Monster Turbine Appreciation Thread
Apr 9, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #197 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so, you got two pair? nice!

Well amazon sent me a second because i told them i thought mine where defective (but turns out they are not) so they sent me another asap and i have 30 days to send them back my old ones..thats why i buy from amazon
biggrin.gif
anyway monster already made a little change on them.. and ill keep my old pair because they are burned in and sound better then what they sent me.

Apr 9, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #198 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by SchneiderStudios /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my replacement today and they have the same problem, but i did find out monster change the newer turbines a little, they stop putting "Turbine" on the 3.5mm jack and they made the print grey rather then white. so now its only Monster on both sides in grey.

I got the "grey" edition. Any difference in sound performance?

Apr 10, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #200 of 1,122
I'm debating getting these or not. No lie, I just read every single post on every single page of this thread, since I need a new IEM so bad.

I have never owned an IEM before, and the only in-ear headphone I have ever used was my JVC Marshmellows which just recently died. They were amazing though; great isolation, NO cable noise, very nice bass, especially with the acoustic equalizer on my Zune 30 (which I will only be using my new IEM with).

I hope you guys can help me, so let me say a few things first. My main music genre is metal[core], with bands such as All That Remains or August Burns Red. My life revolves around music, and drums play a huge role in it. I need an IEM that delivers amazing isolation, while having the ability to show each individual part of a drum set as if you were standing beside someone playing the exact same song.

My Marshmellows also hurt the piss out of my ear with more than 2 hours of consecutive listening, even with the amazingly soft tips, which I LOVED. I dont know why, but I need something that...well...feels as if they are not in my ear.

I really dont understand what highs/lows are, or what soundstage really means, since I just joined this site and have never owned an IEM before. My budget is $150. The IEMs I have been debating over so far are the Turbines, PFEs, and IE7s (even though they are highly priced). Please help me guys, thanks.

Apr 10, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #201 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by lnvisible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really dont understand what highs/lows are, or what soundstage really means, since I just joined this site and have never owned an IEM before. My budget is $150. The IEMs I have been debating over so far are the Turbines, PFEs, and IE7s (even though they are highly priced). Please help me guys, thanks.

Highs refers to high frequency sounds and lows refers to low frequency sounds. This page (A look at the audible frequency spectrum - Effects and Signal Processing - Home Recording Studio Help) will give you a rough idea of how certain instruments and their sounds fall across the frequency spectrum. I can't comment on how accurate it is, but the idea is there.

As for soundstage, there's a thread here (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sou...inition-86782/) which describes what it is pretty well.

Apr 10, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #202 of 1,122
Got my turbines today, great sound but unfortunately I have a dud
frown.gif

For some reason the right earbud plays at about half the volume compared to the left one, has anyone else had an issue like this?

Also, are these things available at any major retailers? I have a flight next and would like to just pick these up while I process the exchange through the online dealer i bought it from but I cant seem to find any that carry these...

Apr 10, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #203 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by DTKZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Highs refers to high frequency sounds and lows refers to low frequency sounds. This page (A look at the audible frequency spectrum - Effects and Signal Processing - Home Recording Studio Help) will give you a rough idea of how certain instruments and their sounds fall across the frequency spectrum. I can't comment on how accurate it is, but the idea is there.

As for soundstage, there's a thread here (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sou...inition-86782/) which describes what it is pretty well.

Awesome man! Thanks for the help.

According to the soundstage definition, that seems like something that I would absolutely LOVE to have in an IEM. Do you have anything suggestions on that, including my previous post for some according IEMs?

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #204 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeri534 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my turbines today, great sound but unfortunately I have a dud
frown.gif

For some reason the right earbud plays at about half the volume compared to the left one, has anyone else had an issue like this?

Also, are these things available at any major retailers? I have a flight next and would like to just pick these up while I process the exchange through the online dealer i bought it from but I cant seem to find any that carry these...

No, but it could be the music or song your playing, maybe the sound source. try and see.
also make sure you ear tip seals are even at both ears.

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #205 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by lnvisible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome man! Thanks for the help.

According to the soundstage definition, that seems like something that I would absolutely LOVE to have in an IEM. Do you have anything suggestions on that, including my previous post for some according IEMs?

I haven't heard the PFEs or IE7s myself, so I'm not in a position to comment on how your 3 choices compare to one another. I would warn you not to get your hopes up too high on soundstage though. Soundstage is usually one of the weaknesses of IEMS when compared to headphones and also depends on how the original audio is recorded and mixed.

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #206 of 1,122
For what it's worth, I have noticed that separation seems to be much stronger on the Turbines than most of my other IEMs. I have been listening using my iPhone 3G, which seems to have a very good h/p out compared to my other iPods, and the Turbines are much better at L/R separation, sometimes even being almost 3D with good L/R and F/R.

Anyway, another datapoint, these are still nice.

Apr 10, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #207 of 1,122
I guess what I came mainly in this thread to ask was can I get all this with a Turbine, and if not, what IEM provides all this for <$175:

-More than well noise isolation
-Seperation of each instrument, and the ability to clearly decipher it. Mainly for me is drums and bass guitar
-Very comfortable, and can easily be worn for consecutive hours without ear pain (I will probably get some Comply tips no matter what I buy though)
-Superior bass, yet never overpowers anything else

Base suggestions off this please.

Apr 10, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #208 of 1,122
I don't know if this is the best place to be asking about which IEM to get (you should probably start a new thread) but you might want to look into the Klipsch X5's as they are supposed to be very comfortable with excellent noise isolation. I personally do not find the Monsters to be comfortable because their tips are too big for my ears, but they do have excellent sound quality and, judging from the posts by other users here, can't be beat for the money.

On a side note, can anyone recommend some replacement tips for me?

Apr 11, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #210 of 1,122
It's nice to see how many people are actually comparing the Monster Turbines to some of the other well known IEMs here on Head-Fi. I've seen multiple threads going on with people in decision of either the Turbines, IE7, IE8, PFE or other IEMs. I guess this thread had much of it's impact on those decisions.

I find the stock tips form Monster okay but I feel it could be better. I want to try the Comply T-400s, but Amazon doesn't accept Paypal and no where else sells them. I don't want to pay a premium on ebay for them.

Anyone have some that they no longer use or unsatisfied with that they're willing to sell?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back