Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
Mar 7, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #1,696 of 2,269

Quote:
You should at least give them a couple days of burn-in, and listen to them a bit longer to allow yourself to adjust to the sound-sig. One thing I've learned is that we often reject new sound-sigs that are different from what we already know and enjoy. And at least try them with some jazz and hip-hop. They sound fabulous with Miles' Stella by Starlight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yh8nnu0jfw&ob=av2n

I totally agree. But I mostly got them to compare them to my Pro-Copper and then decide about selling one of them as I can't afford the two of them. So now I am still undecided as I really think the Miles Davis are superior to a wide arrange of music but also poor to another group that the Coppers would be more better suited to.  My Coppers are kind of broken and suffering serious driver flex so when I send them back for my new warranted set then I will have to make a choice between them. I am just happy that I saved so much on the deal!! 
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #1,697 of 2,269

Quote:
Wow .... Love thy neighbor my ass !   You guys are fuggin brutal.  I run a business and do not have time to mess with researching what is real or not. Look a few posts up on this thread ... Some member just stated he paid just over $100 for his own REAL pair, so why in hell shouldn;t I expect the ones i bought, ALSO for $100 to be genuine ?  
Sheesh guys ... a little less bashing and a little more help offered to someone to find a good price would be the friendly thing to do, but then maybe the Headfi community has gone to **** since i was last involved .....

There is no chance of getting them at that price no more, only if one of us re-sell it.

A little research in $350 earphones isn't the worst idea....You might run a business but you should, even without researching that that site looks fake or is "too good to be true"
We are not bashing you, just surprised that member of trade + a "senior member" would fall for that "trap"

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #1,698 of 2,269
Quote:
I'm not bothered by all the criticisim, just the lack of any real help from my fellow audio friends. Having a laugh at my expense is no big deal, but at least tell me where to get REAL MDs for $250 or less  LOL.

I sincerely thought you were joking as well. I assumed you knew what to expect based on your post count and the fact that you run your own business.
Anyway, a good rule of thumb: if the merchendise is manufactured in china, you can be sure there will be imitations. <-- and that doesnt stop at just headphones by the way

Mar 7, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #1,699 of 2,269
Got home a little early today from work and what a perfect day to do so!  I have to say that with 0 burn in and even with a bit of bass bloat that I think the MMDT is the IEM I have been searching for.  Their unique signature would not fit as my daily driver but are the perfect compliment or even close family member of the ATH-ESW9.  I wanted an IEM for singers like Diana Krall to be mellow, smooth and even a bit sexy.  My ESW9 has been perfect for this scenario except for being on-ears.  The MMDT is like a discrete ESW9.  I should thank Monster, I don't need to buy a tube amp now.

It looks like I can take a break for awhile and enjoy the rash of headphones I have bought lately and even start to weed a few out.  I just have to decide who will go, IE8, TF10 or EX600 (Can't get rid of the ESW9, they are just too cool and luxurious) .

Mar 7, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #1,700 of 2,269

Quote:
Got home a little early today from work and what a perfect day to do so!  I have to say that with 0 burn in and even with a bit of bass bloat that I think the MMDT is the IEM I have been searching for.  Their unique signature would not fit as my daily driver but are the perfect compliment or even close family member of the ATH-ESW9.  I wanted an IEM for singers like Diana Krall to be mellow, smooth and even a bit sexy.  My ESW9 has been perfect for this scenario except for being on-ears.  The MMDT is like a discrete ESW9.  I should thank Monster, I don't need to buy a tube amp now.

It looks like I can take a break for awhile and enjoy the rash of headphones I have bought lately and even start to weed a few out.  I just have to decide who will go, IE8, TF10 or EX600 (Can't get rid of the ESW9, they are just too cool and luxurious) .

haha oh dear.

I'll have MG7 + MDT + ASG-1 - this will be fun 0.0!

Mar 7, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #1,701 of 2,269
OK .... Firmly chastised by my fellow audio nuts, I just paid full retail for the Miles Davis .....  It's just money

Now it is just to decide which portable amp/dac to drive them with  :   Practical Devices XM6 or Ray Samuels Predator

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #1,702 of 2,269

Quote:
OK .... Firmly chastised by my fellow audio nuts, I just paid full retail for the Miles Davis .....  It's just money

Now it is just to decide which portable amp/dac to drive them with  :   Practical Devices XM6 or Ray Samuels Predator

First, WOW!  I might have considered the EX1000 or an entry set of customs myself though they're all different listening experiences.

Second, neither.  Leckerton UHA6S w/ OPA209 opamps selected from the drop down menu.

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #1,703 of 2,269

Quote:
First, WOW!  I might have considered the EX1000 or an entry set of customs myself though they're all different listening experiences.

Second, neither.  Leckerton UHA6S w/ OPA209 opamps selected from the drop down menu.

Nope ..... USB is not Hi Rez     That is a deal breaker.   All 27,598 CDs I have on my laptop are WAV files, and many are Hi Rez.

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #1,704 of 2,269

Quote:
Nope ..... USB is not Hi Rez     That is a deal breaker.   All 27,598 CDs I have on my laptop are WAV files, and many are Hi Rez.

Understood.  I still recommend the amp section highly.  The DAC is like my secondary backup.

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #1,705 of 2,269
I just got my MDT yesterday, and after trying on all the tips, I’ve found I’m using sizes I don’t normally use.  I usually wear med tips, but with these so far all the med tips are too big for my ear and im going with small now.  I think the housing may be too big for my ears and its not sitting right with these phones.

Super tips with these, not so good either. Ive had better luck with the super tips on my Westone 3s (using Monsters adapter provided in the sampler kit).  Guess I expected the super tips to fit well in my ears being they are “Monster” headphones and would get the best fit using their “high-end” tips, but im using the cheapy silicone ones with these.  Thinking maybe it might be time to try some Sony hybrids. 

T400 comply tips really makes the bass sound muddy, as well as Shure olives.  Granted I should probably let these burn in more before I start stating opinions, but was just wondering if people are using tips they’ve never used before with these phones?

Mar 8, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #1,707 of 2,269

Quote:
I just got my MDT yesterday, and after trying on all the tips, I’ve found I’m using sizes I don’t normally use.  I usually wear med tips, but with these so far all the med tips are too big for my ear and im going with small now.  I think the housing may be too big for my ears and its not sitting right with these phones.

Super tips with these, not so good either. Ive had better luck with the super tips on my Westone 3s (using Monsters adapter provided in the sampler kit).  Guess I expected the super tips to fit well in my ears being they are “Monster” headphones and would get the best fit using their “high-end” tips, but im using the cheapy silicone ones with these.  Thinking maybe it might be time to try some Sony hybrids. 

T400 comply tips really makes the bass sound muddy, as well as Shure olives.  Granted I should probably let these burn in more before I start stating opinions, but was just wondering if people are using tips they’ve never used before with these phones?

This is my third time around with the Turbine family and I have found the same thing, I have to downsize one size.  My favorite tip with the Turbine, Turbine Copper and these is a regular Sony silicone (Non Hybrid) with a de-cored Comply underneath.  The larger nozzle opening gives a slightly larger soundstage, the comply makes sure you get a good seal since the Sony is just a hair to big on the nozzle and provide good isolation.

Quote:
Went to buy a pair of the Miles Davis Tribute today on Monster's website for 150 only to find I was too late 
frown.gif

I'm sure you'll be able to find a pair in the FS forum soon.  I really like them but their sound signature is not for everyone.

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #1,709 of 2,269
Actually the MMDT is exactly what I have been looking for, but only for specific genres (I really only wanted it for female jazz singers), I would not want it for my only IEM.

Speaking of female jazz singers, today is going to be Diana Krall day.  I have a 118 track playlist queued up for me and the MMDT. 
etysmile.gif

Mar 8, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #1,710 of 2,269
Just got them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHm3AYslbJU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQrCbDAZeQQ

Two parted it but you can see more or less what it comes with and what not. First thing I wanna say right off the bat, they fit like no other IEM I've ever used. I mean ever, right away they just FIT in the ear. No messing with some stupid tip non sense that does little to nothing for keeping seal.

As for the actual sound quality they are VERY nice , very revealing. I hear proper highs ,mids and low's if you ask me. I have very nice home speakers and I'm still hearing things I haven't before in the music I listened to a lot. I only have half hour on them but from the fit right off the bat and the things I'm hearing , these things are just wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back