Monster Beats Solo ?
Dec 14, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #76 of 134
I tried out the beats solo hoping they would be acceptable as portable cans for my iphone. Absolutely the worst sounding headphone I have ever heard personally. I even consider myself a basshead, but the bass on these headphones completely muffles and muddies the rest of the spectrum beyond repair in my opinion.

Jan 13, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #79 of 134
I heard them today and after a brief audition I can safely say, that they are not worth the asking price, unless you are using them as a toy on your head rather than headphones. The sound is congested, the highs are mediocre, but lack greater detail. The midrange doesn't exist because it is overwhelmed by the mid bass prominence. Even with hip hop these sound like garbage. The bass is not defined and lacks extension and therefore impact.
They are not overly comfortable, but they are well built and fold up which is the only positive thing I can say about them. Their case sucks its just a flimsy carrying pouch with a cleaning cloth. The packaging on the other hand is quite nice.

Stylish Accessory: Yes
Headpones with decent SQ: No

Jan 19, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #80 of 134
OMG........ Wel I own them (they were free) and here's my experience. I also own S4's so I have heard "decent" sound before. Back to the Solo's........ yes the bass is muddy, but with eq it can be somewhat resolved. See my first impression was "total crap" but I found that with the right EQ settings they can be very suprising, but not $200 worth. For $100 I could say they were worth it except for the fact that......HERE WE GO........ Thay Fu!@ing BROKE as I was taking then off my head! After some cursing I cooled down and remembered other posts about them all breaking at the same place so I looked at them and "stressed" the still good side and it looks like the stress point is not reinforced?! I would advise against these cans for said reasons. Sorry for the long post but I just had to rant, wouldn't you? Whew....time for some chai tea and Yanni to cool down, later.

Jan 19, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #81 of 134
I auditioned them briefly at the apple store a couple of days ago, and my impression was exactly same as sebhuber's. The bass was overwhelming and midrange/treble detail was lacking. I liked the cable though.

Feb 15, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #83 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvaffles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, just want to give some input. I got a friend that works at the apple store so i can get these headphones for quite cheap, i have the Beats studio for a while now, and just got the solo today.

Right out of the box the solo sound terrible, much (much much) worse then the Studio, the bass is bleeding all over the place and everything sounds muffled. The earcups of the headphone has some sort of suction feeling to them, feels kinda werid at first but its ok after a while, it gives great sound isolation compared to some of the other pairs of headphones i own.

Just my 2 cents, will put more impression on the solo after a couple more hours of breakin

Thanks for the input vvaffles.

I am still waiting for more comparisons between the Solo's and the Studio's. The demo booths here only have the Studio's, no Solo's. I will say that I loved the Studio's because I'm an incorrigible basshead, but was not a fan of the noise-cancelling tech that required batteries to operate.

If the Solo's have near same sound as the Studio's but minus the noise-cancelling, I'm sold. But does it? I am looking for the same earth-shattering bass that the Studio's had. No comments please on "bass is too muddy and overpowering there's no midrange or highs just bass!" I know what I get with the Studio's.

I just need to know from someone who has actually heard both, whether the Solo's sound comparable to the Studio's or if the two are sonically very different animals.

Feb 15, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #84 of 134
ZOMG Mochan is here.

So, I have recently went to a Best Buy store and found listening booths for Sony MDR headphones, Senn HD238, Skullcandy Skullcrusher, and the Beats Solo and Studio. It turns out that both the Solo and Studio on display are broken on the headband (says something about build quality) but music still plays on both channels. I positioned the Studio on one ear and Solo on another, and tried my own tunes.

Cowon S9 > Little Dot MKI+ > Monster Beats Solo and Studio

So, I heard they have good bass. So, I whipped out some bassy tracks and guess what, they do sound bassier than my AKG K518 DJ's. However, they sound so muffled that the mids and highs are drowned out in the process. Between the Studio and Solo, the Solo was less sensitive, so has a lower volume output and sounded too distant. The Studio has acceptable SQ for its advertised use, but certainly not $300 quality.

Next I tried acoustic, but they sound far worse. Extremely colored and hollow-sounding, even worse than the Bose On-Ear headphones I've tried and are much cheaper.

In my humble opinion, pass both of them. Buy better headphones.

Feb 15, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #86 of 134
These headphones look nice but you'll be regretting your purchase when these things snap in your hands lol. The build quality is terrible, especially looking at the outrageous price. (what else would be expected from Monster though?)

The Solo's seem to have more sound than they can drive. Everything is drowned out by the ridiculous bass. I guess you could say they are loud, if thats what your looking for. But then again, for that price, you could get something just as loud and twice as good SQ.

Feb 15, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #87 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just need to know from someone who has actually heard both, whether the Solo's sound comparable to the Studio's or if the two are sonically very different animals.

I have owned both, while the studio are actually overpriced decent sounding headphones that are quite fun sounding, the solo is absolutely garbage, the bass is so overpowering to the point where it just drowns out everything else, and the muffling is still there after about 50 hours of burn in, i returned them after about 12 days of use.

If you really want the dres go for the studio, the solos are definitely not worth it. if you have a friend working in an electronic store you can get them for a reasonable price, the studios are about 170 with employee discount at best buy.

Feb 16, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #88 of 134
Thanks jj. Thanks as well vvaffles. At $170 I wouldn't mind getting a Studio but I do agree $300 is too much. I know people say there are better options for the money with similar but better sound, which ones are they?

Keep in mind I actually like how the Studio's sound. I *want* a bass-heavy, uber-thumping sound with recessed mids and highs -- looking for a warm, thumping phone with laidback sound.

Feb 16, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #89 of 134
I bought Beats Solo for my girlfriend and I have tried Monster Studios on good setups for hours with my own music. I found the Monster products to be great headphones. They are not the most detailed headphones, but they are still very detailed. The highs are very clear, but the emphasized low range covers some of the details. EQing will show that the Studio and Solo have pretty decent range in highs. However, increase the low range and those headphones can really make you feel the music.

The Monster Turbine Pros are beautiful headphones. Sound-wise and looks. The Studio has very good clarity for an active noise cancelling headphone. It sounds VERY similar to my Ultrasone HFI 580 to me. However, I find the Studios more sibilant.

However, be warned, the earpiece of the solos slipped of the hinge after about 2 weeks. Apple store replaced it. Be careful

Feb 16, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #90 of 134
Listened in Bestbuy last weekend.

Like my Monster Turbine, both of them (Solo, Studio) give massive bass response, which I just did not like.

I am more curious about upcoming Monster Spin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back