines Headphones Review - In-ear - Reviews of Headphones and Headphone Ratings - HeadphoneInfo.com

Mar 30, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #80 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foe-hammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Over at headphoneinfo.com they ranked the Senn MM50iP's considerably better then the Turbines.

Monster Turbines Headphones Review - In-ear - Reviews of Headphones and Headphone Ratings - HeadphoneInfo.com

They get rather technical with their analysis. They show the frequency response, distortion, and tracking graphs. The Turbines get top scores for their frequency response, but bad numbers for their distortion. Take a look and see what you think. I have a hard time believing that the Senn MM50iP's are that good of IEM's for under $100, them being an iphone branded IEM and all.

yeah yeah ive read that before i bought mine and i was still happy, you still need to hear for yourself and not listen to the numbers..

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #81 of 1,122
After a whole weekend of playing pink noise through my turbines I sat down with some of the tracks I was evaluating before.

Overall, the bass muddiness is not much improved, but I stumbled on something which most of you have probablyalready realized. These earphones benefit a lot from the an appropriately paired EQ setting. I'm generally opposed to applying any kind of EQ on my Ipod Touch 2g, but both the "Acoustic" and "Loudness" settings did miracles for enhancing the visceral (full body) experience with these phones. Not only is the Bass more tight and punchy, I notice that the mid-range action has cleaned up quite a bit. Obviously, both of these EQ settings share a "smile" profile, so there is emphasis on the bass and treble, but instead of over-emphasizing the muddiness it appears to have tightened it.

I'm eagerly awaiting my Sony Hybrid Inserts to see how they work with these phones. Can someone suggest a foam insert that works well with these?

Mar 30, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #82 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by neutraloss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After a whole weekend of playing pink noise through my turbines I sat down with some of the tracks I was evaluating before.

Overall, the bass muddiness is not much improved, but I stumbled on something which most of you have probablyalready realized.

I think the bass muddiness for me improved with some burn-in may be 50 hours or so. But the high-end clarity never did. I find the highs too recessed for my tastes. While the bass is fairly visceral I find that it isn't as tight as I;d like and not fast.

I like the Turbine but I am not wowed by them. May be I am just not wowed by dynamic driver based phones.

Mar 30, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #86 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foe-hammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a hard time believing that the Senn MM50iP's are that good of IEM's for under $100, them being an iphone branded IEM and all.

tbh, the Nuforce NE-7M are iPhone compatible earphones and they are renowned here as the best in their price bracket, a big one (consumer wise) at sub $50.
And yes, I rate the NE-7M over the Head-Direct RE2.

Mar 30, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #87 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not sure why you think they are muddy but: what other phones have you used?

These are the IEMs I own and have owned:
IEM:- Shure SCL4, Phonak PFE, Jays D-Jays, UE SF3, JVC fx66 aircushions NE-7m (returned long ago)
Headphones: ATH-ES7, AKG k81 DJ, KSC75, PX100

I just did a quick round of comparisons between the PFE, Turbine, ES7 and K 81 DJ with my iPhone and Ibasso T4. I am comparing phones at similar price points or sound signatures.

The ES7 and PFE sound similar. The ES7 is the brightest of the bunch. The Turbine and K 81 DJ sound similar.

The bass just doesn't have the detail of the PFE or ES7 . I hear more textures in the bass with those event though they don't have as much bass as the other two. The K 81 DJ have more clarity than the Turbine but they are close.

I tried the Best of Chesky Jazz and Audiophile test cd's Bass resonance test again with the same setup and phones.

The Turbines do the worst in the test. The bass overpowers the string plucks. The string plucks don't have the detail and definition they should. The K 81 DJ does better. The ES7 and PFE do pretty good. The ES7 is the best in this test with the PFE fairly close.

The Turbine sound the muddiest to me. The Bass, which there is a lot of isn't as detailed.

May be muddy isn't the right word. Too me the bass bleeds into the upper frequencies. I find this to be true especially when I compare it to my other phones. If I listen to the Turbines on their own they sound good if a little recessed in the highs.

Mar 30, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #88 of 1,122
well there certainly is more bass presence in the turbine when compared to the pfe. i have both also and have had the er4s, um2 and e500 an ck10. not that that makes a difference but i think texture and bass detail are two different things. i never felt texture when listening to any of the above but with turbine i do. some of the others, i hear maybe a bit more, but probably just a different presentation.

never felt bad about how the turbine present themselves at all. but that is of course, listening preferences more than anything else.

Mar 30, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #89 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
has anyone heard both the IE7 and turbine?

i have my IE7's coming this week... just wondering if it's worth it to almost get the Turbine for comparison....

or is the IE7 a clear winner?

It depends what you're looking for from the sound. The Turbines are much warmer than the IE7, with a smaller soundstage. But the soundstage isn't narrow on the Turbines by any means, it's just that the IE7 and IE8 have incredibly big soundstages which make other IEM's soundstages seem so much smaller by comparison
biggrin.gif

Anyway, the IE7 is a really nice earphone. Everything sounds natural with them, vocals are smooth, bass is prominent but not intrusive at all, and highs are acceptable, not the sparkliest I've ever heard, but certainly adequate enough if you plan to just listen to the music, and not analyse it for flaws. They're more neutral than the Turbines, less warm, more balanced, but still very involving.

The Turbines seem to have even more bass, very smooth upfront vocals and 'louder' highs. I've detected a little sibilance with them in the short time I've been using them, nothing major, but I'm aware of it. I didn't ever find the IE7 to be sibilant at all, but that's possibly because I was lucky enough to get a great fit and seal with them. The Turbines remind me of the IE8 but with a reduced soundstage of about 50%, which is what I think makes them sound so much warmer. They're both very nice, but I really don't think you'll regret buying the IE7 at all
smile.gif

Mar 31, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #90 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well there certainly is more bass presence in the turbine when compared to the pfe.

Yes the turbine have more bass but I find the PFE's quality of bass more to my liking. The turbines decay slowly and lack detail in the mid to high frequencies. For example, the bass string plucks in the Bass resonance tests.

Quote:

i have both also and have had the er4s, um2 and e500 an ck10. not that that makes a difference but i think texture and bass detail are two different things. i never felt texture when listening to any of the above but with turbine i do. some of the others, i hear maybe a bit more, but probably just a different presentation.

I think I agree with you about the feeling the bass in your head part with the turbines. I just wish it had less bass empahasis.

Quote:

never felt bad about how the turbine present themselves at all. but that is of course, listening preferences more than anything else.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying the turbines are bad. Far from it. I think my pet peeves are more to do with dynamic driver based phones. I have heard the NE-7M and the Turbines and they share similar traits.

I think my preference is BA driver based phones. May be the Senn IE series will change my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back