Monster Beats Pro is like a Sony XB
Aug 28, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #106 of 156

Quote:
Make sure to EQ the bass all the way up to get that true Studio™ sound.

[size=12.0pt]Having more bass isn't necessarily a bad thing especially if you have sensitive ears. Try listening to an AKG K701 in the morning. It's painful. A headphone with strong bass presence won't hurt like that.[/size]

Quote:
For me a true bass, is a bass that provide nice impact, slam, thump. I  don't care if there's a ton of bass, if this doesn't translate in a kind of energy.

[size=12.0pt]Definitely, but having a bit of leeway in bass impact is nice. If a headphone can only provide accurate bass impact or less, it will get a bit boring for certain genres. Wouldn't you like a bit more once in awhile?[/size]

Quote:
Depends on the 770 model. The 250/600 models are quite balanced (I preferred the 600 ohm version the best), but the 80ohm DT700 can bring the bass...no question and actually has more impact/control/depth than the Pros by  a good margin....then throw in the large price difference and it's a no-brainer....the beyers win for closed bassy cans.

EDIT: Just saw that you picked up the Pros...please say you got the black ones and not the white at least.
tongue.gif

[size=12.0pt]Nope, I got the white ones thinking they would match my more effeminate body [/size]
tongue.gif
I'm considering returning them so...

Quote:
While the Pros are "decent" sounding, they go for $399. That's the issue. For $125 maybe, but for $200 (half the price of the Pros), you can do better and save $.

I believe it is definitely overpriced at $400. Though I have mixed feelings right now.

OK...
How should I say this now? I can not standing listening to the Beats Pros without EQ or for long periods. I've burned them in a few hours while I left the house and they started to open up. The bass started clearing out and I can hear more clearly. The 500-1K sibilance/distortion is still there and in addition to a painful 5K distortion. Also, the clamping is incredibly tight.

However, adjusting an equalizer like this

makes it fairly decent sounding. Warm and not very offending. Sounds good with these kind of jazz/hip-hop tracks as long as the EQ is running

or with Lady Gaga style pop music.

Vocals are pleasant and full as long as the 5K frequency is lowered. With an EQ, the headphone is not particularly offending. Without EQ, I'm not surprised people don't like them. There is much more distortion when music is playing than the graph would lead you to believe. If you do not EQ, the distortion is very apparent.

The headphone has plenty of midrange distortion, but EQing is fairly effective at hiding it. I suppose if you like a headphone which sounds like a better version of Sony XB700 and is OK with keeping the distortion hidden under EQ, you might like the Beats Pros. As for me, I'm getting irritated listening to them. EQing them doesn't make them sound bad, but they don't sound like $400. Maybe around $80 would be right as that is the amount of clarity I would expect from a $200 headphone with this amount of bass.

I'm not going to bother with a review. I'll be returning them.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #108 of 156

Quote:

[size=12.0pt]Having more bass isn't necessarily a bad thing especially if you have sensitive ears. Try listening to an AKG K701 in the morning. It's painful. A headphone with strong bass presence won't hurt like that.[/size]

I'm no fan of the K70x, but insane quantities of muddy bass are just as fatiguing.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #109 of 156

Quote:
Now that's a better title.

You know a headphone is superior to the best closed headphone in production when you have to EQ to GET RID OF distortion.

Definitely. Now I'm just a bit lost as to where to find something similar to the Denon D7000 but with more impact.

A better headphone would still sound decent if I lowered the bass regions more, but then the distortion became far too apparent on the Beats. I wouldn't mind of a headphone had the sound signature of the Beats Pros but performed better. I imagine that I could have gotten a better sound if I just EQed Denon D7000s to have a lot of bass.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #110 of 156

Quote:

Definitely. Now I'm just a bit lost as to where to find something similar to the Denon D7000 but with more impact.

A better headphone would still sound decent if I lowered the bass regions more, but then the distortion became far too apparent on the Beats. I wouldn't mind of a headphone had the sound signature of the Beats Pros but performed better. I imagine that I could have gotten a better sound if I just EQed Denon D7000s to have a lot of bass.

I'm a bit lost as to why you want even more bass than the D7000. Other than the LA7000, anything with more bass quantity than the D7K is going to have severe issues in other areas. The D7K already has recessed mids, sibilance, etc to go along with its subwoofer bass, let alone the drawbacks in pro900s and whatnot.

Try the XB1000, should send you swimming in oceans of bass.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #111 of 156

Quote:
I'm a bit lost as to why you want even more bass than the D7000. Other than the LA7000, anything with more bass quantity than the D7K is going to have severe issues in other areas. The D7K already has recessed mids, sibilance, etc to go along with its subwoofer bass, let alone he drawbacks in pro900s and whatnot.

Try the XB1000, should send you swimming in oceans of bass.

With casual listening, the D7000 is perfectly adequate in bass amount, but when I need some energy after several hours of desk work, I want the option of having more bass impact. From what I remember, you can make the D7000 sound more bassy, but not necessarily more impactful.

From Head-fi impressions, the XB1000 may not be "it" either.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #113 of 156

Quote:
Now that's a better title.

Yes, but now the thread will attract much less people.

@wind016
Quote:
[size=12pt]If a headphone can only provide accurate bass impact or less, it will get a bit boring for certain genres.[/size]

Let's talk about  headphones that provide some bass, but zero impact. Like the hd595.

I  find curious that the beat pro have some distortion without an eq, it's as if they were badly engineered. I  guess  the driver used is not bad, but there is a problem in the conception.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #114 of 156

Quote:

With casual listening, the D7000 is perfectly adequate in bass amount, but when I need some energy after several hours of desk work, I want the option of having more bass impact. From what I remember, you can make the D7000 sound more bassy, but not necessarily more impactful.

From Head-fi impressions, the XB1000 may not be "it" either.

Oh yes you can. My LA7000 Full had the absolute most amazing bass in any headphone ever. You take the D7K's subwoofer quantity, add some more, then make it extremely tight, punchy, and textured. If I was a bass maniac, that would've been the end of the line. It's out of this world bass, the kind that would make your average Beats lover cream their pants indefinitely. Course YMMV depending on what mods you get.

You could also just grab a ZO along with [insert bass monster here].

Btw, I remember you telling me the O2 had more than enough bass quantity to satisfy you.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #115 of 156
what about some Darth Beyers?
ive not heard them but if they really are a step up from the 770 pro 80 its probably laid on pretty thick

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #116 of 156

Quote:
Anyone hearing the Edition 8 as "really echoey" wasn't getting a good seal with the earpads. That aspect is critical to the proper sound of these headphones.

How do you get a bad seal w/ the ED8?  My comment was only regarding low end bass resonance.  Not sure if the other post meant the entire spectrum.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #117 of 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Don´t think it has to do with seal. If anything a worse seal would make it sound more open since the air can escape :). More comparing it to fully open headphones is my guess? It´s not resonant compared to any other closed headphone I tried.

x2

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #118 of 156

Quote:
First impression is that is sounds like a Monster Turbine Pro Gold. I notice a slight sibilance in the midrange, but I can't really pin point where yet. Maybe burn-in for a few hours will get rid of it. So far, it just sounds almost the same as the Monster Turbine Pro Gold. Very prominent bass and upfront sound.

Actually the mids are more similar to the Coppers mids but even drier.  Something about the 'reference' Monster sound includes dry mids including the new Trumpets.  The Golds are lusher in the mids and the MD's even more so.  

I also think the Studio Pros were a bit more resolving than crappy Beats.  Then again I use a portable amp so don't listen to an audiofool like me.  
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #119 of 156
I've had 3 ED8's, none of which were at all "Echoey" or resonant. Best closed can there is, R10 aside.

However, the ED8 did sound like crap at first because I wasn't wearing it right... corrected that and bam, 100% love.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #120 of 156

Quote:
Why Beats?  come on

I don't know! I'm like the whore that likes to get slapped.

Quote:
Yes, but now the thread will attract much less people.

@wind016
Let's talk about  headphones that provide some bass, but zero impact. Like the hd595.

I  find curious that the beat pro have some distortion without an eq, it's as if they were badly engineered. I  guess  the driver used is not bad, but there is a problem in the conception.

Certainly, the HD598 is like that too and it does get boring for electronic genres.

I don't know what's up. It would have been fairly easy for them to cover it up by changing the innate sound signature just a tad, but then there would be no room anyways to EQ it. I suppose the demo stations for the Beats have some sort of 5K frequency recession.

Quote:
Oh yes you can. My LA7000 Full had the absolute most amazing bass in any headphone ever. You take the D7K's subwoofer quantity, add some more, then make it extremely tight, punchy, and textured. If I was a bass maniac, that would've been the end of the line. It's out of this world bass, the kind that would make your average Beats lover cream their pants indefinitely. Course YMMV depending on what mods you get.

You could also just grab a ZO along with [insert bass monster here].

Btw, I remember you telling me the O2 had more than enough bass quantity to satisfy you.

The LA7000 is too expensive for my blood.  D=

I was actually considering getting a ZO just for the hell of it.

The O2 has enough bass for casual listening, but it's not something I can take to work. Also, it doesn't have more bass impact than a Denon D7000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back