Monster Turbine Appreciation Thread
Apr 8, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #181 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thksnow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone purchased the Turbines on Ebay from "hi-end-wholesale"? They seem to have the cheapest price ($101 w/free shipping), but I'm a little leary with the look of their site.

MacMall is probably a safer choice. Has anyone had a bad experiency buying them from MacMall? The CSR indicated that they were definitely in stock, even though on the web site it shows availability as "Generally in stock". I need them by next Weds at the latest, but I don't really want to pay for expedited shipping.....

I ordered mine from MacMall. I placed my first order through Paypal but they said the order didn't go through which was probably my fault. Their Customer Support was really quick to respond and worked on my case to get the order cancelled with Paypal and my money was refunded. I placed the order again and it came on Monday. Overall, very fast shipping and no problems what so ever. I've been loving these turbines ever since. I can't put them down.

P.S: When I called in last Thursday, they said they had 100+ in stock.

Apr 8, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #183 of 1,122
I bought mine from highend wholesale and had a great transaction. Same as posted previously, I had them in one day. There is currently 11% cashback available through live cashback for eBay. First, add the Turbines to your watched items in My Ebay. Go to the live search site and search for wii or prety much anything else and it should return the live cashback listing for ebay at the top of the page. Click the link and it will take you to ebay. You should now see a cashback icon on your screen. Go to My Ebay and find the auction for the turbines. Just make sure you still see the cashback icon all the way through the process. You will have to wait the 60days to receive your cashback.

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #184 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thksnow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the comment, but does anyone know how to get the Live Cashback to work for MacMall for the Turbines?? I'd like to save the extra ~5%!!

Looks to me like it's down to 3% at MacMall (or 3.1% at ClubMac...where the Turbines are actually $99.99 to start
biggrin.gif
). See here.

Apr 8, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #185 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by dosley01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought mine from highend wholesale and had a great transaction. Same as posted previously, I had them in one day. There is currently 11% cashback available through live cashback for eBay. First, add the Turbines to your watched items in My Ebay. Go to the live search site and search for wii or prety much anything else and it should return the live cashback listing for ebay at the top of the page. Click the link and it will take you to ebay. You should now see a cashback icon on your screen. Go to My Ebay and find the auction for the turbines. Just make sure you still see the cashback icon all the way through the process. You will have to wait the 60days to receive your cashback.

Thanks very much for the tip! I must have had a brain cramp as I didn't think about the Live Cashback on Ebay. It worked like a charm and I got the 11% Live Cashback as well as 2% for the new "Ebay Bucks" (only good for 30 days after issue, but better than nothing). Certainly a much better deal than via MacMall. Additionally, they say they've already shipped and should be delivered by this Friday (via FedEx), which I'm very happy about.

Apr 9, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #188 of 1,122
Agree that it will be interesting to see the new comments.

I have been using my UEs primarily for the past month just to make sure I wasn't interpreting the Turbines as a FOTM, but damn, the Turbines are still good. Maybe a little warm, but not lacking in the mids or trebles whatsoever, and a very pleasing sound.

Apr 9, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #189 of 1,122
Hmm, interestingly enough, the crackling sound made when I stood up too quickly has stopped after ~10 hours of burning them in. Could the burning in have anything to do with it? I am perplexed.

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #190 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by rytheguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, interestingly enough, the crackling sound made when I stood up too quickly has stopped after ~10 hours of burning them in. Could the burning in have anything to do with it? I am perplexed.

weird mine didnt stop after burn in, ill get my replacement tomorrow and ill see

Apr 9, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #191 of 1,122
Hi fellow Turbine owners! I was looking at my box of IEM tips the other day

DSC00876SmallCustom.jpg

(Bonus points if you can recognize what earphone box that is.)

when I remembered seeing some posts by Average_Joe in a couple of IE8 threads on how to put some foam into silicone tips. Since the stock Turbine tips are shaped like bulbs, I thought that they'd be ideal for this purpose.

DSC00846SmallCustom.jpg

Left: Stock medium single flange tips. Right: Foam tips from UE 5Pros.

First you remove the plastic core from the foam tips. Be careful not to rip the foam when you take the plastic core out. They might be glued in.
DSC00848SmallCustom.jpg

Left: Stock medium single flange tips. Middle: Foam tips from UE 5Pros. Right: Plastic core from foam tips.

Turn silicone tip inside out.
DSC00852SmallCustom.jpg

Insert the tube part of the silicone tip through foam tip.
DSC00871SmallCustom.jpg

Place silicone tip back onto the Turbines.
DSC00855SmallCustom.jpg

Compress the foam against the bulbous part of the silicone tip so it becomes a foam ring.
DSC00878SmallCustom.jpg

Roll the bulb back over the foam and voila!
DSC00858SmallCustom.jpg

After doing this, I found the bass became a little less boomy and more defined and gave the overall sound more (not too sure how to describe this) presence? If anyone else tries this out, I'd like to hear what they think.

Apr 9, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #193 of 1,122
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks good, but i would probably just cut away the flange and use the foamie! i am not much of a silicon flange guy. great job though!

Hahaha! Thanks Shigezo. I thought you'd say that though considering your feelings on silicone vs. foam. This little mod does have some other practical uses though. I have hands that sweat a lot and having to scrunch up foam (a absorbent material) with sweaty hands and then stick it in your ears isn't a pleasant thought. I also figure that since the foam is covered by the silicone, it should prevent the foam from becoming gross and covered with ear wax. Plus, I just like the convenience of silicone and it's a nice compromise between the two materials for me.

Apr 9, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #194 of 1,122
The foam under silicone mod has been done, as you noted, and the latest iteration of it was done by Average_Joe in the IE8 thread. I've tried it with the PFEs and the IE8s, and always felt that it was not comfy or something. I had the Turbines too (sold them), but was lucky enough to get a good seal with the smaller single-flange silicones (and the Sony Hybrid tips worked too).

Apr 9, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #195 of 1,122
I got my replacement today and they have the same problem, but i did find out monster change the newer turbines a little, they stop putting "Turbine" on the 3.5mm jack and they made the print grey rather then white. so now its only Monster on both sides in grey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back