Monster Beats Pro is like a Sony XB
Aug 26, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #61 of 156

Quote:
This means that they are heavily colored, making everything bassy, even if it isn't . Could you imagine a violin or piano to be bassy ?

What headphone isn't colored? Top tier headphones get close but it's also nice to have some fried chicken when you're endlessly exposed to gourmet? For certain music, I prefer the music to be popping. You wouldn't see me going "Hey, I love that tonally accurate 50hz frequency. Boooooooom, I love it. Much better than booooooom."

Quote:
That's what I call music right there! XD
Seriously though, just listen to the darn headphones. Pro's are fun and all but in my opinion they are no match for my D2000. I just find the whole experience more satisfying with them.
(didn't know we were censored around here sorry)

I had the Denon D7000. It's a great headphone, but not exactly as portable and durable as I'd like it to be. No DJ would ever use those. It's basically a home headphone and I have enough of those.

Aug 26, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #64 of 156
can we have an auto delete function when anybody posts a "beats" thread?

Or a sticky that says search instead of posting about beats?

It just ends the same way, flame wars against the overpriced beats.

Over and over again.

Aug 26, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #65 of 156

Quote:
can we have an auto delete function when anybody posts a "beats" thread?

Or a sticky that says search instead of posting about beats?

It just ends the same way, flame wars against the overpriced beats.

Over and over again.

HE started it.
tongue.gif

Aug 26, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #66 of 156
If I can ever find a shell for cheap, I intend to transplant an ortho driver into a Beats headphone one day.

Aug 26, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #67 of 156

Quote:
You wouldn't see me going "Hey, I love that tonally accurate 50hz frequency. Boooooooom, I love it. Much better than booooooom."

Isn't it you, that were comparing the 30 hz graph before ? Anyway, it seems you are looking for a good reason to buy these "beats pro" , probably because of the "hype pressure".  I'd say, you don't need a reason,  especially if you have some spare cash to burn. Then review them seriously, it's always more interesting to read,  than someone bashing everything from monster just for the sake of bashing.

Aug 26, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #68 of 156

Quote:

I had the Denon D7000. It's a great headphone, but not exactly as portable and durable as I'd like it to be. No DJ would ever use those. It's basically a home headphone and I have enough of those.

The Pro's aren't any more portable than a pair of D7000. Have you tried them on? They're very heavy and uncomfortable to wear for prolonged periods. No DJ should use those.

The only durability issue with the Dx000 is the falling screw which can easily be taken care off if you really wanted. Besides the Beats by Dre aren't really known for their stellar build quality either...

My next recommendation would be a pair of DT770, mine are coming in a few weeks and couldn't be any more excited.

But it really just looks to me that you are looking for a way to justify your desire for the headphones...

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #69 of 156

Quote:

Isn't it you, that were comparing the 30 hz graph before ? Anyway, it seems you are looking for a good reason to buy these "beats pro" , probably because of the "hype pressure".  I'd say, you don't need a reason,  especially if you have some spare cash to burn. Then review them seriously, it's always more interesting to read,  than someone bashing everything from monster just for the sake of bashing.

I have zero pressure to buy Beats. All my friends expect me to know better from my music obsession and experience. My only reason for thinking about purchasing the Beats is my insatiable craving for some bass impact.
tongue.gif
Not saying it will have what I want, but maybe.

Quote:
The Pro's aren't any more portable than a pair of D7000. Have you tried them on? They're very heavy and uncomfortable to wear for prolonged periods. No DJ should use those.

The only durability issue with the Dx000 is the falling screw which can easily be taken care off if you really wanted. Besides the Beats by Dre aren't really known for their stellar build quality either...

My next recommendation would be a pair of DT770, mine are coming in a few weeks and couldn't be any more excited.

But it really just looks to me that you are looking for a way to justify your desire for the headphones...

I'm not really trying to justify the purchase. Just making discussion.

I have several friends that do a few DJing gigs for fun. One is using my previous Ultrasone HFI 580 and he actually likes it despite the poor isolation. The headphone is completely beaten, but it's still working fine. The Beats Pro just seems to suit DJing even more and seems much more rugged and practical than the HFI 580. The PRO also seem to measure far better than the Ultrasone HFI series.

I heard the DT770. It's a good headphone, but not when you want bass impact. Yes, I'm not looking for refinement. I'm looking for the highest level of performance and bass impact that I can find, whether or not it involves EQing. For example, for that purpose, the Ultrasone HFI 580 is far more preferable over the ED8 which just can't be EQ'ed to be a bass monster like the HFI 580 can.

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #72 of 156

Quote:
^^^

FWIW, I found the Pros more balanced that the Studios (much more bass)....neither are worth the $ IMO.

For Beats, I'm definitely going to try used. All Beats products I've tried were clearly not keepers, but I'm not 100% sure about the Pros yet.

Quote:
So you can look like a tool and no one will know that you actually have good headphones on? 

I don't think anyone knows whether anyone has good headphones on.
ph34r.gif

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #73 of 156

Quote:
So you can look like a tool and no one will know that you actually have good headphones on? 

Well actually, it's because I think the Studios are quite comfortable...

If I really wanted to get my DIY chops going, I'd also take out the ANC circuit and try sticking in a cmoy style circuit. Or better yet, shove an e6 in there or something. 

Aug 27, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #74 of 156
i actually spent some time with the pros today.  my first thought was they don't sound too bad.  so i kept listening for about 20 minutes.  Then i put on the 770 80 ohms i got for 90 bucks on ebay and realized that the beats pro are still weak in the detail department and def suffer from the one note bass syndrom.  not as bad as the beats studio but worse than the 770s.  However since the beats were out an ipod and the beyers out my amp i figured it was unfair.  so i put that plug thing on the beats and stuck it in the amp.  I really couldn't notice much of any improvement.  maybe a hair tighter down low.  but still not much detail.  and the 770 pro 80 isn't exactly a detail monster compared to the other Beyers i didn't even bother comparing it to.

in the end if i had never compared them to something else though, i woulda thought them decent(perhaps overpriced) straight out of an ipod

Aug 27, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #75 of 156

Quote:
i actually spent some time with the pros today.  my first thought was they don't sound too bad.  so i kept listening for about 20 minutes.  Then i put on the 770 80 ohms i got for 90 bucks on ebay and realized that the beats pro are still weak in the detail department and def suffer from the one note bass syndrom.  not as bad as the beats studio but worse than the 770s.  However since the beats were out an ipod and the beyers out my amp i figured it was unfair.  so i put that plug thing on the beats and stuck it in the amp.  I really couldn't notice much of any improvement.  maybe a hair tighter down low.  but still not much detail.  and the 770 pro 80 isn't exactly a detail monster compared to the other Beyers i didn't even bother comparing it to.

in the end if i had never compared them to something else though, i woulda thought them decent(perhaps overpriced) straight out of an ipod

I didn't really expect to use them as a detail can, but was hoping they would be a direct upgrade to the Ultrasone HFI-580. The Beats Studio's treble was pure distortion. Were the Pros that bad or was it more like how the LCD2 just had really recessed treble?  Seeing as how they do not have ANC, the treble should be more refined, no?

I have a feeling you wouldn't like the Ultrasone HFI 580 either. The 770 is a fine headphone, but my impression of it was similar to that of the 880. The bass was lacking impact for genres that need some impactful, claustrophobic bass yet without a forward sound. I suppose the Ultrasone Pro 900 or Denon D7000 could suffice, but I want more impact and I'm curious whether the Beats Pros could actually trump the Ultrasones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back