Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
Apr 22, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #496 of 2,269
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ x2

The Golds, MD's and Coppers sounded great out of the fuze unamped.

@justinxbailey: the MD's are much warmer than the RE0. They are borderline too warm for me depending on the type of music played that day.

oh ok, i have the coppers and at first I felt they were a bit warm for me. but I absolutely love them now. any warmer than the coppers and I don't know if I'll like that.. hmmmm...

Apr 22, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #497 of 2,269
The MD's are noticeably warmer than the Coppers. If you dont want more then look elsewhere imo.

Apr 22, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #498 of 2,269
A month ago I caved in to marketing and purchased the Bose QC noise canceling headphones for $299. While the noise canceling is second to none, the music was not any better than my Sony $39 earbuds. Plus they were big and bulky. Back to Best Buy they went.

So I have been lurking on head-fi.org for the past 2 week looking for the "BEST" all around sounding In Ear headphones. I was going to go for the Shure 530, but saw the Miles Davis Monsters at Fry's in Vegas. Since I .had read alot about them on this thread, I decided to take the $$$ (also I had a Fry's gift card)

I just unwrapped and plugged them into my laptop and started listening to my Zune Content. WOW- I am practically in tears listening to the sounds these produce! The music is so alive- so rich- top hat, bass, symbols, etc.... where has this headphone sound been all these years. I am so happy I went with these vs. the Coppers, as my music taste if very broad. I am still trying to master the correct plug- the default ones were a bit to big (but they package 8 pairs for trail and error)

Thx All for your postings!!!

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #499 of 2,269
Quote:

Originally Posted by jasperkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A month ago I caved in to marketing and purchased the Bose QC noise canceling headphones for $299. While the noise canceling is second to none, the music was not any better than my Sony $39 earbuds. Plus they were big and bulky. Back to Best Buy they went.

So I have been lurking on head-fi.org for the past 2 week looking for the "BEST" all around sounding In Ear headphones. I was going to go for the Shure 530, but saw the Miles Davis Monsters at Fry's in Vegas. Since I .had read alot about them on this thread, I decided to take the $$$ (also I had a Fry's gift card)

I just unwrapped and plugged them into my laptop and started listening to my Zune Content. WOW- I am practically in tears listening to the sounds these produce! The music is so alive- so rich- top hat, bass, symbols, etc.... where has this headphone sound been all these years. I am so happy I went with these vs. the Coppers, as my music taste if very broad. I am still trying to master the correct plug- the default ones were a bit to big (but they package 8 pairs for trail and error)

Thx All for your postings!!!

Welcome to the club! I too have had the odd tear well up in the corner of my eye once or twice. Kinda hard to part w/ anything that does that to ya...

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #500 of 2,269
Apr 22, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #501 of 2,269
Tightest seal possible w/o causing any discomfort IMO.

Make sure not to insert too deep, that will affect your SQ.

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #502 of 2,269
Well, I just picked them up from my local post office. I've been listening for about 15 minutes now. It's tough to get a good fit, and all the tips have a different sound, but these IEM's look magnificent! They look even better than in the pictures, and they're so shiny (fingerprint magnet). So far, I really like the sound, it's so smooth, and they don't do anything wrong. I am not noticing anything standing out though thus far, but we'll see after 100 hours. Coming right away from the RE0, I can notice that the treble is has a little less sparkle and extension, but it's no big deal. The guitars sound so rich on the MD's!

So what does everyone think is the best tip for these included in the box? Also, am I the only one that didn't have the Miles Davis CD's and audio test CD included? I can't seem to find them :S Oh well, the seller probably removed it to save shipping cost.

Apr 23, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #503 of 2,269
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyperfluxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I just picked them up from my local post office. I've been listening for about 15 minutes now. It's tough to get a good fit, and all the tips have a different sound, but these IEM's look magnificent! They look even better than in the pictures, and they're so shiny (fingerprint magnet). So far, I really like the sound, it's so smooth, and they don't do anything wrong. I am not noticing anything standing out though thus far, but we'll see after 100 hours. Coming right away from the RE0, I can notice that the treble is has a little less sparkle and extension, but it's no big deal. The guitars sound so rich on the MD's!

So what does everyone think is the best tip for these included in the box? Also, am I the only one that didn't have the Miles Davis CD's and audio test CD included? I can't seem to find them :S Oh well, the seller probably removed it to save shipping cost.

Welcome to the MD world @ Hyper. In the first shipment of MDs and Coppers - so it appears - all items advertised didn't make it in the packing. That happened to me and others. Actually, today, I just finally got the foam supertips that were supposed to be in the packaging after a couple of months of reaching out to Monster (I'm not criticizing them; once I reached the right person - SoundMatters2 here - things happend. Thank you @ SoundMatters!! Tips will affect the sound...I will post something about that on another thread. Welcome to the club.

Apr 23, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #504 of 2,269
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyperfluxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That was exactly like my initial impression. I felt that they didn't do anything particularly special right out the box, except the bass. Then, the mid on the MDs started growing on me and the bass got tightened up using the silicon tip. Now, I'm liking them quite a bit. I think they are a good complementary phones to my CK10s and PFEs.

Apr 23, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #505 of 2,269
Thanks Eric! Hey, can you link me to this SoundMatters guy I remember seeing him post, but couldn't find him. It's been two weeks that I've been asking for white foamies, but I got no response. Hopefully he could get them to me too.

I just realized what "warmth" is in the world of audio. The RE0 was my first IEM, and these sounded different when I put them in my ear, but I couldn't describe it. I can't say that I like warmth, for now at least. The warmth of the MD's screen the clarity and separation of the instruments a little bit, something that was a little better on my RE0 which was neutral. Overall though, I prefer these to the RE0 by a BIG margin. Heh, I just sold my RE0 to a friend of mine at school today.

I wish that these earphones had an "invisibility cloak mode" so they wouldn't be so blingy in public, everyone will want to touch and hear them tomorrow at school >_>

@anal
How do you personally feel that the MD's compare to the CK10's? I'm fairly interested in those too.

Apr 23, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #506 of 2,269
Hey @ Hyperfluxe, I met SoundMatter here in this forum (actually in the Copper thread). I think he reads the threads from time to time. So my suggestion would be to do just what you've done here and post that you're looking for him (maybe in the Copper thread). If he can, I think he'll help you. I don't have any private email or phone number for him buddy. Sorry...

Apr 23, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #508 of 2,269
I am using the small silicon tips that came in a silver bag with the kit. The trick I have found was to slightly moisten them and then they make a great & comfortable seal.

Choices...choices....do I use the hard box or soft pouch to transfer them in :)

Apr 23, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #509 of 2,269
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I continue to be amazed by how many people don't notice any grain or thinness on the Sansas (rockboxed or not). My friend noticed it on his Fuze V2 from the very first minute and I have a Clip+, just reconfirmed it A/Bing it once again w/ a 2g Nano.

Are you guys listening to MP3's or something?

Yep, I'm listening to MP3s or something...
rolleyes.gif
Primarily v0 LAME-encoded ones -- although I personally lack the opinion that the use of well-encoded MP3s automatically relegates one to the depths audio ignorance.
wink.gif
It's probably no surprise that I find the Fuze smoother, more resolving, and more extended than my previous portable of choice, Sansa's notoriously mediocre-sounding e280...but I find myself preferring it to even the sonically acclaimed TrekStor Vibez and the 2nd-gen Nano I recently purchased (thanks exclusively to my undying love of Rockbox). As a matter of fact, the Nano actually strikes me as the grainier of the two, and it also has boomier mid-bass, by which token I grant that it could be considered less "thin" than the Fuze...

In the end, I suppose it's just a matter of different pairings working for different ears. I'm glad we've both found something we enjoy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back