Monster Beats Pro is like a Sony XB
Aug 25, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #47 of 156

Quote:
Well you have to match peaks to match headphone volume.

If you can visualize moving the blue peak at around 8,000 Hz down to match the red peak you would have a more accurate representation of both phones.

What I also did was EQ down the peak. Still did not get such a bass response. It may have to do with the measuring process. All headphones get enclosed in a box right? I wonder if that effects the measurement.

Aug 25, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #48 of 156

Quote:
Really. Headroom have updated the Ultrasone graphs more than once and they sill aren't right.

The graph you choose to display shows the 701s to be just behind the 580 in terms of bass... when in truth the 701 have very little bass and the HFI-580s are bass-monsters.

Oh I see, you were trying to say all their graphs are off.  You read like an objective comment about the tuning of all Ultrasones.

Aug 25, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #49 of 156
Quote:
Oh I see, you were trying to say all their graphs are off.  You read like an objective comment about the tuning of all Ultrasones.

Ultrasones s-logic could be responsible for throwing the graphs off, could also explain why some people find them to have no soundstage while others love it. There is also a difference as has been mentioned through closed and open/semi open. From FR graphs you can only roughly understand how a headphone will sound, perhaps compared to a similar open/closed phone. My initial comment was referring back to when the HFI-780 had less bass then the K701, it seems to be corrected somewhat now but I still don't think they're spot on.

Quote:

What I also did was EQ down the peak. Still did not get such a bass response. It may have to do with the measuring process. All headphones get enclosed in a box right? I wonder if that effects the measurement.

It looks like this I think.

Again bass response between a semi-open and closed phone don't accurately represent the headphones.

Aug 25, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #50 of 156
Slow decay/resonance is also a cause for "big bass" even if the magnitude isn't elevated.

Aug 25, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #51 of 156
Aug 26, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #52 of 156
Quote:
I  compared both graph of ultrasone ED8 & monster beat pros from innerfidelity.
I  would say that the 300hz square response, and the impulse response of ultrasone ED8 are both better.
And such conclusion come from the fact that I learned from  comparing lot of graph from innerfidelity  before.

The Pros definitely seem to exhibit a bit of slowness in the upper frequencies from the charts. I failed to notice the trail on the 300hz graph.  The 30hz square response clearly shows a better low frequency performance on the Beats Pros though.

Since I'm looking for a bass-based headphone right now, the Beats Pro is sitting in my watch list. I may give them a try out and see how they fair on more bass-oriented genres. AFAIK, people that "reviewed" the Beats Pro were bashing it for it's bassy sound on violin and piano music tracks which is unusually strange and biased criteria for a DJ headphone.

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #53 of 156

Quote:
The Pros definitely seem to exhibit a bit of slowness in the upper frequencies from the charts. I failed to notice the trail on the 300hz graph.  The 30hz square response clearly shows a better low frequency performance on the Beats Pros though.

I found that the peak in the impulse response is better defined in the graph of ultrasone ed8. Also the bass in the 300 hz response looks better near the attack of the signal.  I believe that the 300hz graph is more important than the 30 hz one, because human ears are more sensitive to the first frequency (see the equal loudness countour graph, or fletcher-munson curve).

Quote:

people that "reviewed" the Beats Pro were bashing it for it's bassy sound on violin and piano music tracks which is unusually strange and biased criteria for a DJ headphone.

This means that they are heavily colored, making everything bassy, even if it isn't . Could you imagine a violin or piano to be bassy ?

Aug 26, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #54 of 156

Quote:
This means that they are heavily colored, making everything bassy, even if it isn't . Could you imagine a violin or piano to be bassy ?

That's what I call music right there! XD
Seriously though, just listen to the darn headphones. Pro's are fun and all but in my opinion they are no match for my D2000. I just find the whole experience more satisfying with them.
(didn't know we were censored around here sorry)

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #55 of 156
ED8 sounded really echoey to me...didn't like it too much since it was too unreal. 
Also, K701 when I heard it in Jaben, it had lots more bass than I expected. Why do people say its bass anemic? 

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #56 of 156

Quote:

Actually a Piano can be quite bassy.  It is a stringed and percussion instrument at the same time.  The sound of a proper hammer strike does require a certain amount of decay and reverb to be truly accurate on a Piano.  Something many proclaimed 'neutral' phones fail to do.  Simply because frequency response is unrelated to decay times.  Most people simply don't understand accurate bass or proper acoustic timbre.

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #57 of 156

Quote:
ED8 sounded really echoey to me...

Agreed.  That's the poor acoustics of it's closed design.  Can't be helped in that package size I think.  One reason I don't put the Ed8 up w/ the other TOTL phones and consider it more niche.

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #58 of 156

Quote:

Agreed.  That's the poor acoustics of it's closed design.  Can't be helped in that package size I think.  One reason I don't put the Ed8 up w/ the other TOTL phones and consider it more niche.

Well for the price I certainly expected better. I put it on and they sounded really bad to me...LCD2 on the other hand :)

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #59 of 156

Quote:
Well for the price I certainly expected better.

Price and expectations don't go hand in hand at Ultrasone.  Honestly they are closer to say a Bang and Olufsen in that regard.

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #60 of 156

Quote:
Actually a Piano can be quite bassy.  It is a stringed and percussion instrument at the same time.  The sound of a proper hammer strike does require a certain amount of decay and reverb to be truly accurate on a Piano.  Something many proclaimed 'neutral' phones fail to do.  Simply because frequency response is unrelated to decay times.  Most people simply don't understand accurate bass or proper acoustic timbre.

Though if it were recorded truly well, the recording would capture the natural decay in which case you want the headphone to have as little as possible. On the other hand, the opposite can also be true where a resonant headphone can give some "body" back to a somewhat sterile recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back