Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 21, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #6,799 of 8,051
Surely there has to be others out there whose headphones smell like they just came off the assembly line and sprayed a few too many times with chemicals? I am on the other side of my bedroom and I can smell them and the case open.

Also sadly the right 2.5 mm jack on my cable is faulty and needs to be replaced. It keeps cutting out in certain positions so hopefully someone from Monoprice can ship me a replacement cable. I have been waiting to listen to this set of cans.

Feb 21, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #6,800 of 8,051
Can I ask your hat size?
I don't wear hats so I have no idea what my hat size is. I have my HD 6XX set to 9 clicks if that helps at all.

Surely there has to be others out there whose headphones smell like they just came off the assembly line and sprayed a few too many times with chemicals? I am on the other side of my bedroom and I can smell them and the case open.

Also sadly the right 2.5 mm jack on my cable is faulty and needs to be replaced. It keeps cutting out in certain positions so hopefully someone from Monoprice can ship me a replacement cable. I have been waiting to listen to this set of cans.

Yeah they smell factory fresh. I'm also trying to determine if I have channel imbalance of it's just my ears as I think the right channel sounds a bit different from the left channel after returning home to these cans today.

edit: reversing stereo channels moves the voice so I suppose it's just that a majority of my songs have left-leaning voices?

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #6,801 of 8,051
I got mine yesterday. Unfortunately, it came with a blemish on the right cup. :expressionless:

6is32b.jpg

Be sure to inspect the headphones when you receive them.

Feb 23, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #6,802 of 8,051
I'm also trying to determine if I have channel imbalance of it's just my ears as I think the right channel sounds a bit different from the left channel after returning home to these cans today.

edit: reversing stereo channels moves the voice so I suppose it's just that a majority of my songs have left-leaning voices?

Do you have a source that lets you output in MONO rather than stereo to check for imbalance?
Stereo to mono adapter ? ( hmm do they sell those )

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #6,803 of 8,051
Do you have a source that lets you output in MONO rather than stereo to check for imbalance?
Stereo to mono adapter ? ( hmm do they sell those )

I tested the "downmix channels to mono" option in foobar. My ears are shaped a bit differently from each other and my KZ ZS5 v1 also seem a little bit left-leaning. Coincidence? Maybe, but maybe not. I did try reversing stereo channels and it flips...most of the time.

edit: I've sent a RMA request to monoprice because this imbalance is still bugging me. If it bugs me for this long I guess it's not just my ears. I flipped the headphones physically and tested some more and I think my left channel is a bit different than the right.

I have used my M1060Cs for a bit longer today and have some things to note:

I did get a bit of a hotspot on the very top of my head. My head shape does have a bump on top though so that's a bit to be expected. The HD 6XX's headband has an empty spot where this bump is so it's not used to being used for support. Shifting the headband forward or backward every few hours solved this issue for the most part though.
Neck has been just fine with the increase in weight.
Pads do get a bit stuffy and need to be aired out for a few seconds after a few seconds.
Did some gaming and these are indeed awesome. No issues with imaging and soundstage in overwatch and pubg.

I haven't found a need to use any EQ. I personally would rather have headphones sound good out of the box, and these M1060Cs do just that.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #6,804 of 8,051
Now I remember why I liked these so much. If you drive these from Questyle CMA600i(that's what I drove it out of before, and trying it out again), it's a world of difference how M1060 sounds. Hearing this from a different DAC, these do sound different. I guess depending on the DAC, the upper mids can either sound dull or lifted to a good level, that makes a big difference in how these are heard.

CMA600i's DAC section is what makes the sound the way it does. It sounds detailed without treble glare because you can get 7-8k emphasized in sibilance with particular headphones, but you don't with these, and at the same time the CMA600i lifts the upper mids a bit to give it the right flavor from sound depressed there. But depending on the DAC, the upper-mids can sound dull, which was the situation with a DAC/Amp setup other than the CMA600i. With my other headphone, the CMA600i sounds upper-mids lifted or emphasized. This tells me that upper-mids are different for in-built DAC for the CMA600i compared to my other DAC.

I've never experienced so much difference a headphone can make from a DAC from a DAC/Amp source. This is such a dramatic difference. It's like CMA600i is pretty much a perfect source for the M1060. This has got to be the weirdest experience I've ever encountered from trying various gear over the years.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #6,805 of 8,051
I'm on the fence about spending money on a balanced cable. My headphone amp has a true balanced circuitry. I've seen recommendations to use its balanced output for best sound.
Will I hear a significant difference from the stock cable?

Feb 26, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #6,807 of 8,051
I'm on the fence about spending money on a balanced cable. My headphone amp has a true balanced circuitry. I've seen recommendations to use its balanced output for best sound.
Will I hear a significant difference from the stock cable?

If you have a balanced amp, why not try it? 2.5mm balanced should be quite common, so you should be able to find one at a reasonable price. If there is any sound difference, it will be from your balanced than what a cable can provide.

From my Bryston, balanced and SE sounds different. Balanced sounds like ambient sounds are being lifted or perhaps the lower and upper treble frequencies compared to the mids. I like it with live recordings since ambient sounds provides the feel of environment/ambiance.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #6,808 of 8,051
If you have a balanced amp, why not try it? 2.5mm balanced should be quite common, so you should be able to find one at a reasonable price. If there is any sound difference, it will be from your balanced than what a cable can provide.

From my Bryston, balanced and SE sounds different. Balanced sounds like ambient sounds are being lifted or perhaps the lower and upper treble frequencies compared to the mids. I like it with live recordings since ambient sounds provides the feel of environment/ambiance.
2.5mm to 4-pin xlr can be had inexpensively? Everything I've seen has been $70+.

Feb 26, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #6,809 of 8,051
2.5mm to 4-pin xlr can be had inexpensively? Everything I've seen has been $70+.
Here's one for little less.

https://www.amazon.com/Sukira-Hifim...19702139&sr=8-11&keywords=2.5mm+xlr+headphone

If it's too much, you can get one made. I've gotten my balanced cable made by somebody here, but that one if bought online, it's $150+ The connectors are quite expensive as it's not so common.

For that, either I'd commission somebody to make one or if I had soldering skills, I'd just get the parts on my own, and make it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back