Monster Beats Pro is like a Sony XB
Aug 28, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #121 of 156

Quote:
I don't know! I'm like the whore that likes to get slapped.

You need to reign in your whorish side!  Asap!  You're a cool guy of course, and you have O2's so that goes without saying. 

But a head-fier buying Beats is like an animal rights activist buying fur coats. 

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #122 of 156

Quote:

I'm like the whore that likes to get slapped.

The LA7000 is too expensive for my blood.  D=

I was actually considering getting a ZO just for the hell of it.

The O2 has enough bass for casual listening, but it's not something I can take to work. Also, it doesn't have more bass impact than a Denon D7000.

Well, you can afford the O2, so I dunno. If it's bass bigger than the cosmos themselves you desire, there it is.

Yea, grab a ZO. Probably gonna need it to get significantly more bass impact than a D7K on the go.

Maybe you should grab some super bass IEMs+ZO+Cowon DAP (MACH BASS). Also make room in your pockets for some advil.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #123 of 156

Quote:

But a head-fier buying Beats is like an animal rights activist buying fur coats. 

I dunno man, Beats graph better than the ED8, that's some serious business. Maybe we're all just delusional and Beats are really the king of sound. Our ears are too feeble to comprehend such greatness.

justbeats_610x331.jpg

All bow down.

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #124 of 156

Quote:
I dunno man, Beats graph better than the ED8, that's some serious business. Maybe we're all just delusional and Beats are really the king of sound. Our ears are too feeble to comprehend such greatness.

justbeats_610x331.jpg

All bow down.

I'm confused as well. The THD graphs compared seem to favor the Beats Pro. There should be overall less audible distortion on the Pros, right? The square wave graphs didn't look that great, but I've seen worse... like the Ultrasone Pro 900 http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/UltrasonePRO900.pdf and I don't think the Pro 900 sounded THAT bad. Maybe there really is something to this S-Logic thing or maybe something else I'm missing.

Quote:
Actually the mids are more similar to the Coppers mids but even drier.  Something about the 'reference' Monster sound includes dry mids including the new Trumpets.  The Golds are lusher in the mids and the MD's even more so.  

I also think the Studio Pros were a bit more resolving than crappy Beats.  Then again I use a portable amp so don't listen to an audiofool like me.  
biggrin.gif

Oh, I haven't tried the Coppers, but lowering 5K did make it sound a lot more like the Golds.

I think the Pros are better than the other Beats as well, but I'm wondering if it's better than the Ultrasone HFI 580. I can't quite remember that much distortion in the mid range, but then again, it's been awhile.

Aug 28, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #126 of 156
feel sad for the previous epic title..

Aug 28, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #127 of 156
If you just want bass impact then XB500 will shine like no other. Since you have a Cowon J3 which have wonderful EQ capabilities you should get a good result out of it with a little bit boost in the mids and highs and possibly slight decrease around ~250Hz.

Also you should REALLY try a ZO. I think it's THE SOLUTION to your needs and you won't have to be that picky about what headphone you pick. It has fantastic bass response quality and the bass boost capability is really scaringly strong. I'm 90% sure the ZO would satisfy and suprise you. It definitely adds a lot of impact, it adds more "physically felt impact" than audible bass so it doesn't bleed that horribly into the mids or walks over the rest of the frequency range too much.

Aug 28, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #128 of 156

Quote:

How should I say this now? I can not standing listening to the Beats Pros without EQ or for long periods. I've burned them in a few hours while I left the house and they started to open up. The bass started clearing out and I can hear more clearly. The 500-1K sibilance/distortion is still there and in addition to a painful 5K distortion. Also, the clamping is incredibly tight.

Told you they were uncomfortable!

As far as MarkL mods go, I feel the bass is actually decreased although the impact is still there. I'm not sure how that would help.
I hadn't seen the ZO, might try one myself

Aug 28, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #129 of 156
I  hope some new player will integrate this ZO thing, this sucks  a bit to have a separate unit, that you must charge etc...
I  don't know how much the Zo is better than mach3bass, the result are already very impressive with mach3bass and my senn IE7.

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #130 of 156

Quote:
Don´t think it has to do with seal. If anything a worse seal would make it sound more open since the air can escape :). More comparing it to fully open headphones is my guess? It´s not resonant compared to any other closed headphone I tried.

Well, a leaky closed headphone is not really akin to an open one. The seal is very important for the Edition 8 because it is a fully closed and isolated design rather than a vented closed design. Open, semi open, vented closed, fully closed, and in ear types all have different design considerations that affect the sound. Put your hands over the fully open cups of a Grado and everything falls apart. Break the seal on the Edition 8 and you don't get the intended sound. The effect will be different for each headphone, but in both of these cases you've compromised the design and in turn the sound.

Quote:
How do you get a bad seal w/ the ED8?  My comment was only regarding low end bass resonance.  Not sure if the other post meant the entire spectrum.

For me, the spot below the ear, where the jawbone and neck meet, is where the pads can break the seal. As the pads are wearing in it is becoming less of a problem, but for me that spot can sometimes create a gap. This can happen if I'm chewing or moving my head far from side to side. When the seal breaks, the low bass disappears, along with the impact, the the sound diffuses a bit. It's similar to a bad seal with IEMs, but in this case since the drivers are in cups surrounding the ears, outside sounds come in, inside sounds leak out, and the 'cupped hands around the ears' or 'seashell up to the ear' phenomenon occurs. Someone who puts these on a certain way and gets a sound that seems to echo is not getting the pads fully sealed. When I first got the Edition 8, I positioned them with the headband more forward than was intended and the pads didn't seal around my ears. I didn't get the low bass and I heard a diffuse (or what someone could call 'echoey') presentation. After moving the headband further back and giving it a bend those problems disappeared.

Others have noticed that positioning is important to these headphones, and since everyone's head shape and anatomy around the ears is different, proper adjustment is required to get a proper seal. Not everyone who puts these on for a trial listen–at meets or with store demo fro example–understands how they ought to fit, and so we get people giving impressions when they weren't wearing them or hearing them as they were intended. Those that own them have come to understand it and made proper evaluations given actual experience. And those owner evaluations don't include echos or resonance. The consensus has been that the Edition 8 makes fewer compromises for a fully closed and isolated design than other headphones of the same type.

Anaxilus, do you own the Edition 8? At what frequency do you hear resonance? I have yet to hear any resonance, and I've fed plenty of bass through mine.

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #131 of 156

Quote:

I think the Pros are better than the other Beats as well, but I'm wondering if it's better than the Ultrasone HFI 580. I can't quite remember that much distortion in the mid range, but then again, it's been awhile.

No, the M50 and HFI580 are better IMO.

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #132 of 156

Quote:

Anaxilus, do you own the Edition 8? At what frequency do you hear resonance? I have yet to hear any resonance, and I've fed plenty of bass through mine.

Nope, I heard the Ultrasone reps demo pair at a meet along w/ the 10.  I should characterize it as boominess in the mid bass if I recall.  Something not uncommon in closed phones tbh.  Like was said before I notice it more in relation to comparing to open phones than closed.  Perhaps gain level would also explain the differences we hear.  

Aug 28, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #133 of 156

Quote:
Nope, I heard the Ultrasone reps demo pair at a meet along w/ the 10.  I should characterize it as boominess in the mid bass if I recall.  Something not uncommon in closed phones tbh.  Like was said before I notice it more in relation to comparing to open phones than closed.  Perhaps gain level would also explain the differences we hear.  

I see. Thanks for clarifying that you are recalling impressions from a brief listening at meet. I think it's important for us all to know what the experience of a poster is when they comment on the sound of headphones that they do not or have not owned.

I've owned the Edition 8 for about a month and have about 300 hours on them with about 50 or so of that listening. I don't hear boom in the midbass, and there aren't audible resonances causing irregularities in the bass response either. In fact the bass is fairly linear. This is backed up by the frequency response graph at InnerFidelity. I admit that there is a taste factor here in regards to bass quantity and a number of people have said they'd prefer more and a number who'd prefer less. The bass has excellent punch, taughtness, and dynamics without being overpowering. It is very well damped and doesn't overhang. I'd liken it to a subwoofer in a sealed cabinet in dynamics and extension. Of course, amping can play a big role in bass quality.

I can understand when you say that boominess in not uncommon in closed headphones, but this is not the case for the Edition 8. In comparison to an open can, yes, the bass definitely takes a different characteristic, just as a sealed subwoofer, ported subwoofer, and open baffle subwoofer are all acoustically different.

Aug 28, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #134 of 156

Quote:
I see. Thanks for clarifying that you are recalling impressions from a brief listening at meet. I think it's important for us all to know what the experience of a poster is when they comment on the sound of headphones that they do not or have not owned.

I've owned the Edition 8 for about a month and have about 300 hours on them with about 50 or so of that listening. I don't hear boom in the midbass, and there aren't audible resonances causing irregularities in the bass response either. In fact the bass is fairly linear. This is backed up by the frequency response graph at InnerFidelity. I admit that there is a taste factor here in regards to bass quantity and a number of people have said they'd prefer more and a number who'd prefer less. The bass has excellent punch, taughtness, and dynamics without being overpowering. It is very well damped and doesn't overhang. I'd liken it to a subwoofer in a sealed cabinet in dynamics and extension. Of course, amping can play a big role in bass quality.

I can understand when you say that boominess in not uncommon in closed headphones, but this is not the case for the Edition 8. In comparison to an open can, yes, the bass definitely takes a different characteristic, just as a sealed subwoofer, ported subwoofer, and open baffle subwoofer are all acoustically different.

To be fair I should further say that we were comparing the Ed.8 to the LCD2 rev.2 and HD800 all sourced from a PS Audio PWD w/ Bridge and Eddie Current Balancing Act.  Even the D7000 has slightly more controlled bass from recollection when I used to own it.  If we want to look at measurements to correlate listening impressions I would say the graphs actually support what myself and a few others heard as well.  Frequency response is irrelevant to what we are talking about here so lets compare the 300hz square waves.  But I agree there are different tastes and preferences for bass quality and there is certainly a place and time for many of them IMO.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/UltrasoneEdition8.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DenonAHD7000.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2Rev2.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800.pdf

Aug 28, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #135 of 156

Quote:
Have you tried M50's? 

I have and I liked the Ultrasones HFI 580 a bit more though they're also more expensive and definitely much less neutral.

Quote:
If you just want bass impact then XB500 will shine like no other. Since you have a Cowon J3 which have wonderful EQ capabilities you should get a good result out of it with a little bit boost in the mids and highs and possibly slight decrease around ~250Hz.

Also you should REALLY try a ZO. I think it's THE SOLUTION to your needs and you won't have to be that picky about what headphone you pick. It has fantastic bass response quality and the bass boost capability is really scaringly strong. I'm 90% sure the ZO would satisfy and suprise you. It definitely adds a lot of impact, it adds more "physically felt impact" than audible bass so it doesn't bleed that horribly into the mids or walks over the rest of the frequency range too much.

I'm really thinking of trying out the ZO and seeing what all the fuss is about. Headphone-wise, my curiosity is focused on the AKG K550. Who knows? Maybe the AKG K550 could be some hidden bass impact king like the HFI 580 with a ZO or Cowon. Yea I know. I doubt it too.
tongue.gif

Quote:
Told you they were uncomfortable!  
As far as MarkL mods go, I feel the bass is actually decreased although the impact is still there. I'm not sure how that would help.
I hadn't seen the ZO, might try one myself

Yea... I quite liked the build though but even then I was still overestimating them.

Quote:
I  hope some new player will integrate this ZO thing, this sucks  a bit to have a separate unit, that you must charge etc...
I  don't know how much the Zo is better than mach3bass, the result are already very impressive with mach3bass and my senn IE7.

Wow. Zo AND mach3bass? Thanks for the idea LOL

Quote:
No, the M50 and HFI580 are better IMO.

Then I guess MacedonianHero is correct with his estimate of the Beats Pro pricing then with the Pros distortion being worse than a $120 bass heavy headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back