Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 14, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #6,736 of 8,051
This is so funny I'm assuming it an off-handed joke :ksc75smile: but what if I find the M1060 dull and boring? what's the solution then? :o2smile:
BTW, I've heard some modded Grado's that have more apparent bass than the M1060, they just don't go as low as the M1060 but since not many genres really go low the modded Grado's do seem like they have more bass.
If you want uber bass higher then even beats than I suggest the k712 Pro
Is it possible to buy M1060 drivers from somewhere?
I sadly trashed mine =D
I'm note sure about finding them alone but you could create your own driver as fun side project, you can find quite few diy planar headphones on here

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #6,738 of 8,051
Has anyone done a headband mod on m1060’s? I’m considering the m1060c closed back version and I’m wondering if it would be possible to install a Hifiman HE 4xx style headband. The closed back nature makes me want to use these in public, but I’m not really willing to do so with the current headband look. Forgive my vain-ness

Feb 15, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #6,739 of 8,051
Has anyone done a headband mod on m1060’s? I’m considering the m1060c closed back version and I’m wondering if it would be possible to install a Hifiman HE 4xx style headband. The closed back nature makes me want to use these in public, but I’m not really willing to do so with the current headband look. Forgive my vain-ness

I remember seeing awhile back that @Tysun modded his M1060 with a HiFiMan (HE4XX style) headband he got from China. This is what it looks like with the mod.

Monoprice Back Grill V3 with pantyhose covers:

Feb 15, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #6,740 of 8,051
Well guys I guess Monoprice snuck one past us all, I was just browsing their website and it turns out they have also now released the M565C Closed back smaller planar magnetics. I'm really curious to hear some reviews on these as well. Nice looking cans btw.

Lasher

Feb 16, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #6,742 of 8,051
Feb 16, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #6,743 of 8,051
Got the ZMF Suede Eikon and Ori pads in today. In the next week I'll try them out on the 1060 and see how they compare to the Vegan pads.
Did this ever happen? I have been searching for this comparison because the vegan pads are hard to get and I am looking for the next best alternative. If the ZMF Suede is not the second best (if not better) what is recommended?

Feb 16, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #6,744 of 8,051
Feb 16, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #6,745 of 8,051
Almost finished with the headstrap mod, just a few more tweaks needed on a couple of the parts:

i-DxFGP9t-X4.jpg

i-2bvBmPq-X4.jpg

i-WnMrHPQ-X4.jpg

Should have it out on Thingiverse this weekend...

Feb 16, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #6,746 of 8,051
Almost finished with the headstrap mod, just a few more tweaks needed on a couple of the parts:

i-DxFGP9t-X4.jpg

i-2bvBmPq-X4.jpg

i-WnMrHPQ-X4.jpg

Should have it out on Thingiverse this weekend...

Gorgeous!!!

Feb 16, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #6,748 of 8,051
Someone on /r/headphones has got their M1060C. Thought you guys might be interested in case you've missed it.

https://imgur.com/a/weQUm
Been waiting for these to be released since december, jumped on them the moment monoprice enabled sales and they arrived an hour ago. Coming from m40x and HD6XX this is a whole new level of headphone. it's weight alone is intimidating. feels like it weighs 5x that of any previous headphones I've worn but it's comfort is incredibly, and i mean incredibly comfortable on my small head. pads are like actual pillows, I'm in love. Build quality upon first inspection seems exeptional. Sound - I'm in love. I think this is my end game. the bass in these things coming from the HD6XX is just a moving experience. my jaw almost hit the floor. its just so clean and full. I've never heard music sound this "fun" ever. isolation isn't great for my small head though, given the weight they move around a lot when I move my head, something i'll adjust to though as these are my new favourite possession in the world.
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7y0zqr/monolith_m1060c_just_came_in_first_impressions/

Nice to see that they've ditched the wooden rings for metal ones. No more cracking I guess.

edit: there's 20% off for president's day weekend, and these headphones aren't excluded! I've been looking to replace my K553s with a nicer set of closed backs. UGH. IMPULSE BUY NOW.

edit 2: $283.13 after good ol' CA tax with 1-2 business day shipping. Guess I'm giving planars another try.

edit 3: Found another album from another user.
https://imgur.com/a/44rSm
Well you wont be getting cracks on the wood anymore since it's metal now and the 5k ringing is gone! The bass is very present it'll be the first thing you'll notice.

I've had the M1060 for a week in the past, To be honest the open-back ones had more of a wow factor when i tried those on than these (m1060c have recessed midrange / 10khz roll-off which is a thing with closed-back headphones sadly). I don't know own a pair of hd650s but i do own a pair of hd600s. There isn't really problems with the m1060c they're just different to what i'm use to hearing through my hd600 or jbl lsr305 which have a neutral sound compared to m1060c which have more pronounced bass & sub bass.
src: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...ent_on_sale_anyone_getting_a_pair_id/dub6a7a/

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #6,749 of 8,051
With that 20% off discount still working I couldn't help but impulse purchase these. Don't own any closed back headphones or planars...really excited to try these out. Figure if they end up not being for me I can at least get my money back reselling considering the discount. I like some of the feedback that these will be a different listening experience than my HD 6XXs, want to avoid redundancy in my collection. Will be testing these out with the Mimby/Jotunheim combo late next week!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back