Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
Apr 19, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #451 of 2,269
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericp10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My vote would be for the MD on classical mainly because the mids take the strings to a rich out of this world level! The Copper does other things well, but strings aren't one of them. The instrument separation in the mids are also wonderful. Never heard the gold, but had the Copper and the MD... They complement each other...

Hi Eric! Thanks to Rawster (and Search), I had a chance to listen to the MDs (and golds and ortofons and CK10s). Fun!

I tried the MDs on a bunch of classical music, since that's the way I roll. Now, it's only my ears and I only had a relatively brief time, but I did some focused listening. Of course, the MDs are great earphones, they all are. I felt that I could hear clear differences in sound signature between the MDs and Coppers, a bit in the bass, and definitely in the warmer mids of the MDs and the less-sparkly treble sounds quite different as well. With archival mono recordings of small groups of instruments, the MDs sounded fantastic. It was as though it were a more modern recording, the slight thinness of the recording was compensated perfectly. I think I really see what they were going for in the MD's tuning across the spectrum, it really addresses every part of old recordings.

With modern recordings of late romantic strings (think of thick rich strings, lots of modulation and unmarked rubato sweeping you into Brahms' beer stein), the MDs did not complement the music in the same way. It was a bit artery-clogging(!) without the sparkly treble to brighten the now overly thick weight of the mids. That sort of music, with a modern recording, does not need the same tuning that a remaster of an old jazz trio record benefits so well from. So, I think the advantages of the MD's tuning may also work against it with modern recordings of musical styles that are already very rich in the mids, such as classical orchestral music.

Anyway, it's just my ears and for a relatively short time, but I think I got a sense of what makes the MDs a great set of earphones.

Apr 19, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #452 of 2,269
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kunlun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Eric! Thanks to Rawster (and Search), I had a chance to listen to the MDs (and golds and ortofons and CK10s). Fun!

I tried the MDs on a bunch of classical music, since that's the way I roll. Now, it's only my ears and I only had a relatively brief time, but I did some focused listening. Of course, the MDs are great earphones, they all are. I felt that I could hear clear differences in sound signature between the MDs and Coppers, a bit in the bass, and definitely in the warmer mids of the MDs and the less-sparkly treble sounds quite different as well. With archival mono recordings of small groups of instruments, the MDs sounded fantastic. It was as though it were a more modern recording, the slight thinness of the recording was compensated perfectly. I think I really see what they were going for in the MD's tuning across the spectrum, it really addresses every part of old recordings.

With modern recordings of late romantic strings (think of thick rich strings, lots of modulation and unmarked rubato sweeping you into Brahms' beer stein), the MDs did not complement the music in the same way. It was a bit artery-clogging(!) without the sparkly treble to brighten the now overly thick weight of the mids. That sort of music, with a modern recording, does not need the same tuning that a remaster of an old jazz trio record benefits so well from. So, I think the advantages of the MD's tuning may also work against it with modern recordings of musical styles that are already very rich in the mids, such as classical orchestral music.

Anyway, it's just my ears and for a relatively short time, but I think I got a sense of what makes the MDs a great set of earphones.

Interesting impressions @ Kunlun, and you may well be right about modern recording of classical orchestral music. I'm not a huge classical listener, but I love strings in jazz, pop and vintage r&b music. That's wear the MDs tend to shine for me in the stings section. The MDs don't shine on electric instruments - such as the electric guitar - like the Copper does, but acoustic guitar and bass sounds extraordinary to my ears. I understand everyone hears and appreciates music differently, so I really value your different perspective. Thanks again for you and rawster sharing.

Apr 19, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #453 of 2,269
Well the MD's definitely did impress me after the initial day or so of not sounding special. They definitely grow on you. They definitely do strings well but after having them for a while they probably aren't my first preference for phones if I was to own just one (that still belongs to the CK10 but e-Q7 is approaching it very fast) but they are as good as advertised in this thread. I did post a review along with some other phones that should be in the first page of this portable iem/headphone/earbud subforum.

Apr 19, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #454 of 2,269
ericp10;6569882 said:
The MDs don't shine on electric instruments - such as the electric guitar - like the Copper does

@ericp& kunlun , thanks buddys ,now im convinced the mds would not be to my liking, while i have a few dozen acustic albums most of my music is based around electric guitars and although i have many old recordings from the 50s i thind the thick warm sound of the ie7 & ie8 gives them a fuller sound and adds a bit of weight .

You guys just saved me some money, im looking foward to your impressions of the fx700 ericp , that could be my next iem or the ck10 or.........
k701smile.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #455 of 2,269
@ericp ,by the way ericp ,im playing those muddy waters albums with johnny winter,i dig it man !,all three are good, i think "im ready" is my favorate although "king bee" has some hot guitar licks in there buddy, "hard times "is no slouch either.

Apr 20, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #456 of 2,269
Just received the pair today, and this thing has bass!!! Right out the box, it's not doing anything special, by that I mean it's not doing anything bad. The sound is definitely on the warm side and details are pretty easy to pick up. Listening to Bill Evans's village recording revealed some details that I haven't noticed before especially with double bass. I'm going to see what burn in can do to these babies. Can anyone tell me how long it takes for them to somewhat mature in sound?

Apr 20, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #457 of 2,269
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received the pair today, and this thing has bass!!! Right out the box, it's not doing anything special, by that I mean it's not doing anything bad. The sound is definitely on the warm side and details are pretty easy to pick up. Listening to Bill Evans's village recording revealed some details that I haven't noticed before especially with double bass. I'm going to see what burn in can do to these babies. Can anyone tell me how long it takes for them to somewhat mature in sound?

Congrats on your purpose @ analogbox. Surprisingly, I haven't found the MDs to change that much after a long burn-in. I think the bass my get a little softer and tighten up, and the treble may come out more, but the mids haven't changed a lot. They were great out of the box to me, and they're still wonderful! But I'll say the typical 50-100 hours is a good time for them to reveal any changes they will have.

These are quite unlike the Copper, which seemed horrible out of the box, but quickly began to change and take form after about 25-50 hours or burn-in. After 100 hours those IEMs really settled down and came into their own.

Happy listening.
beerchug.gif

Apr 20, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #458 of 2,269
lucozade;6570282 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericp10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MDs don't shine on electric instruments - such as the electric guitar - like the Copper does

@ericp& kunlun , thanks buddys ,now im convinced the mds would not be to my liking, while i have a few dozen acustic albums most of my music is based around electric guitars and although i have many old recordings from the 50s i thind the thick warm sound of the ie7 & ie8 gives them a fuller sound and adds a bit of weight .

You guys just saved me some money, im looking foward to your impressions of the fx700 ericp , that could be my next iem or the ck10 or.........
k701smile.gif

Well luco, buddy, I certainly wasn't trying to talk you out of the MDs, I think you might have enjoyed them. All I was trying to say is that the Copper seemed to focus more on the electric guitars than the MDs, but in know way is the reproduction of the electric guitar not good on the MDs. It's just that the MDs shine more with acoustic instruments IMO, but it's not a glaring difference. You would still love the MDs based on the music I recommended to you that I know you're listening to (blues, classic rock, etc).

Now with that said, I don't think that one who has the Copper must get the MD, or vice versa. I can see how the Copper would be and is perfectly suited for your listening needs. And maybe the FX700 may be a good counter-balance to the Copper and Orto based on what I have been reading.

Actually, the only really I'm interested in the FX700 is because Chris says the earphone has some attributes that are MD-like in nature but better. And I really love the MD, and like the Orto, I can't see myself trading it or selling it for anything else. Never say never, but I can't see it. On the other hand, I really really really liked (almost loved) the Copper. But I didn't feel it was essential to my listening pleasure, although nothing about the Copper offended me.

IE8, on the other hand, was nice but a bit too veiled for me. Happy listening buddy!!

Apr 21, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #459 of 2,269
I would say that the MD's are good for all types of music or at least everything that I have tried on them. They would probably be a nice iem to have on the side for me if I got one but don't think they could ever replace the CK10 as my go to iem although my CK10 has been neglected lately :p They are a tad too warm for my tastes and they are good with the guitars
smily_headphones1.gif
I haven't compared with the Coppers but I would be surprised if the electric was a lot worse with the MD's.

Apr 21, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #460 of 2,269
rawster, I just tried my gel filled supertips after reading some comments on the Copper thread. Originally, the gel tips would not give me a good seal - small or large - with my Copper. I thought they sounded okay when I could get a seal, but they just wouldn't stay in, so I put them to the side and never tried to use them again. I got a pair of small foam tips and liked them, but they are too small for me. They let me know, however, that the foam supertips are the right ones for me to get the desired sound.

Anyway, I'm using the small gels on my MDs now, and for some reason I get a better seal and fit than when I tried with the Copper. And I like the sound, although I think I like the sound with the foam better. Monster has promised me some large foam supertips, so I'm waiting for them to arrive so that I can be for certain. So, the gels doesn't work with me and the Copper, but works with me and the MDs. Go figure?

Apr 21, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #461 of 2,269
heh that's pretty strange indeed. I had a good seal when I tried them but the sound made it feel like it was a basement priced earphone as supposed to a good iem. The gel tips definitely aren't for me. Hopefully you get some large foams soon so you can find out if they give you the sound you want or not
tongue.gif

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #462 of 2,269
Okay, these gels make the bass deeper for me, brings out the treble, but muddy the mids (especially strings) for me. It's almost like the make the MDs sound like a great pair TF10s (great bass, great treble, but with decent vocals - unlike the TF10- and the rest of the mids muddy). So, foams are still preferred I can tell...

Apr 21, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #463 of 2,269
So there are two sizes of gel tips, right? I tried the small ones but they seem large as they won't go in, rather blocking my ears to make the seal, and it hurts after awhile. Is this normal?

Apr 21, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #464 of 2,269
maybe the gel tips you are using are too big for you. the tips really shouldn't be hurting your ears unless the housing is too big.

Apr 21, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #465 of 2,269
So I am having an issue with my MDs where the vocals become really recessed and sound like they are coming through a tunnel. Other instruments become very prominent and the whole sound becomes very airy. I don't know if my headphones are malfunctioning or if my cowon s9 is malfunctioning. Anyone have any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back