Monster Beats Solo ?
Mar 16, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #106 of 134
Oh yeah, I would recommend the Turbines over the Studios. From a cost perspective, it makes sense. I would only get the Studios because they are full-size cans and sometimes I want full size. SQ-wise they are pretty much the same. One caution about the Turbines, one of the common complaints is the difficulty in getting a proper fit. This is due to the size and weight of the Turbines... they tend to fall out of your ears. Some have this problem, some don't. I had it, that's why I gave my Turbines to someone else. But if they fit you, they are golden.

Just one more caution to the Turbines -- wire build quality seems iffy; not sure if it'll last for the long haul. But the one I had is about a year old now and still going strong.

I'd love to try the Fosgates but I have no idea where I can get them. Would you know where?

As for what has the best overall build and SQ... strictly on IEMs I'd say the best SQ is the TF10, no doubt. For build quality I think the Metro.Fi 170 is the best, surprisingly enough.

For full cans the best SQ overall that I have is the Beyer DT770. Best build... hmm... probably the Beyer's as well. These are "built as a tank" as some people here have said.

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #107 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yeah, I would recommend the Turbines over the Studios. From a cost perspective, it makes sense. I would only get the Studios because they are full-size cans and sometimes I want full size. SQ-wise they are pretty much the same. One caution about the Turbines, one of the common complaints is the difficulty in getting a proper fit. This is due to the size and weight of the Turbines... they tend to fall out of your ears. Some have this problem, some don't. I had it, that's why I gave my Turbines to someone else. But if they fit you, they are golden.

Just one more caution to the Turbines -- wire build quality seems iffy; not sure if it'll last for the long haul. But the one I had is about a year old now and still going strong.

I'd love to try the Fosgates but I have no idea where I can get them. Would you know where?

As for what has the best overall build and SQ... strictly on IEMs I'd say the best SQ is the TF10, no doubt. For build quality I think the Metro.Fi 170 is the best, surprisingly enough.

For full cans the best SQ overall that I have is the Beyer DT770. Best build... hmm... probably the Beyer's as well. These are "built as a tank" as some people here have said.

New Rockford Fosgate Punch Plugs Earbuds Free Shipping - eBay (item 380211739622 end time Apr-01-10 14:20:53 PDT)

enjoy them

Mar 16, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #108 of 134
I have the Beats studio and they sound really good.
And tho whow compares them to Skullcandies, That's like impossible.
Skullcandies blows compared to the beats, seriously, I'm not that an audiophile but I can see when a pair of headphones sounds good and all the skullcandies I've tried (I've tried 4-5 models) were complete **** and I tried some 100ish models with the lil subwoofers. I mean it's not even comparable. The subwoofers in the Skullcandies are so ****ty, that cant be called bass, it's only a small speaker that rumble at each bassdrum hit.

On topic:
I own the Studios and tried the solos. I can say that the solos are really good, they sound almost as good as the studios. The only thing is that the Studios have the NOise cancelation thingy and they are more comfortable imo. They also look way better too imo. Oh and I got my Studios for 249.99 instead of 350$. You dont have to think that you're really paying 350$ for them, deal a bit and you'll get a better price. That's what I did and I got a 100$ rebate on them !
I'm a small audiophile in a way, I play the guitar for 7 years and the drum for 4 years now. I learn most of the songs I play by ear. Monster makes good headphones, they may be overpriced, but deal with the seller and you'll get a decent price for them

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #110 of 134
The sound was so good, but the asking price was to steep for the wallet so you decided to leave before any permanent damage could be done. ;D

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #111 of 134
Thanks Elementdecker for the impressions on the Solo's. I am still thinking about getting these. If they are comparable to the Studios, then they should sound like the Turbines, and that would make me happy.

Mar 17, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #113 of 134
I could. Perhaps the Solo HD. Keep in mind portability is actually a big factor in what I am looking for. The purpose for this set of cans is as a portable I can pack with me anywhere, easily. Studios and Spins are a little too big for what I intend them for. Your WS70 though might just be the right size. Depending on how it folds, anyway.

The fosgates... does Wiredforless ship to the Philippines? For $99? They really look like a rip off of the Beats Tours... which frankly were horrible. They only had a high midbass bump, but no bass extension. Very unsatisfying sound. I hope the Fosgates are better. How deep does the extension go on those? I'd love to get them but unfortunately at the moment I am not looking for another IEM.

The stuff on my to buy list right now are a set of closed, bassy portables and an open, wide soundstage can for use at home.

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #114 of 134
and I find them to be really muddy. I've had to eq them a lot to get any kind of decent sound. There's definitely a lot of bass with these and it's fairly tight but it drowns out other frequencies more then any other set of cans I've heard. Not sure if this is necessarily a defect or unavoidable though. The other issue with these things is for me at least, they are extremely uncomfortable and press against the ear. I know they're over the ear so they have to but I have a pair of Akg k141 mkII's that are touted as extremely uncomfortable and they're much easier to wear. Also, the beats sound awful to them in comparison. Also..they were much cheaper. Obviously reference headphones aren't a fair comparison to bass boosted ones, but just for some perspective. The final point I wanted to make about the Beats is that I can't use them practically anymore anyways because the headband snapped, for the second time. I don't have a big head and I was extremely careful with them. For it to of happened once after two weeks could be a fluke, but after two weeks more the replacements broke in the same spot. Most vendors won't refund or exhange for this either because it's considered your fault. I'd highly suggest against buying these headphones, at least based on my own personal experience.

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #115 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could. Perhaps the Solo HD. Keep in mind portability is actually a big factor in what I am looking for. The purpose for this set of cans is as a portable I can pack with me anywhere, easily. Studios and Spins are a little too big for what I intend them for. Your WS70 though might just be the right size. Depending on how it folds, anyway.

The fosgates... does Wiredforless ship to the Philippines? For $99? They really look like a rip off of the Beats Tours... which frankly were horrible. They only had a high midbass bump, but no bass extension. Very unsatisfying sound. I hope the Fosgates are better. How deep does the extension go on those? I'd love to get them but unfortunately at the moment I am not looking for another IEM.

The stuff on my to buy list right now are a set of closed, bassy portables and an open, wide soundstage can for use at home.

Yes he ships for $99 + shipping price depending what shipping u use. The fosgates are definitely better than tours. The bass goes really low. Would say more or less 15hz. At max vol from ipod playing sexy bitch, you could feel the bass. go get them

Mar 17, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #117 of 134
I can find ways to fix the comfort.
biggrin.gif
Well anyway I will give these a listen first this Sunday before anything else.

Mar 18, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #118 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by gr33nhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody tried it ? Is it a closed can ? How's it compare to the Beats By Dr.dre ? Here's the price Beats by Dr. Dre Official Site

I got a chance to try out the Beats a few times.

I'm not entirely sure what there is to them other than a name. They are possibly the most over hyped "headphones" I've ever had the displeasure of listening to.

The treble is like sticking a rusty barbed wire into one ear and out the other, and flossing it back and forth in your head. I noticed a serious lack of midrange, and the bass that they are supposed to be so well known for was muddy and lacked any punch.

300 dollars? No. $199? No. I wouldn't pay $50 for these.
I wouldn't take these if they were given to me.

Save yourself a lot of pain and use the money to buy a good pair of cans
smily_headphones1.gif

I saw several suggestions for cans in this thread, and all of them are better alternatives to the Beats
duggehsmile.png
You can get a pair of Senns or even a decent Grados and be much happier in the end.

(Additional thought: the Beats are pitched as sound isolating. This is probably the most laughable claim. A friend of mine could hear me listening to a song through them from across a crowded store even at a very low volume)

EDIT: Late as hell reply XD

Mar 18, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #120 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2rooi123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@carnival: you would take them if you were given one, hell anyone would take them if they were given one

I would... then sell it to gullible kids for easy money. Selling it at $150 could finance my DAC and speaker stand needs. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back