Monoprice Monolith M565 immpresions
Feb 27, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #151 of 221
@theangelboy I was re-reading your comparison to the HE 4xx ...have you thought about modding the M565 any further? It seems like doing some internal damping with bluetack or dynamat would bring the clarity/details closer to what the Hifimans provide.
The more mods I do, the more time I spend with my modded M565, the less likely it seems I am picking up a set of the 4xx!

Yeah, I plan on doing that mod to the M565 at some point. I've been busy lately doing some pad rolling on my old K240 and trying to mod some Monoprice retros. The next time I stop by the dollar store I will look for some blutack. I already have some dynamat but it is a pain to cut and leaves a mess when removing it. I like the idea of blutack better. I also need to see if I have some speaker cloth laying around to cover the grille. Oh, and I was going to ask you, how are you holding your cloth tight on the back of the grille?

Feb 27, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #152 of 221
Yeah, I plan on doing that mod to the M565 at some point. I've been busy lately doing some pad rolling on my old K240 and trying to mod some Monoprice retros. The next time I stop by the dollar store I will look for some blutack. I already have some dynamat but it is a pain to cut and leaves a mess when removing it. I like the idea of blutack better. I also need to see if I have some speaker cloth laying around to cover the grille. Oh, and I was going to ask you, how are you holding your cloth tight on the back of the grille?
I thought long and hard about how to make sure the cloth stayed nice and flat... when I was putting it back together I laid the cloth inside the cup to test the fit and stuck it back together and the cloth just stayed in place. I put some gorilla tape inside one of the cups the first time I did the mod...but it seemed to stay in place just fine without it, so when I re-did the mod I just kind of laid the cloth over the backside of the grill and let the bluetack hold it...seems like the whole thing is a close enough fit that is just stays. It's not perfect, it could be tighter, but it's fine how it is.

Feb 27, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #153 of 221
I laid the cloth inside the cup to test the fit and stuck it back together and the cloth just stayed in place.

Interesting. Well, I guess that makes it easy!

Mar 1, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #154 of 221
I went back and looked at my pictures to make sure I was remembering it correctly...yep, I just cut a piece to fit and laid it in there and so far it hasn't moved:
52029274_10215677390982007_4059356187689222144_o.jpg

Mar 2, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #155 of 221
I ordered the Monoprice velour pads the other day when they had the additional 20% off coupon. (the price is currently $15.00) They look good, they are very comfortable and the headphones sound awesome. With all the mods I've done (foam removal, bluetack damping, velour pads with foam backer rod added) the sound is much more open and clear than stock, they retained the excellent planar bass, soundstage, instrument separation and clarity are all improved. Over all it is less dark/warm sounding, more balanced, the mids are rich and full. By comparison, after the mods, my Fidelio L2 sound kind of thin/spare, dry through the mids...something I have never thought about the mids on my L2.
I can't say enough good things about the M565...since modding them my other headphones are starting to show 'flaws' that they didn't have before.
For less than $100 total cost, the M565 is a total rockstar.
52929864_10215783234068018_1241097870388494336_o.jpg

Mar 2, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #156 of 221
I ordered the Monoprice velour pads the other day when they had the additional 20% off coupon. (the price is currently $15.00) They look good, they are very comfortable and the headphones sound awesome. With all the mods I've done (foam removal, bluetack damping, velour pads with foam backer rod added) the sound is much more open and clear than stock, they retained the excellent planar bass, soundstage, instrument separation and clarity are all improved. Over all it is less dark/warm sounding, more balanced, the mids are rich and full. By comparison, after the mods, my Fidelio L2 sound kind of thin/spare, dry through the mids...something I have never thought about the mids on my L2.
I can't say enough good things about the M565...since modding them my other headphones are starting to show 'flaws' that they didn't have before.
For less than $100 total cost, the M565 is a total rockstar.
Cool dude. Glad you dig the pads

Mar 2, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #157 of 221
If you cant find the blutak, rope caulk is just as good and cheap. Dynamat is a mess waiting to happen. You have that right. Though its really good in This application. I have 2 other materials that may be better. Will post once i get a handle on things

Mar 13, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #158 of 221
Alright, I finally got around to going to the dollar store today and picked up some bluetack for my M565. When I got home I realized that I have a whole block of non-hardening modeling clay that I used to mass load the driver baffles of my T20RP back in the day and totally forgot about. Do any of you think there will be an appreciable difference in resonance dampening between the bluetack and the modeling clay? I mean, they seem to be pretty similar substances. If their isn't I will probably use the clay because I have way more of it and I'm probably not going to use it for much else.

Mar 14, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #159 of 221
Alright, I finally got around to going to the dollar store today and picked up some bluetack for my M565. When I got home I realized that I have a whole block of non-hardening modeling clay that I used to mass load the driver baffles of my T20RP back in the day and totally forgot about. Do any of you think there will be an appreciable difference in resonance dampening between the bluetack and the modeling clay? I mean, they seem to be pretty similar substances. If their isn't I will probably use the clay because I have way more of it and I'm probably not going to use it for much else.
My 2 cents is that they probably do the same thing and damp similar frequencies. But it may be good to use a bit of both.

On my 1060s I have used 2 different materials and liked mixing it.

Cool thing is that you can blow your mind if you want by removing and experimenting. Placement and amounts can allow you to tune things.

Need to get off my a$$ and wire up my 565s.

Here is what I did to the 1060s

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/m1060-mod.898962/page-3#post-14827529

Mar 16, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #160 of 221
I just got a new M565. I had been running a slightly modded one for a month previously. It's interesting going back all the way to the beginning. It may be all in my head, but this new one seems to be a bit better balanced overall. The bass doesn't seem to overpower everything else. The highs seem more prominent. I wonder if it is a planar sealing/damping thing since the housing popped out without effort unlike my previous pair. I know @theangelboy also had trouble getting those housings out and his descriptions seemed find the headphones tilt towards the lower frequencies. Tighter fit = better damping? Leakage in the sealing ring between the planar housing and cup? Variations in model? All in my head? All these differences in reviews saying they're either dark vs balanced are making sense to me now...

Mar 17, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #161 of 221
Just picked up a pair of 565c's for 120ish on amazon. It's very different from m1060c, much better isolation but the mids are pretty bad. The bass is actually better than m1060c from what I can tell. I disagree with people saying its just a baby m1060c, its very different. Whether its different in a good way is arguable though, I'll have to give it more headtime.

Also funny enough the included cable is different too. Same look and everything, but the fabric wrap is much softer and because of this there is no microphonics. Weird since the m565c and m1060c came out at the same time, yet the 1060c comes with one of the worst stock cables(horrific microphonics) of all time and the m565c has a passable one. I'm considering opening my m1060c's now since they have terrible isolation by comparison and these might work as my closed backs.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #162 of 221
Just picked up a pair of 565c's for 120ish on amazon. It's very different from m1060c, much better isolation but the mids are pretty bad. The bass is actually better than m1060c from what I can tell. I disagree with people saying its just a baby m1060c, its very different. Whether its different in a good way is arguable though, I'll have to give it more headtime.

Also funny enough the included cable is different too. Same look and everything, but the fabric wrap is much softer and because of this there is no microphonics. Weird since the m565c and m1060c came out at the same time, yet the 1060c comes with one of the worst stock cables(horrific microphonics) of all time and the m565c has a passable one. I'm considering opening my m1060c's now since they have terrible isolation by comparison and these might work as my closed backs.
I hope you don't intend to leave them stock...it improves greatly with some basic tweaks.

Mar 18, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #163 of 221
I hope you don't intend to leave them stock...it improves greatly with some basic tweaks.

have to return it lol. got it used on amazon so its not covered by monoprice warranty (I think) and having issues with one of the cups having a loose connector. If anyone knows how to fix that I'd give it a try but kinda bummed, for 120 these were very enjoyable but I wouldn't pay full price especially when full price is pretty much he560 territory.

Oh well, at least I finally satisfied my curiosity on the m565c. It's definitely a viable option for portability since it actually has good isolation unlike the m1060c, very light and decently comfy. Opened a cup and sounded good open as well obviously. I'm sure they will drop in price again soon since literally no one is buying them because of lack of information and the idea that its just m1060c JR.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #164 of 221
Anybody got an impression on the m565c?

Finally caved an bought them. I'm impressed. They blow away my other closed cans (ATH-M50X, Senn Momentum). They sound like a closed HE-400i, which I love. Better bass, maybe less delicate and airy, but very good overall. Similar boosted highs around 8-10k it sounds like.*

*Edit: The boost is lower, 1k-5k I'm guessing. I might play with EQ

The earholes are small, and the headband might not fit giant heads. Fits me fine (big head, little ears), but ymmv. The headband hits right at the top of my head, which I don't like, but at least it's softer than the padded-on-wrong-side ATH-M50X. The pleather earpads get hot, but they are replaceable with that short velcro command strip type stuff holding them on. The overall fit and finish is very nice with nice wood and a strong metal frame.

The cable is cloth, which I prefer to the hard plastic HE-400i cable. No microphonics. Each cup has a tight jack, no problem there.

I'll update if longer listening reveals any flaws or reliability issues. These Monoprice m565c cans got "best everyday audiophile headphones" on Wirecutter, by the way! They also recommend Campfire, Final Audio, and Hifiman, to give you an idea of their tastes.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-400-over-ear-headphones/

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #165 of 221
I returned mine(right cup was cutting out, only reason), but they had very good isolation which I appreciated. They are for sure worth like $150 but it gets pretty competitive beyond that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back