Monoprice Monolith M565 immpresions
Mar 29, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #166 of 221
I returned mine(right cup was cutting out, only reason), but they had very good isolation which I appreciated. They are for sure worth like $150 but it gets pretty competitive beyond that.

What do you recommend that's a better closed can under $300?

Mar 29, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #167 of 221
What do you recommend that's a better closed can under $300?

M1060c lol. But its not always that price, just like he560s don't always hover around $200-250. Honestly though I liked both 565c and 1060c but the 565c I got at like 125ish shipped used and at that price it was impressive. Unforunately I couldn't RMA it to fix a loose jack so I returned it.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #168 of 221
M1060c lol. But its not always that price, just like he560s don't always hover around $200-250. Honestly though I liked both 565c and 1060c but the 565c I got at like 125ish shipped used and at that price it was impressive. Unforunately I couldn't RMA it to fix a loose jack so I returned it.

Thanks. Yeah, I want to check those out too. They are just so big and ugly, lol.

Apr 1, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #170 of 221
Apr 12, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #171 of 221
Hey Guys! This is my first post on Head-Fi and I wanted to give my impressions of the M565C as I have seen very little written about these superb cans. For context I also own HD650s, Hifiman He4xxx's with grill mod and Brainwavz angled leather pads, Fidelio X2s, HD598Cs, and AKG K553 Pros. Equipment includes a modded Little Dot 1+, Cavalli Liquid Spark, Schiit Magni 2uber, Nobsound N2SE, FIIO A3, vintage Marantz 2220B reciever, HMDT Havanna NOS tube DAC, and LGV35 with Quad DAC. As far as closed cans go these are by far the best I've heard. They absolutely trounce the HD598s and K553s. I enjoy listening to these as much as the HD650 and HE4xxx open cans.

First off they are very easy to drive especially compared to the HE4xxxs. They sound excellent straight out of the V35 phone, but like most cans they don't reach their full potential until powered with a proper amp. These things definitely sound way better after break-in. My gut feeling is any negative reviews people have of these was due to not giving them the proper time to break in as they sound considerably better after 50-60 hours of use. The bass is very good. They have good impact and definition and dig decently low for a planar. I still think the HE4xxxs with eq and angled pads have slightly better bass, but these are not far behind. The bass texture is excellent. Complex bass guitar work (both electric and acoustic) easily stands out with these and kick drums have excellent punch and attack. The midrange is excellent. Vocals definitely sound right and to my tastes are perfect in the mix, neither too recessed or too forward. Midrange definition and texture is excellent. There is a slight spike around the 1khz range, but this spike evens out nicely after break-in. I still apply about a 1-2 db cut with eq in the this range but overall these sound excellent with an almost flat eq curve applied. Highs are excellent also. I find the highs to be neither too recessed or too bright. They are perfect to my listening tastes. I listen to a lot of jazz and cymbals have the perfect amount of shimmer and decay. At first the highs were a little dark, but they improve immensely after break-in. Overall I find the tonal balance to be about perfect to my listening tastes (I listen to everything from rock, progressive metal, jazz, classical, bluegrass, and other acoustical music).

The things that impressed me the most with these cans are the soundstage and imaging. The soundstage is very wide and has good depth also for a closed can. Instrument separation and placement is extremely good. I prefer the soundstage and imaging of these to the HD650s as they have an appreciably wider soundstage. They are not quite as wide as the modded HE4xxs and certainly not anywhere as wide as the Fidelio X2s though. The soundstage and imaging is easily the best I've heard in a closed can.

I am relatively new to the headphone scene but I've been a hifi enthusiast for years. I have a pretty elaborate 2 channel speaker system that I spent years dialing in. I have to say that I am enjoying the headphone system especially with these cans almost as much as I enjoy my speaker system, and the financial investment of my headphone system is about 1/10th that of my speaker system.

These are excellent cans and deserve way more press than what they have received so far IMHO. Check these out. Just make sure to give them the proper time to break-in and you will be rewarded with excellent sound!

Apr 17, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #172 of 221
Hi y'all! Just wanted to check back in and report the results of a small mod I performed on these with excellent results. I had a couple of Herbies Thin Grunge Busters laying around (the ones I used were the black 2" circles with adhesive backing. They come in different sizes, thicknesses, black or white, and with or without adhesive backing). I took the wood cups off before to see what kind of damping was used in the cups. There were 4 different pieces of felt and foam inserts between each driver and wood cup with varying thicknesses and densities. There was no damping applied directly to the wood cups. I thought what the heck and applied the Herbie's Grunge Busters directly to the inside of each wooden cup. I decided to try leaving out the foam disc that was closest to the wood cups at first and reassembled everything to take a listen. It sounded good, but the bass seamed like it had lost some impact and imaging was a little less precise. I put the foam discs back in while leaving the Herbie's disc attached to the wood cups. Bingo! The bass impact and imaging was back, but even more precise. Everything sounds a little better focused. Micro dynamics and detail have increased along with macro dynamics! I'm honestly not surprised with the increase in micro dynamics, but I am surprised in the increase in overall dynamics and slam! The grunge busters take these already impressive cans up another level. Love it!

On a different front, the only thing I don't like about these is the headstrap. I find the little nubs on the strap to create uncomfortable spots on my head. I'm thinking of trying a ZMF Pilot Pad or one of those wooven pads that wraps around the strap. Any of y'all using 1060s have any suggestions to increase the comfort of the stock headband strap?

Apr 17, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #173 of 221
Hi y'all! Just wanted to check back in and report the results of a small mod I performed on these with excellent results. I had a couple of Herbies Thin Grunge Busters laying around (the ones I used were the black 2" circles with adhesive backing. They come in different sizes, thicknesses, black or white, and with or without adhesive backing). I took the wood cups off before to see what kind of damping was used in the cups. There were 4 different pieces of felt and foam inserts between each driver and wood cup with varying thicknesses and densities. There was no damping applied directly to the wood cups. I thought what the heck and applied the Herbie's Grunge Busters directly to the inside of each wooden cup. I decided to try leaving out the foam disc that was closest to the wood cups at first and reassembled everything to take a listen. It sounded good, but the bass seamed like it had lost some impact and imaging was a little less precise. I put the foam discs back in while leaving the Herbie's disc attached to the wood cups. Bingo! The bass impact and imaging was back, but even more precise. Everything sounds a little better focused. Micro dynamics and detail have increased along with macro dynamics! I'm honestly not surprised with the increase in micro dynamics, but I am surprised in the increase in overall dynamics and slam! The grunge busters take these already impressive cans up another level. Love it!

On a different front, the only thing I don't like about these is the headstrap. I find the little nubs on the strap to create uncomfortable spots on my head. I'm thinking of trying a ZMF Pilot Pad or one of those wooven pads that wraps around the strap. Any of y'all using 1060s have any suggestions to increase the comfort of the stock headband strap?

I'm glad you have had some good luck with your mod! I'm assuming you have the M565C (closed back version) not the open version? I say this because the open M565 only has one foam disk behind the driver and removing it is a definite improvement.

As for headband mods, if you have some sewing skills you could try the headband mod that I have done to my M1060 and M565. The link to my tutorial is in my signature. :)

Apr 17, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #174 of 221
That's correct they're the closed version. I'm really digging them! I enjoy listening to these more than my HD650s, HE4XXXs, and X2s.

Oh wow that is a really awesome strap mod! Very nice work and I bet the velour has to be super comfortable. I'm not sure I've got to skills to do that but who knows after a little more liquid encouragement! Lol! Seriously that's really nice work! Thank you for the info!

Apr 23, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #175 of 221
I just bought a set of Argon MK2s from the for-sale section of the board and received them yesterday. The Argons came with a ZMF Pilot Pad in addition to the already excellent headband. I tried the Pilot Pad on the M565Cs and that does the trick quite well in fixing the comfort issues I had with the M565C headband. It looks like I'll be ordering a couple of more Pilot Pads (one for the 560Cs and one for the HE4XXX) lol!

On a sound quality note I'm not finding the Argons to outclass the M565Cs by a large margin, at least initially. Based on my initial impressions, I am preferring the Argons slightly, but its not a huge difference. Things may change after more listening but right now the M565Cs are still very close. I think that says a lot that the 566Cs are hanging with the HD650s, HE4XXs, and Modhouse Argon Mk2s from a sound quality perspective. I'm having a hard time figuring out why the 565Cs are not receiving more attention in the public's eyes. The performance of these also makes me want to try the 1060Cs (and hell the 1060 opens for that matter).

Apr 23, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #176 of 221
I just bought a set of Argon MK2s from the for-sale section of the board and received them yesterday. The Argons came with a ZMF Pilot Pad in addition to the already excellent headband. I tried the Pilot Pad on the M565Cs and that does the trick quite well in fixing the comfort issues I had with the M565C headband. It looks like I'll be ordering a couple of more Pilot Pads (one for the 560Cs and one for the HE4XXX) lol!

On a sound quality note I'm not finding the Argons to outclass the M565Cs by a large margin, at least initially. Based on my initial impressions, I am preferring the Argons slightly, but its not a huge difference. Things may change after more listening but right now the M565Cs are still very close. I think that says a lot that the 566Cs are hanging with the HD650s, HE4XXs, and Modhouse Argon Mk2s from a sound quality perspective. I'm having a hard time figuring out why the 565Cs are not receiving more attention in the public's eyes. The performance of these also makes me want to try the 1060Cs (and hell the 1060 opens for that matter).

565c's don't get any love simply because the 1060c's exist. I personally liked the 565c quite a bit.

Apr 23, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #177 of 221
That makes a lot of sense actually! Have you tried the 1060Cs and had the chance to compare to the 565Cs?

Apr 24, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #178 of 221
That makes a lot of sense actually! Have you tried the 1060Cs and had the chance to compare to the 565Cs?

My 1060cs were out for RMA when I had the 565cs lol. Off the top of my head they were kind of similar sounding, the 565cs isolate better and are more comfortable, I think their bass was comparable. Mids and highs seemed worse but again I couldn't A B test them so who knows.

Apr 24, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #179 of 221
Good deal! It definitely sounds like the 1060cs are on my to try list. I bet the Herbie's Grunge Buster mod to the back of the wood cups on the 1060cs will work well. It certainly made a notable difference on the 565cs.

Sep 6, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #180 of 221
iv just today got mine an hooked um up to my jds atom an started to test them out to find my desired listing level an one of the drivers went out ,before that i was really enjoying them

my question is is that just somthing that happens time to time or did i run them wrong ,i didnt turn them up past half

with the atom in low gain mode at first but then i tried the high gain which i started with the volume at 1/4 which with

the high gain sounded as loud as half volume with low gain but about 2min into a track my left side went out, is that

because had to much gain an volume or was that just these cans........eather way iv already requested an rma to get a

replacement set because before the kicked it i really liked them ?....................Koan - Briar Rose Side B this album was sublime on them before the issues happened

Users who are viewing this thread

Back