Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 20, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #6,766 of 8,051
My M1060Cs arrived this morning. First surprise was how dark the cups are stained...

Will post some more detailed impressions when I've had a few days of listening and burn in.

Really appreciate the photo, was in process of choosing color for a custom cable, good to know I may want to aim for something different. Will see when my 1060Cs arrive how the stain compares.

Feb 20, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #6,767 of 8,051
My M1060Cs arrived this morning. First surprise was how dark the cups are stained...

Will post some more detailed impressions when I've had a few days of listening and burn in.

Wow, I'm not sure how I feel about them being that dark. I'll have to wait and see what my pair looks like when they arrive.

Feb 20, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #6,768 of 8,051
Yeah, they are definitely dark. Not as black as the Ebony TH-X00 but close. Here's a better picture that shows the wood grain.

upload_2018-2-20_13-43-57.png

I am actually really digging the color. Think espresso or dark chocolate. Sophisticated. And the finish is a little more matte than it appears in this picture. But they look super sharp. And first impressions on sound are positive.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #6,769 of 8,051
So I’ve been dying to get my hands on a pair of m1060’s. Should I hold out a little longer and get the closed? I love my m560’s and want bigger now.

Feb 20, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #6,770 of 8,051
Yeah, they are definitely dark. Not as black as the Ebony TH-X00 but close. Here's a better picture that shows the wood grain.

I am actually really digging the color. Think espresso or dark chocolate. Sophisticated. And the finish is a little more matte than it appears in this picture. But they look super sharp. And first impressions on sound are positive.

So is it real wood? If so what kind of wood? If not sure, how can you be sure it is real wood? Kappa

Feb 20, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #6,771 of 8,051
So I’ve been dying to get my hands on a pair of m1060’s. Should I hold out a little longer and get the closed? I love my m560’s and want bigger now.

I'd wait until some more in depth impressions from those who have both the M1060 and M1060C. Though preliminarily, it seems like the M1060C are the ones...

Feb 20, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #6,775 of 8,051
Feb 20, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #6,777 of 8,051
So, after listening most of the day, I'd say we have a winner with the M1060C.

I have two comparison cans. For the M1060 showdown, I have M1060 opens with Audeze vegans (no other mods). And for the closed showdown, I have MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed.

Here's the AFC comparison first (M1060 open comparison to come later). In terms of tonal balance, I find the 1060Cs to be a reasonably close match for AFCs. They are both a little on the warm side (which suits me perfectly). However, there is substantially more bass in M1060Cs than in the AFCs, especially in the sub bass, but it seems to be nicely focused. Mids are well present in both. Isolation is quite a bit better in the AFCs but not terrible in the M1060Cs. The key difference for me is soundstage: the M1060Cs win this hands down. Much better sense of depth and 3D immersion than the AFCs. Pretty amazing for a closed can; almost as wide as the M1060 opens. So it's a close call, but I would reach for the M1060Cs before the AFCs.

BTW, I think it's important when reading the opinions here to know something about the listening preferences of the person providing the info. The end-game headphone for me is the LCD3. I find HD800s and Beyer DT1990 pros to be too bright and fatiguing. I value a certain warmth and sweetness and, most importantly, I value soundstage and a coherent sense of immersion. Don't really care too much about whether a set of cans is perfectly neutral etc. as long as it has these features.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #6,778 of 8,051
So, after listening most of the day, I'd say we have a winner with the M1060C.

I have two comparison cans. For the M1060 showdown, I have M1060 opens with Audeze vegans (no other mods). And for the closed showdown, I have MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed.

Here's the AFC comparison first (M1060 open comparison to come later). In terms of tonal balance, I find the 1060Cs to be a reasonably close match for AFCs. They are both a little on the warm side (which suits me perfectly). However, there is substantially more bass in M1060Cs than in the AFCs, especially in the sub bass, but it seems to be nicely focused. Mids are well present in both. Isolation is quite a bit better in the AFCs but not terrible in the M1060Cs. The key difference for me is soundstage: the M1060Cs win this hands down. Much better sense of depth and 3D immersion than the AFCs. Pretty amazing for a closed can; almost as wide as the M1060 opens. So it's close call, but I would reach for the M1060Cs before AFCs.

BTW, I think it's important when reading the opinions here to know something about the listening preferences of the person providing the info. The end-game headphone for me is the LCD3. I find HD800s and Beyer DT1990 pros to be too bright and fatiguing. I value a certain warmth and sweetness and, most importantly, I value soundstage and a coherent sense of immersion. Don't really care too much about whether a set of cans is perfectly neutral etc. as long as it has these features.

you and me are on the same page. and with the same tastes. can't believe I got this can coming for only $266. lol wow. best deal I have ever gotten on anything I think

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #6,779 of 8,051
you and me are on the same page. and with the same tastes. can't believe I got this can coming for only $266. lol wow. best deal I have ever gotten on anything I think

Yeah, I ordered mine before the 20% off :cry:. But not complaining too much. They are a great value at full price.

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #6,780 of 8,051
I like the look and potential of the 1060C but too many problems trying to order from their site :angry: But I did save myself $352 :grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back