Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 28, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #7,711 of 8,051
Speaking of Stax, Monoprice has electrostatic cans too! Some day... maybe some day. I still have to save up for my DIY R2R dac project :frowning2:

Last night I had a dream... so I churned up Mr. Photoshop this afternoon and printed some thermolam covers
gX1x390.jpg

and CAD some new grilles https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3458741

3orThMx.jpg

all I could think of is sweet nectar

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #7,712 of 8,051
So I love my M1060 but since they are open back I can't use them at work, would the M560 closedback be a good option - I currently use ATH-m50 originals at work and are what I have on my head right now. I like my trusty ATH-m50s but now that I have a taste of planar it's just really pulling at me to go for the M560s.

Anyone have a coupon for monoprice that's active as well?

Feb 28, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #7,713 of 8,051
Either the m560 or maybe Dekoni blues are pretty nice too. If you're willing to wait, modhouse argons are at the top of the sub 500 buck food chain. They have extremely wide soundstage for a closed back that rivals many open backs.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #7,714 of 8,051
Either the m560 or maybe Dekoni blues are pretty nice too. If you're willing to wait, modhouse argons are at the top of the sub 500 buck food chain. They have extremely wide soundstage for a closed back that rivals many open backs.
Got the Modhouse Argons and I love them. But you need a powerful amp in order to drive them properly. Same with the Dekoni Blues since they are both T50RP Mods. That's another reason why I still have and love my M1060s

Feb 28, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #7,715 of 8,051
I am really just looking at the M560s, not anything else. I am pretty happy with my ATH-m50 cans but just bored with them. I'll need the low ohms because I don't have the funds/budget for a dac/amp for work. Just going out of my Dell laptop here currently and am fine with it. Overall I just was thinking staying in the same camp with my 1060s would be nice. The 1060C are to big and heavy for 8+ hours a day use. But those all look like awesome options none the less!

Feb 28, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #7,716 of 8,051
the m560's are great even in closed form for me. Just swap the pads out. Stock pads are horrible. my zmf ovals do wonders for them but those are for my Argons when they get here tomorrow.

IMG_0636.JPG IMG_0637.JPG

When you take the rings out of the stock pads you get 2 parts, backing felt on the left and inner ring on right
Pads are 95mm pads from aliexpress. think they were 7 dollars. They are pleather with memory foam and a much bigger ear opening then stock pads. My sheep skin 95mm pads from aliexpress should be here soon. Should be the perfect mate for the m560's

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #7,717 of 8,051
the m560's are great even in closed form for me. Just swap the pads out. Stock pads are horrible. my zmf ovals do wonders for them but those are for my Argons when they get here tomorrow.

When you take the rings out of the stock pads you get 2 parts, backing felt on the left and inner ring on right
Pads are 95mm pads from aliexpress. think they were 7 dollars. They are pleather with memory foam and a much bigger ear opening then stock pads. My sheep skin 95mm pads from aliexpress should be here soon. Should be the perfect mate for the m560's

Well that is awesome. I just got micro suede pads ordered the other day for my m50s because I liked them so much on my m1060s. They will totally fit the m560 with a bit of surgery to the original pads. Going to wait a bit till another promo code is floating around and grab them.

The more I listen to Planars the more I keep thinking of how they really mirror how a good Ribbon Mic sounds and share some of the basic concepts and characteristics. Smooth, warm, and since it's a membrane you can hear things effortlessly, like someone is really whispering in your ear. My old Cascade FatHead II Ribbon mic was a close friend for many a year. Miss that thing.

Feb 28, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #7,718 of 8,051
Has anyone here heard the new Monoprice estats?
DMS had a great review of them! It was 20 minutes long with no sound and he was just looking at them in disgust and shaking his head occasionally. I can't seem to find it now but it was pretty funny.

Mar 2, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #7,722 of 8,051
7POxrTj.jpg

Mar 2, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #7,724 of 8,051
Would it be worth selling my HE-4xx's and upgrading to these?

That depends on what you're looking for. Is there something that you feel your HE-4XX are missing or don't do well? What do you like about them? That would help us to answer whether or not it would be a worthy upgrade for you.

Mar 2, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #7,725 of 8,051
That depends on what you're looking for. Is there something that you feel your HE-4XX are missing or don't do well? What do you like about them? That would help us to answer whether or not it would be a worthy upgrade for you.
While I do like the openness of the HE-4xx I partially feel that it is a bit too neutral for me. I don't necessarily want a bass head since I do not like heavily recessed mids. Right now I am running them off a FiiO e10k, and eventually in the future I plan on getting the Little Bear B4-X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back