Monoprice Monolith M565 immpresions
Sep 6, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #181 of 221
iv just today got mine an hooked um up to my jds atom an started to test them out to find my desired listing level an one of the drivers went out ,before that i was really enjoying them

my question is is that just somthing that happens time to time or did i run them wrong ,i didnt turn them up past half

with the atom in low gain mode at first but then i tried the high gain which i started with the volume at 1/4 which with

the high gain sounded as loud as half volume with low gain but about 2min into a track my left side went out, is that

because had to much gain an volume or was that just these cans........eather way iv already requested an rma to get a

replacement set because before the kicked it i really liked them ?....................Koan - Briar Rose Side B this album was sublime on them before the issues happened

That's a real bummer! But It definitely wasn't your fault the driver failed. If Monoprice's specs are to be believed it should be able to handle 10 watts of peak power and >130 dB spl. The Atom can only put 1 watt of power into the 32 ohm M565. Even with the amp at full tilt you should have been well below the capacity of the driver.

Your pair was just defective, unfortunately. Maybe bad solder joints on the driver? The solder job on these headphones isn't great. In any case, the rma process should be mostly painless so you should be jamming out to Koan again in no time. :o2smile:

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #183 of 221
thanks im still i think a noob audiophile when it comes to somthings is this world of hifi cans so i was seekin advice from those more teckee then i .. so thanks !
never had that happen with those cans. But have had the sound stop. Have you forcefully pushed in the connectors? Sometimes they can feel inserted but arent. Things will play and then stop.

Sep 19, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #184 of 221
just got my replaement set an all is good so far ,but iv got a question i heard once from a buddy that power is volume which he meant that more power makes the cans louder at the same volume setting on the know , idont know how true that really is as i only have 1 headphone amp (the jds atom) to go by thats 1watt output at 32ohms for these cans ,my long winded ? is if i got the MAGNI that puts out 2watts at 32ohms would i notice a big difference or at least a good one like 25% on the volume knob sound like 50% on the volume knob if all that dosent sound nuts!!

iv been thinkin about changing my current setup which is the followin

jds ol dac
jds subjective 3
jds the atom

to
Topping D10 Desktop USB DAC Interface

any thoughts

Sep 19, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #185 of 221
just got my replaement set an all is good so far ,but iv got a question i heard once from a buddy that power is volume which he meant that more power makes the cans louder at the same volume setting on the know , idont know how true that really is as i only have 1 headphone amp (the jds atom) to go by thats 1watt output at 32ohms for these cans ,my long winded ? is if i got the MAGNI that puts out 2watts at 32ohms would i notice a big difference or at least a good one like 25% on the volume knob sound like 50% on the volume knob if all that dosent sound nuts!!

iv been thinkin about changing my current setup which is the followin

jds ol dac
jds subjective 3
jds the atom

to
Topping D10 Desktop USB DAC Interface

any thoughts
First of all, I'm glad to hear you got your replacement set!

Power is volume (usually) but how the power is delivered is just as, or even more important, than how much power there is. Yes, the Magni would probably be louder but the JDS Atom has better power delivery with lower distortion (some say it's a mini THX 789, which is a very, very good amp) so most would consider the Magni to be a downgrade or at least a sidegrade to the Atom despite putting out more power. So I would say, save your money on that one and stick with your Atom. If you would like some extra reading on the subject, here is a direct measurement shootout between the Magni 3 and JDS Atom (Spoilers! The Atom wins). Now measurements aren't everything but it's a good place to start. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-of-new-jds-labs-atom-headphone-amp.5262/

From what I've seen the Schiit Loki is superior to the Subjective 3 with finer controls and better build quality. However, $150 is a good chunk of money for an EQ so whether that's worth it or not, I leave that up to you.

Now for the DAC. I don't know which version of OL DAC you have but unless you really need the extra inputs the D10 offers or the ultra high bitrate/DSD support I would save your money there, too. The M565 isn't resolving enough to be able to notice a sound quality difference from DACs and the OL DAC measures pretty good. So if you want to upgrade for the extra features/inputs, go for it. If you are looking for a sound quality improvement, I would pass on it for now.

Anyway, I hope this makes sense and answers your questions. Also, keep in mind, these are merely my opinions, not gospel truths. Happy listening! :o2smile:

Sep 19, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #186 of 221
Agree with post above in that the Magni would be a sideways move to your Atom. It's my experience that the M565Cs don't need a ton of power to open up and sound their best. Your Atom should supply plenty of power. If you really want to get a different type of sound, I would suggest trying a tube hybrid amp like a Little Dot MK1+, Schit Lyra, Cavalli CTH, etc. I find tube hybrid amps (have personal experience with the M565C with the LD MK1+ and Schiit Lyra 2) to sound excellent with the 565.

Sep 19, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #187 of 221
thanks theangelboy what do you think about the ASGARD MODULAR HEADPHONE AMP an its 3.5watts at 32omhs an how it compares to the atom in the delivery with lower distortion does the ASGARD fair better or worse than the atom becauser having clean sound an a good load of juice for future upgrade in headphones is important to me as iv got a pecticular budget of $250 max when it comes to tring to get a part at a certain price that might not be available later on .

Sep 19, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #188 of 221
I thought I would add my 2 cents to this discussion. I have both the 565 and 565C. I think these are the most underrated - under-the-radar headphones. I can't believe more people aren't singing their praises. I will take a guess and say that it's because of the 1060. I think most people would think that the 1060 is better so why bother with the lesser 565. That hasn't been my experience at all. If you plan on modding the crap out of the 1060, maybe they are better. But without modding they are inferior to the 565 IMHO.

I did go down the modding path with the 565 but decided that the suggested mods (blue tack mod and cloth replacing the foam pad on the 565) sucked the magic out of them. The one mod I did do that has been gobsmacking for me was to put a pair of ZMF oval lambskins on top of the stock pads. Holy crap!

I have 2 amps that work really well with both the 565 and 565C. The first is the Emotiva BasX A-100 with the jumpers installed. What a fantastic amp and very affordable for $250 shipped. It will power any headphone you throw at it. The other amp is portable - the Cayin C5 which, as portable amps go, is also very powerful and has a fantastic bass boost if that is your thing.

I also use the Loki for tweaking. I think it's worth the $150 since I use a Chromebook and don't have access to really good EQ apps. I would think you might do better with EQ apps if you are using a PC.

I love both of these headphones and have sold several much more expensive headphones that didn't measure up to the 565 (Eikon, Denon D7200, Campfire Cascade, AKG K812).

Sep 19, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #189 of 221
I thought I would add my 2 cents to this discussion. I have both the 565 and 565C. I think these are the most underrated - under-the-radar headphones. I can't believe more people aren't singing their praises. I will take a guess and say that it's because of the 1060. I think most people would think that the 1060 is better so why bother with the lesser 565. That hasn't been my experience at all. If you plan on modding the crap out of the 1060, maybe they are better. But without modding they are inferior to the 565 IMHO.

I did go down the modding path with the 565 but decided that the suggested mods (blue tack mod and cloth replacing the foam pad on the 565) sucked the magic out of them. The one mod I did do that has been gobsmacking for me was to put a pair of ZMF oval lambskins on top of the stock pads. Holy crap!

I have 2 amps that work really well with both the 565 and 565C. The first is the Emotiva BasX A-100 with the jumpers installed. What a fantastic amp and very affordable for $250 shipped. It will power any headphone you throw at it. The other amp is portable - the Cayin C5 which, as portable amps go, is also very powerful and has a fantastic bass boost if that is your thing.

I also use the Loki for tweaking. I think it's worth the $150 since I use a Chromebook and don't have access to really good EQ apps. I would think you might do better with EQ apps if you are using a PC.

I love both of these headphones and have sold several much more expensive headphones that didn't measure up to the 565 (Eikon, Denon D7200, Campfire Cascade, AKG K812).

Couldn't agree more. I too find the 565Cs to be very underappreciated.

Sep 19, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #190 of 221
thanks theangelboy what do you think about the ASGARD MODULAR HEADPHONE AMP an its 3.5watts at 32omhs an how it compares to the atom in the delivery with lower distortion does the ASGARD fair better or worse than the atom becauser having clean sound an a good load of juice for future upgrade in headphones is important to me as iv got a pecticular budget of $250 max when it comes to tring to get a part at a certain price that might not be available later on .
The Asgard 3 definitely seems like a great amp. I haven't heard it myself and I haven't been able to find any 3rd party measurements but it definitely seems like a more powerful option than the Atom and definitely better than the Magni. It's going to be overkill for your M565 but depending on the 'phones you are planning on getting it could be a good way to future-proof a bit. And it should last for years. All of the Schiit products I have owned are very well built and have never had any problems with them.

Sep 19, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #191 of 221

Agreed. The 565C are my favorite closed cans, period. I bought the 1065C and didn't sounds as good (stock) and were uncomfortable.

I use an Atom to power them and it is more than enough on low gain!

Note: Sometimes amps seem under powered when it is really the DAC that's not putting out a full 2V.

Sep 21, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #192 of 221
thanks to all those for all the advice an thoughts on the m565 ,on a side note

what are your impressions when it comes to music with deep bass reverberations like my fav albums like these

The Dividing
by Android Lust

The Human Animal
by Android Lust

Berlin // Crater V2
by Android Lust

Leaving Home (remastered)
by Solar Fields

Origin # 02
by Solar Fields

solar fields mirror's edge catalyst

any of you m565 owners listened to any of these an do you think m565 handles them well especially in regards to the bass pre & post earpad modification, me personally on all these albums my impression pre earpad upgrade (ZMF Universe Pads) coming from my ath ad500x
the bass,mids, an treble sound to my ear without eq about 40% better 50% with eq im sensitive to high treble which is strange im 33 when i was 12 it didn't bother me but did my sister but now she dosen't mind it but i do ,i guess now im one who likes warm sounding headphones which i think means softer treble, the m565 is definitely smoother then the ad500x to me i find that i use the eq less often usually i eq only when listening to youtube vids do to the various quality of the source material.

ill give my critique once iv got my earpad upgrades.

Oct 7, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #193 of 221
a few things first i know the pad might look a little tattered ,im still modding
im going to use a sewing machine to stitch on some velcro to the little flaps that look torn in the pic ,once i do ill fold them back to properly grip the built in pad thats on the monoprice m565, my current mods are to the cans pads upgrades from ZMF and are Perf Suede also currently on the way
are a 4foot custom balanced cables from periaptcables, my stack is all from jds labs the ol dac ,subjective 3,an the atom .....an yes i know the dac is upside down,....an while i am very happy with my setup chose it does leave for me somthing to be desired the eq not that great as zreviews said an i agree its not good for fine tuning ya have to turn the knobs quite a bit before ya notice a change an then on top of that using it makes everything thats not loud to damn quite for me to hear without using the high gain but gets distorted, so after some back an forth with advice from some people on av forums iv decided to upgrade to the SMSL SU-8 Version 2 DAC,Peavey PV 215EQ,an the xDuoo TA-20 Tube Amp just more over all kick the eq i only use when watching youtube or netflix because of the wildly veryin content which some times need it my tunes through foobar sound fine especially since the pad upgrads ...treble much less harsh

Attachments

• PHOTO_20191005_031128-1-1.jpg
    PHOTO_20191005_031128-1-1.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • PHOTO_20191005_031357-1-1.jpg
    PHOTO_20191005_031357-1-1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • PHOTO_20191005_031428-1-1.jpg
    PHOTO_20191005_031428-1-1.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PHOTO_20191005_031457-1-1.jpg
    PHOTO_20191005_031457-1-1.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PHOTO_20191005_031510-1-1.jpg
    PHOTO_20191005_031510-1-1.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Oct 7, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #194 of 221
I don't see any pic. Maybe it's just me, since I'm an old fart, but I have a difficult time following what you are trying to convey without any punctuation after your sentences. It's like reading a wall of text.

As for the ZMF pads, I just put my ZMF oval lambskins on over the stock pads - no sewing required. It's really easy to do, you get a good seal and the sound and comfort improve immensely for me.

Oct 7, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #195 of 221
sorry my pics didnt load properly from my end

Attachments

• tiff2pdf (3).pdf
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
  • tiff2pdf (2).pdf
    9.2 MB · Views: 0
  • tiff2pdf (1).pdf
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
  • tiff2pdf (3).pdf
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
  • tiff2pdf (2).pdf