Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 10, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #6,706 of 8,051
I ordered a pad mount, fazors, and grille. I think I either leave the stock foam or do paper towel mod.

Also have no idea what pads to get. Don't want to lose any bass. Zmf eiokon looks nice but too expensive. Anyone have recommendations besides vegans?

Also I still need a new and dac because i don't think my 2i2 will cut it. Anyways Rip my wallet.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #6,707 of 8,051
You are about to go full hero. I've been thinking of ways too make my 1060's more like my Fostex T-X0 in comfort on top of the head.

One suggestion, ditch the protruding hardware on the strap mount. Some of us have wide heads and have trouble buying hats *cough cough*.

Maybe three recessed M2.5 nuts on the back of the headstrap mount with countersunk screws on the headstrap side? That way the screws can bite into the leather and become flush so as not to cause hair loss and scalp gouging? The OpenRC guys also use pressed-in metal fittings to great success. Maybe press from the back into a blind hole so they don't pull through on tightening?

Also for print quality look more at your firmware settings for jerk/accel judging from the look of the corners.

Finally, how have you all been dealing with this?

The strap is mostly orientated straight across when on the head, I am going to shorten the hinge part to make it even with the inside edge of the oval strap plate which secures the strap. I originally tried countersunk M2.5 fasteners, but to work it would really need the oval strap plate thickness increased as the countersunk head created too thin of a cross-section, would not trust that configuration it to hold up with use, plus not as easy to print with an upsidedown countersunk hole. I would love to swap the head over to the hinge side, but that is the printbed side and would require an angled cutout pocket to work due to the head being angled in relation to that surface. Personal printing preference - I don't like using support material structures on my prints if at all possible and try to design as such. Can always try it out and see what happens, don't expect it to print out well though. In practice it's easiest to pull the kingpins and attach/remove the strap from the hinges when off the headphone, so orientation of the fasteners doesn't much matter really. I'll think some more on it, plus I'll make a shorter straight version of the hinge as well.

I really haven't messed much with the printer settings since it has material based presets that work well enough. Once I get in the upgrade kit and install the new nozzle I'll get more into tweaking it.

What am I looking at in the picture? Don't understand what's going on it the picture.

Feb 10, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #6,708 of 8,051
You are about to go full hero. I've been thinking of ways too make my 1060's more like my Fostex T-X0 in comfort on top of the head.

One suggestion, ditch the protruding hardware on the strap mount. Some of us have wide heads and have trouble buying hats *cough cough*.

Maybe three recessed M2.5 nuts on the back of the headstrap mount with countersunk screws on the headstrap side? That way the screws can bite into the leather and become flush so as not to cause hair loss and scalp gouging? The OpenRC guys also use pressed-in metal fittings to great success. Maybe press from the back into a blind hole so they don't pull through on tightening?

Also for print quality look more at your firmware settings for jerk/accel judging from the look of the corners.

Finally, how have you all been dealing with this?
That appears to be the fazors without the pad adapters. If you want to attach to the stock pads properly, you'll need to get the "fazor top" to tape or glue onto.

Feb 10, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #6,709 of 8,051
So after spending some time with mh m560's which i love btw, i want to get a new pair of something i can tweak and mod. Should i get the m1060 or a t50rp mk3 set. I want something a little bigger and better then my m560's. M1060's look like fun but the t50rp look like alot more options, or maybe the m1060c's but at 18ohms it seems kinda off.

Feb 10, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #6,710 of 8,051
I like the sound quality a little better on the TX0RP series, but there is something to be said about the much larger driver size on the M1060. Planar magnetics are at the bottom of my preference when it comes to headphone driver types, but if I'm choosing a planar, it's going to be one with a larger diaphragm - really adds something that the smaller diaphragm ones lack, can't tell you exactly what it is though. Probably because it 'moves' more air - if you can call a thin diaphragm tickling the air actually 'moving' it...definitely not like a dynamic driver... LOL

The TX0RP series has been around MUCH longer than the M1060... the M1060 modding is just getting started.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #6,711 of 8,051
The sickness has just started with me. Started with a ad700x for gaming and decided I wanted something more for music and got the m560’s. Now I want to step it up a little on the music side. I listen to everything from daft punk to Aimee Mann to David Bowie to slayer to wu tang ....endless so I’m open to anything that will sound good. I’m saving up for some hd800’s but on the way I want to grab some others

Feb 10, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #6,712 of 8,051
The sickness has just started with me. Started with a ad700x for gaming and decided I wanted something more for music and got the m560’s. Now I want to step it up a little on the music side. I listen to everything from daft punk to Aimee Mann to David Bowie to slayer to wu tang ....endless so I’m open to anything that will sound good. I’m saving up for some hd800’s but on the way I want to grab some others
MrSpeakers aeon flow open is one of the best all rounders period, and they cost under 1k I would highly suggest them over hd800 for an all rounder which seems to be what you're looking for. Don't get me wrong hd800/hd800s are great but not for hip hop, metal or most modern rock.

Feb 11, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #6,714 of 8,051
I tried the M560 cans. The sound was ok. I believe that it was a sound that could grow on me. Unfortunately the quality of the headphones needs work. For some reason I couldn’t fully connect both sides. Connection with the Y cable all the way in on both sides resulted in sound from only one side. To get sound from both sides, one side needed to have the cable in only halfway. This would not have been a problem if the cable didn’t come out so easily in this configuration. I got the same results when I tried an aftermarket cable. So I had to return the headphones. I’m patiently waiting for availability of the M1060c.

Feb 11, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #6,715 of 8,051
Thats horrible man, the build quality on my m560 seems top notch. Everything is is just so solid, only negative thing i could say about them is the stock pads are down right horrible now. I like my mdr-xd500 pads on them but i think i might try the zmf ori pads. I got some dekoni akg style sheep skin pads but they dont fit, just a tad too big so the plastic mounting ring shows. The brainwavz hybrid muffle the sound to much. I want something thats not gonna change the sound too much but keep my ear a little closer to the driver then the xd500 pads with a little larger hole. If i could just get the pads right, the m560's would be the perfect budget planars. I was able to get them for 135 from monoprice so i really cant complain

Feb 11, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #6,716 of 8,051
What headphon amp does everyone like? I have tried straight out of my Korg DSDAc 100m, Cyberdrive Feather, CMOY tin amp and my heavily power supply upgraded Creek OBH-11. They sound full and very impactful with the Creek. So what amp do you like? Also straight out of my Xduoo X10 and Fiio X3 II, good just not impactful.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #6,717 of 8,051
I've tried my M1060's out of an E17k, a Schiit stack (Modi 2U/Vali 2) before I sold it, an iFi Micro iDSD, and a Garage1217 Project Polaris/Topping D30 combo. I really like the iDSD with the M1060, but my hands down favorite is the Project Polaris/D30. I find that the M1060 really like the extra juice.

Feb 11, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #6,718 of 8,051
What headphon amp does everyone like? I have tried straight out of my Korg DSDAc 100m, Cyberdrive Feather, CMOY tin amp and my heavily power supply upgraded Creek OBH-11. They sound full and very impactful with the Creek. So what amp do you like? Also straight out of my Xduoo X10 and Fiio X3 II, good just not impactful.
I use a FiiO E17 Alpen and FiiO E17 Alpen 2. The Alpen 2 has a darker sound but a tad bit more power. I just tried the Schiit Magni 3. I didn’t like it but I think that had more to do with faulty Beyerdynamic headphones that I had to return. I would be willing to give Schiit another try.

Feb 12, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #6,720 of 8,051
I just discovered this yesterday. So disappointed, I thought they had the cracked wood problem solved. I bought these in late November 17 and have also had the oem cable fail at the 3.5mm connector. I've sent them a message. We'll see what my options are. At this point I'd like to let them have them back. I'll accept store credit. So disappointed in the quality issues with these cans.

IMG_0107.jpg
IMG_0106.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back