Monster Beats Solo ?
Mar 24, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #121 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2rooi123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@carnival: you would take them if you were given one, hell anyone would take them if they were given one

I dunno, I think I disliked them THAT much XD

...okay I'd take them for free if I could do this

|
|
V

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would... then sell it to gullible kids for easy money. Selling it at $150 could finance my DAC and speaker stand needs. :p

Ahhh, and therein lies the magic
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #123 of 134
I'd LOVE a pair of the Beats By Dre if they were $100. For their real price, it's a complete insult.

Mar 24, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #124 of 134
Normally I hate Monster (I'm a guitarist and I'm sick of people waving overpriced Monster cables in my face) yet for some reason (I blame Dre) I picked up a set of the Solos yesterday. I couldn't audition them in the store, so I picked them up figuring I'd just return them if I didn't like them.

I have to admit, when I first tried them on they were pretty bad. The bass was bloated and boomy, the midrange was scooped and weak, and the high end was scratchy. It was around this time that I sought out this forum to see what I had gotten myself into, and these cans perfectly matched what most of the haters in this thread describe.

As an experiment I decided to plug them into my computer and leave it playing overnight so that the speakers would break in and they did a complete 180 on me. By the morning the bass was tight and punchy, the midrange was now present and defined, and the treble smoother and clearer. The mix was also much more balanced with the bass sounding full without being overbearing (to me, others may still find the bottom end too strong).

If it makes any difference, I listen to mostly stoner metal, so I wanted something where I could clearly hear the bass guitar. I was using High on Fire and Electric Wizard as my reference material.

Your mileage may vary, but I'm pretty happy with mine. I only joined to point out that these sound better with some break in on them, so comments made by those who only auditioned new ones, or in a store should probably be taken with a grain of salt.

Then again, my comments should be taken with a grain of salt too.

beyersmile.png

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #128 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL!

... OMG Hov3r CAt... is Hov3ring!

Lmao I love you XD

Warmin' mah harblz in teh sky.

... so, speaking of headphones..

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #129 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by random-dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to admit, when I first tried them on they were pretty bad. The bass was bloated and boomy, the midrange was scooped and weak, and the high end was scratchy. It was around this time that I sought out this forum to see what I had gotten myself into, and these cans perfectly matched what most of the haters in this thread describe.

As one of those haters, the reason I didn't give them a chance to "break in" was the fact that even though they came with iPhone-specific features that were supposed to work with a "wide variety"of music phones, they were also the only headphones I tried that couldn't give me a solid connection out of my Nokia 5800 music phone's standard 1/8" headphone out. Since I bought them for portable use with my phone (and they sounded like complete cr@p without break-in), I returned them immediately.

Mar 25, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #130 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As one of those haters, the reason I didn't give them a chance to "break in" was the fact that even though they came with iPhone-specific features that were supposed to work with a "wide variety"of music phones, they were also the only headphones I tried that couldn't give me a solid connection out of my Nokia 5800 music phone's standard 1/8" headphone out. Since I bought them for portable use with my phone (and they sounded like complete cr@p without break-in), I returned them immediately.

Which is fair enough.

As a guitarist I get to read a lot of internet 'reviews' posted by people who've only used gear under the worst conditions possible (usually in a store, with a store guitar, and usually at extremely low volumes with unoptimised EQ settings). It's taught me to be wary of reviews from people that've never really used something.

Still, I know the issue you're talking about, and if I had the same one I wouldn't have bought them either.

Then again, if I had heard them in the store I wouldn't have brought them home... which is kind of the point of my original post.

May 5, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #131 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by random-dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Normally I hate Monster (I'm a guitarist and I'm sick of people waving overpriced Monster cables in my face) yet for some reason (I blame Dre) I picked up a set of the Solos yesterday. I couldn't audition them in the store, so I picked them up figuring I'd just return them if I didn't like them.

As an experiment I decided to plug them into my computer and leave it playing overnight so that the speakers would break in and they did a complete 180 on me. By the morning the bass was tight and punchy, the midrange was now present and defined, and the treble smoother and clearer. The mix was also much more balanced with the bass sounding full without being overbearing (to me, others may still find the bottom end too strong).

If it makes any difference, I listen to mostly stoner metal, so I wanted something where I could clearly hear the bass guitar. I was using High on Fire and Electric Wizard as my reference material.

Your mileage may vary, but I'm pretty happy with mine. I only joined to point out that these sound better with some break in on them, so comments made by those who only auditioned new ones, or in a store should probably be taken with a grain of salt.

Then again, my comments should be taken with a grain of salt too.

beyersmile.png

Im thinking about getting the Solo HD's whenever they come out. If not soon, then prolly get the red ones. Now that they are broken into, do you feel like it was worth it?

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #132 of 134
Get the solo HD they are better than the solo because the bass on solo original just overwelms everythng and u cant hear nothing on high volumes. Go for the HD you will love them i own the solo HD and i will never regret buying them :D

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #133 of 134

Quote:
Anybody tried it ? Is it a closed can ? How's it compare to the Beats By Dr.dre ? Here's the price Beats by Dr. Dre Official Site

Quote:
Welcome to head-fi. Beats headphones are not considered hi-fi level and gets no respect around head-fi.

What I say is give them an audition and see if you like it. The Beats Studio is actually fairly good, and not bassy as people make them out to be. It may be a bit overpriced, but it does look good when you go to a Starbucks or travelling around.

Which Beats are you talkng about here, i thought the op was refering to the Solo i.e overhead headphones and not their IEM range.

Would you say the Audio Technica's ATH-ES7's are a better sounding headphone ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back