Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 2, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #7,726 of 8,051
While I do like the openness of the HE-4xx I partially feel that it is a bit too neutral for me. I don't necessarily want a bass head since I do not like heavily recessed mids. Right now I am running them off a FiiO e10k, and eventually in the future I plan on getting the Little Bear B4-X.

The M1060 are lively cans and definitely have a better low end than the 4XX, and can even be basshead level if EQ'ed that way. Overall, I think you'd feel they were a worthwhile upgrade. I do see a possible problem for you though, the M1060 like a little bit of power and neither the e10k or B4-X is powerful. If you don't need the amp you purchase to be portable, you'd get much more power going with either a Schiit Magni 3 or Monolith Liquid Spark. Both of those can be had for around $100.

Mar 3, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #7,727 of 8,051
JDS atom is pretty good too. It opens up possibilities of running T50RP modded cans :)

Mar 3, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #7,728 of 8,051
Hyped. Scored a nice m560 and have my micro suede brainwaz pads for that set in hand. Will be a great work set of cans.

On another note. I got 1mm felt for $0.33 and used the foam in my m1060 as template. Just used the felt, no foam. Plus the brainwavez micro suede pads... results are very very good. Bass is same as with foam but just more spacious. Overall sound is wider, but not as much as with deleted foam totally. But it is more focused and well presented. Very gradual dip in highs with little to no spikes. Seems to retain midrange all the same. 0 siblance. I am loving them more and more.

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #7,729 of 8,051
Hi everyone, first head-fi post here. I just got the m560s and I love them, but definitely pick up the "honkyness" that has been described before, and the treble is a just bit sharper than I'm used to. What pads should I get to help tame the treble and soften that "honkyness" a bit, without sacrificing too much definition? I tried the Sony XB500 pads, but they sounded a bit too stuffy, probably from how far away they put my ears from the drivers.

Mar 3, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #7,730 of 8,051
i was not a big fan of the xb500 pads either. So far my zmf oval lambskins are the best but I did throw up some good alternatives in an earlier thread. If you dont mind waiting and want budget pads try these

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/70m...Ear-Pad-for-Sony-for-AKG-for/32899642902.html
95mm pleather with memory foam, only $7.50 and sound great and are super comfy

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/She...Headphones-Ear-Pads-Cushions/32952117215.html
Im still waiting for these to get here, Same as the others just sheepskin and only $12.00

So for $20 bucks you can both with out breaking the bank and have perfect fitting pads, specially if you want to destroy the stock pads and use the mounting from them on the new ones.

I wish more people would try these cans, they really are amazing and deserve their own thread since this one is mainly for the m1060

I also ordered some 100mm ori style pads to try out on M560, he-4xx and the Argons
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...s-Earpads-High-Quality-11-29/32957776585.html

They look promising

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #7,731 of 8,051
i was not a big fan of the xb500 pads either. So far my zmf oval lambskins are the best but I did throw up some good alternatives in an earlier thread. If you dont mind waiting and want budget pads try these

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/70m...Ear-Pad-for-Sony-for-AKG-for/32899642902.html
95mm pleather with memory foam, only $7.50 and sound great and are super comfy

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/She...Headphones-Ear-Pads-Cushions/32952117215.html
Im still waiting for these to get here, Same as the others just sheepskin and only $12.00

So for $20 bucks you can both with out breaking the bank and have perfect fitting pads, specially if you want to destroy the stock pads and use the mounting from them on the new ones.

I wish more people would try these cans, they really are amazing and deserve their own thread since this one is mainly for the m1060

I also ordered some 100mm ori style pads to try out on M560, he-4xx and the Argons
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...s-Earpads-High-Quality-11-29/32957776585.html

They look promising

Thanks for the suggestions! Have you tried any suede pads yet? In my research, some people seem to think that suedes work well at reigning the M560s in, but checking ZMF's website, they claim that their suedes help reduce mid-bass and improve treble, which is the exact opposite of what I am looking for. I kinda wanted suedes, but whatever irons out the "pointy bits" of the M560s will be what I go for.

Mar 3, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #7,732 of 8,051
Thanks for the suggestions! Have you tried any suede pads yet? In my research, some people seem to think that suedes work well at reigning the M560s in, but checking ZMF's website, they claim that their suedes help reduce mid-bass and improve treble, which is the exact opposite of what I am looking for. I kinda wanted suedes, but whatever irons out the "pointy bits" of the M560s will be what I go for.

I got some pads coming tomorrow to test on my he-4xx and argons, while my ori suedes are off ill try them on the m560

The only thing I've ever read on the m560 were to use the xb500 pads and I wasnt a fan at all, I tried the xb700's too and thats what I had on them for about a year. Now that Ive destroyed the stock pads and being able to pad swap, those xb700 sucked too compared to those cheap pleathers I got.

Tomorrow is gonna be fun, new pads and a new headband for my m1060c's will be here and finally a new mic.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #7,733 of 8,051
I got some pads coming tomorrow to test on my he-4xx and argons, while my ori suedes are off ill try them on the m560

The only thing I've ever read on the m560 were to use the xb500 pads and I wasnt a fan at all, I tried the xb700's too and thats what I had on them for about a year. Now that Ive destroyed the stock pads and being able to pad swap, those xb700 sucked too compared to those cheap pleathers I got.

Tomorrow is gonna be fun, new pads and a new headband for my m1060c's will be here and finally a new mic.

Sounds like a good time. Keep me posted on your results and I'll see about trying some Brainwavez suedes on my M560s. I wanted to find someone to 3d print some of the plastic pad holders, but there aren't many people in my area that do affordable prints, but we'll see what happens. I think that the M560s have great potential and are only being held back by the stock pads.

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #7,734 of 8,051
Hmmm... My hands are sore

ODs2Kmq.jpg

just a minute modification. don't think anyone will notice it :wink:
L6D9auv.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #7,735 of 8,051
Well, after receiving the 3d printed plates and the Brainwavz pads I order, I preformed a padswap on my M560s. Soundstage gets a little bit bigger, and the highs are brought back just a little, but overall sound signature stays the same. Compared to my 58x Jubilees, the M560s still sound rather "honky" and hollow in the midrange, lack the bass impact that I wanted from planars, and the treble is still a bit too bright for me. I don't want to spend any more money trying to "fix" them, so I think, unfortunately, I will be returning my M560s, and getting the HE4xx instead.

Mar 9, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #7,736 of 8,051
Well, after receiving the 3d printed plates and the Brainwavz pads I order, I preformed a padswap on my M560s. Soundstage gets a little bit bigger, and the highs are brought back just a little, but overall sound signature stays the same. Compared to my 58x Jubilees, the M560s still sound rather "honky" and hollow in the midrange, lack the bass impact that I wanted from planars, and the treble is still a bit too bright for me. I don't want to spend any more money trying to "fix" them, so I think, unfortunately, I will be returning my M560s, and getting the HE4xx instead.

The HE4XX will definitely not get you the bass impact you're looking for. You would be better off catching a used set of Monolith M1060 for sale, which can regularly be had for under $200. Or saving a little bit more and buying a set of Verum 1's either used now or new later when they come off of backorder.

Mar 9, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #7,737 of 8,051

The HE4XX are great headphones especially with a little modding and the right amp. Althouth they aren't bass canons they respond well to a bass bump via eq or an amp's tone control. An M1060 will have more slam, however, thanks to the larger diaphragm.

Mar 9, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #7,738 of 8,051

Which brainwavz did u get? Honestly everything you are saying sounds like the M1060 with brainwavz micro suede pads to me. Really. They have great extended bass, not honkie in the mids and the highs are mellow. Can do next to free mods that will get really great sound. I got an open box from monoprice for $195 a bit ago. Honestly seems to be what you are more looking for.

Mar 9, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #7,739 of 8,051
To clarify, I'm not looking for bass canons, I have M100s for that. I just wanted to experience the "planar bass" that everyone talks about, but the M560s are rather flat in the low end compared to what I expected. I am considering M1060s, but they cost more than the M560s and the HE4xx and I don't want to have to spend even more money on mods. The 4xx seems like a safer buy considering the 1060s QC issues, 5k ring, etc... and the reviews I've read giving the 4xx a more neutral, pleasant and laid back sound rather than the forward, exciting and in-your-face 1060s. I just want good, cheap planars that I'm not required to mod after buying. Is the M1060s sound signature extremely different from the M560s? Reviews seem rather polarized. I'm a college student, so I'm not exactly made of time and money, so I'm leery of spending $300 on a pair of headphones, and another $100-$150 "fixing" them with mods. I could get the 4xx and a killer amp for that money.

Mar 9, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #7,740 of 8,051
You do you for sure but I wouldn’t ever call m1060 in your face. It’s a flat line up till around 2khz then a 5/10db gradual dip then pretty well even. Mine do not have the 5k spike. Only thing I’d do is swap to microsuede pads at $24. That’s it. You won’t get planar bass with 4xx I don’t think but I don’t own them.

I’ll direct compare my m1060 with my m560 next week and can give more into what the differences are. Both will have the micro suede pads

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back