Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 20, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #6,781 of 8,051
Man, I think I missed the 20% coupon before they were blacklisted by just minutes. Oh well, I'll snag a pair eventually.

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #6,782 of 8,051
My M1060Cs just shipped. Hype.

Looks like they're arriving tomorrow, woot!

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #6,783 of 8,051
So, after listening most of the day, I'd say we have a winner with the M1060C.

I have two comparison cans. For the M1060 showdown, I have M1060 opens with Audeze vegans (no other mods). And for the closed showdown, I have MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed.

Here's the AFC comparison first (M1060 open comparison to come later). In terms of tonal balance, I find the 1060Cs to be a reasonably close match for AFCs. They are both a little on the warm side (which suits me perfectly). However, there is substantially more bass in M1060Cs than in the AFCs, especially in the sub bass, but it seems to be nicely focused. Mids are well present in both. Isolation is quite a bit better in the AFCs but not terrible in the M1060Cs. The key difference for me is soundstage: the M1060Cs win this hands down. Much better sense of depth and 3D immersion than the AFCs. Pretty amazing for a closed can; almost as wide as the M1060 opens. So it's a close call, but I would reach for the M1060Cs before the AFCs.

BTW, I think it's important when reading the opinions here to know something about the listening preferences of the person providing the info. The end-game headphone for me is the LCD3. I find HD800s and Beyer DT1990 pros to be too bright and fatiguing. I value a certain warmth and sweetness and, most importantly, I value soundstage and a coherent sense of immersion. Don't really care too much about whether a set of cans is perfectly neutral etc. as long as it has these features.

Thanks for the initial impressions! This is especially interesting to me because AFC was tempting to me (albeit out of my budget) but I wondered about it not having enough bass for me. The more impressions I see it looks like the more and more likely that I will pick these up someday.

Feb 20, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #6,784 of 8,051
Well it is official, Monoprice did not cancel my order. My $263 free ship no tax M1060C just shipped!!!! I am so excited. Only thing I am worried about now is how it will sound with my Starving Student Tube Amp, regular dynamic headphones sound amazing with the amp, but I think planar benefits more from solid state??? I think I have no idea, well I will find out in due time. I can't wait for these to come in the mail. I am so excited!!!

Feb 21, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #6,785 of 8,051
well two days after my 30 day money back guarantee, my right side jack has failed on my m560's. Time to deal with the rma process. I would have just asked for the money back and put it towards the m1060c's. :triportsad:

Feb 21, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #6,786 of 8,051
Man, I think I missed the 20% coupon before they were blacklisted by just minutes. Oh well, I'll snag a pair eventually.

I missed the 20% discount too, and even worse my 1060c arrived one day after I left on a flight to California. Now, they will sit in my home until March 18th before I can even open the box..... Bummer!!

Feb 21, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #6,787 of 8,051
Got mine at 8am today! Pics later as I'm cramming for a test right now.

Things to note(keep in mind this is first impressions listening for 10min):

They are heavy LOL. Perhaps I'm too used to my HD 6XX. However, they are super comfortable and actually fit my head better than my 6XX. And man these stock pads are amazing.
Build quality is pretty nice. Nice cold metal which doesn't have any sharp edges. Wood seems to be finished well enough.
The case is way too big to be useable lol.
People talked about the bass. It's planar bass for sure. Extends lower than the HD 6XX but less midbass. Don't expect these to be bass cannons though.
Mids are a tiiiiiny bit recessed when compared to the HD 6XX. So basically they're pretty normal. I love my mids and these cans so far are perfectly adequate.
I am on the largest headband setting and it just barely fits. I can extend it past the last setting and it sits a bit better. I expect this to improve as the padding breaks in. Clamp is a good balance between secure and comfortable.
Cable is nice and flexible, although the braiding causes it to have some cable noise.
Isolation leaves a bit to be desired considering it is a closed can. It's kind of like my old CB-1s where it blocks out some noise but if you really pay attention you can still hear stuff around you. A lot harder with music on though of course.

I just looked in the mirror and these are definitely stay at home cans cuz the headband looks absolutely ridiculous on your head LOL.