Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
Apr 23, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #511 of 2,269
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyperfluxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Eric! Hey, can you link me to this SoundMatters guy I remember seeing him post, but couldn't find him. It's been two weeks that I've been asking for white foamies, but I got no response. Hopefully he could get them to me too.

I just realized what "warmth" is in the world of audio. The RE0 was my first IEM, and these sounded different when I put them in my ear, but I couldn't describe it. I can't say that I like warmth, for now at least. The warmth of the MD's screen the clarity and separation of the instruments a little bit, something that was a little better on my RE0 which was neutral. Overall though, I prefer these to the RE0 by a BIG margin. Heh, I just sold my RE0 to a friend of mine at school today.

I wish that these earphones had an "invisibility cloak mode" so they wouldn't be so blingy in public, everyone will want to touch and hear them tomorrow at school >_>

@anal
How do you personally feel that the MD's compare to the CK10's? I'm fairly interested in those too.

you can go to your user CP (upper left corner of the window) and choose send a person message (pm) and type in soundmatters12 and you can tell him about your need for white foam supertips for your MD (they come in 5 sizes, so try describing the Monster tips that work for you).

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #512 of 2,269
Regarding Miles Davis and white hybrid foam Supertips: What I'm finding is that the size of the tips definitely make a difference with the sound.. For example, the Orots are to be inserted in your canal for the best sound, but the Copper and MD are different..They shouldn't be placed deep inside of your ear canal (like they were when I had a medium hybrid foam... It takes away from the treble. But I now have a large and extra large foam SuperTips. I'm using the large, and it basically seals my canal without having the whole tip rest inside of the canal. It just seals the canal. And the sound is freakin wonderful!! I hear everything!! BAss, great mids of course, and nice treble details.

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #513 of 2,269
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyperfluxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@anal
How do you personally feel that the MD's compare to the CK10's? I'm fairly interested in those too.

CK10s are more analytical and neutral compared to the MDs. If you're coming from RE0s, you already have a general idea of their sound signature. Like most neutral phones, CK10s don't have full and rich bass as MDs do but I don't think they are lacking in anyways. The bass is tight and punchy enough to bring trance music to a very engaging level.

Another difference is the upper mid area where I think MDs do better of a job at portraying the real timbre of instruments. However, as I find it very similar to the AD2000s, the slight touch of color in the CK10s' upper mids make electric guitars sing with such authority, with bite and power. As ericp10 pointed out in an earlier post, the MDs don't do better of a job when it comes to rock music and electric guitars.

Lastly, the highs on the CK10s are more extended and detailed than MDs. I can pick up more details in the high hats and cymbals on the CK10s than on the MDs, but that can also be a bad thing for you if you're not used to extended highs. If you found occasional sibilance in you RE0s and it made you uncomfortable, you may have a hard time with the CK10s as I can almost bet that CK10s are more brighter than RE0s. Using the right tips definitely fixed that problem for me but I cannot say the same for the others.

Bottome line:
If you value sweetness in the mid range and prefer musical phones, MDs are better choice for you. But if you value, somewhat neutral, detail oriented characteristics, CK10s are better choice for you.

Apr 23, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #514 of 2,269
I am curious... what DAP do you guys use for the MDs? Im listening from my musiland 02 and my sansa clip+ and the difference is way too large(well obviously but.. I don't even enjoy the MDs on the clip+ might as well listen on 30 dollar sonys). Does anyone here have an easy solution(maybe the sony x series or the cowon j3 - sflo seems to bulky for me since im on the go)? I've also listened on a 1st gen Itouch and nano, neither impressed me either.
Perhaps I just am expecting too much from a DAP.... it's just an amp on the go is too much :/

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #516 of 2,269
Haha, I am very curious to other MD users impressions about DAPs.. and also as to what tips people have found to fit the best? I'm using the small black tips(mine didn't come with white supertips or maybe that only comes with copper).
But yep.. the MDs from any decent source - so so amazing... I'm dying to be able to get anything close on the go.... though microphonics are annoying. I think there was a shirt clip that came with the MDs but I I lost it
frown.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #517 of 2,269
Quote:

Originally Posted by EphemeralHope /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am curious... what DAP do you guys use for the MDs? Im listening from my musiland 02 and my sansa clip+ and the difference is way too large(well obviously but.. I don't even enjoy the MDs on the clip+ might as well listen on 30 dollar sonys). Does anyone here have an easy solution(maybe the sony x series or the cowon j3 - sflo seems to bulky for me since im on the go)? I've also listened on a 1st gen Itouch and nano, neither impressed me either.
Perhaps I just am expecting too much from a DAP.... it's just an amp on the go is too much :/

Hello EphemeralHope. I use several different DAP because I have vast music media library since one of my gigs is music journalist. I use iPods 160gb Classic (most recent), 120gb Classic (two-year-old model), nano 16gb ('08 model), Sony S545 16gb, and second generation 1gb iPod shuffle.

The MD sounds great on all of these directly connected IMO. I think it really shines, however, directly connected to the nano and to the Sony. The Sony seems to give the MDs a better soundstage and a more natural sound. The nano gives the best sound from a non-eqed and un-amped source.

With that said, I usually amp my Sony and nano ( don't do the Classics so much and I don't know why). The MDs really shine using the Fiio E5 with the Sony and nano. I also have a Fiio E1, but I haven't really used it much with the MDs to make a sound assessment as of yet.

As for tips, I have medium-large to large ear canals. I've said on another thread that I find that the MDs do not respond well to deep insertion for the best sound (as some other iems do) as it does to a great seal. I was using some medium Monster white foam hybrid tips someone gave to me, which basically gave me a deep insertion. The sound was good, but took away a lot of the treble.

Recently, I received large white foam hybrids tips. With these tips I don't get a deep insertion, but it covers and fills up my entire ear canal to give me a tight seal. The sound is wonderful!! I get great bass, the wonderful MD mids are retained, and all of the treble is there. So this works best for me to get the most out of the MDs. So tips results will vary with the size of your ear canals. And I have found each tip size can alter the sound to some extent. You have to fiddle around and find what's the best fit to the sound you like. One fit/solution will not work for all.

I will say this, the Radio Shack Auvio tips and the Senn. double flanges gave the best soundstage for the MDs (and Copper) before I found that Monster's own hybrid foam tips are the best solution for me. Happy listening!
smile_phones.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #518 of 2,269
Quote:

Originally Posted by EphemeralHope /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I couldn't agree more about the Clip+. In fact I had to open a thread on that issue alone just to make sure I wasn't crazy after all the hype the Clip+ got. The problem w/ recommendations are the immense number of unconsidered variables when people start espousing their opinions, especially in the DAP thread. I have an SFlo2 on preorder for batch 3, I'll let you know how that works out w/ the MD's. They definitely have the power I want to drive the MD's w/o an amp, my concern is the synergy of the HO w/ the MD's and whether I need to go LO w/ a resistor to get the proper signature. BTW, the SFlo2 and the Sony X are almost identical in size....

Apr 23, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #519 of 2,269
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn't agree more about the Clip+. In fact I had to open a thread on that issue alone just to make sure I wasn't crazy after all the hype the Clip+ got. The problem w/ recommendations are the immense number of unconsidered variables when people start espousing their opinions, especially in the DAP thread. I have an SFlo2 on preorder for batch 3, I'll let you know how that works out w/ the MD's. They definitely have the power I want to drive the MD's w/o an amp, my concern is the synergy of the HO w/ the MD's and whether I need to go LO w/ a resistor to get the proper signature. BTW, the SFlo2 and the Sony X are almost identical in size....

Haha yeah, the SFlo2 seems to be the best solution, but it isn't very mobile from what I've read... especially short battery life(since I'm walking around or studying most of the time and not able to charge it for perhaps 2-3 days on end). Very curious how it sounds though
smily_headphones1.gif

And.. called monster and got the supertips - they just asked for my shipping address with no need for confirmation... they must be used to it by now
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #521 of 2,269
yeah.. maybe, but if too many people call they'd prob be suspicious. I also somehow ended up at radioshack today so I got a pair of auvio tips(maybe I mispelled) - gonna try those tommorow while I wait for my suptertips... and if it helps, I called right before they closed (they close at 4:45 pst and I called at 4:30..)

Apr 24, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #522 of 2,269
Special shout out to Soundmatters! PM'd me my tips were in the mail one day, next day they were at my door! Thx!!

Man I used to have only 2 sizes of supertips to choose from...now I'm so confused!!
tongue.gif

Awesome!

Apr 24, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #523 of 2,269
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Special shout out to Soundmatters! PM'd me my tips were in the mail one day, next day they were at my door! Thx!!

Man I used to have only 2 sizes of supertips to choose from...now I'm so confused!!
tongue.gif

Awesome!

Mm.. can't wait to get my supertips now - but I'm really liking the auvio tips so I can wait
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #525 of 2,269
Talked to Soundmatters eight days ago and I still haven't got the tips yet.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back