Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jan 22, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #6,586 of 8,051
25 microns is pretty overkill lol. 50 microns would have probably been enough. Guess you'll have some super nice grilles then haha.

Jan 22, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #6,588 of 8,051
I'm curious if anybody has done fuzzor mod and then changed over to fazor? Reason I'm asking is because I'm curious what the sound differences are as a direct comparison of fuzzor vs. fazor.

Also, is there anybody put ZMF Suede pads on these yet? Mine have been ordered and I'm hoping they work as well as Vegans did for others.

In theory fazors should be more precise in bending sound waves as this is the main reason for this mod to my understanding. It would be very difficult to cut felt peaces in exactly the same size and stick them equally aligned on both sides. Currently I have back side fazors+honeycomb grills, removed foam inserts and felt (fuzzor?) mod on the driver side. Today I'm hoping to pick last printed parts for the driver side and will swap felt with fazor. But I doubt it will make a huge difference, I like sound as it is already. Ordered material for new cable, will do it in upcoming weeks. That will make a bigger change that a new grill :)

Jan 22, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #6,589 of 8,051
In theory fazors should be more precise in bending sound waves as this is the main reason for this mod to my understanding. It would be very difficult to cut felt peaces in exactly the same size and stick them equally aligned on both sides. Currently I have back side fazors+honeycomb grills, removed foam inserts and felt (fuzzor?) mod on the driver side. Today I'm hoping to pick last printed parts for the driver side and will swap felt with fazor. But I doubt it will make a huge difference, I like sound as it is already. Ordered material for new cable, will do it in upcoming weeks. That will make a bigger change that a new grill :)

To be clear, I have already done the fuzzor mod + paper towel...but my fazors arrive today, so I will be switching over. After 2 months with the fuzzor mod, I am looking forward to seeing what/if any differences are there. The paper towel added did help with the tunnel like cavernous sound and it helped boost the treble to a tasteful amount. I have ZMF Suede pads arriving as well as I couldn't get the Audeze Vegans. In addition to that, I have a couple of different types of foams and thicknesses arriving later next week.

The stock sound wasn't horrible and my pair had a very small amount of ringing...so I consider myself lucky. But what does bother me about these headphones the most is the rear damping foam. It creates this cavernous and hollow like sound that I have never experienced on any other headphones (even cheap closed cans). That sound exists no matter what ear pads I have swapped on the headphones. At the moment, I have the ZMF Ori Pads on as the other 14 pairs of different pads didn't sound that great. I am hoping that the different foams I have coming will fix this issue. Taking the foam out got rid of the hollow sound obviously, but it then created a loss of control and the treble became nightmarish. We shall see as I don't want to give up on these cans yet...

Jan 22, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #6,590 of 8,051
Have you got a link, where to order these grills?.

You just need to download vracer's .stl file from thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2492054

Then go to 3dHubs and upload that file as the design you would like them to make.

25 microns is pretty overkill lol. 50 microns would have probably been enough. Guess you'll have some super nice grilles then haha.

Agreed, but it was almost the same cost as the 50 micron, and I figred at 25 I wouldn't need to go with the vapor smoothing.

Jan 22, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #6,592 of 8,051
I've had mine since X-Mas and I do hear shrillness on certain songs that I am guessing comes from reflections off the metal grill primarily and possibly the ear-side surfaces to a lesser extent. I know DMS found that removing the metal grills had the biggest impact on reducing the 5k peak in his measurements. So I'm ready to try some basic inexpensive mods starting with replacing the metal grills and probably the fuzzer mod as well. A couple questions on this:
  1. If I am ordering the VRacer grills from a 3D printer (like 3dHubs), will PLA or ABS be sufficient, and which would be better? (At this point I can't see spending another $50+ dollars for the resin option unless other options won't work for some reason).
  2. Is the paper-towel mod still recommended with new grills or was that specifically for the stock grills (I imagine it would help reduce the metallic reflections I think I might be hearing)?
  3. Has anyone who has tried the Fuzzor and Fazor mods found one to be better at taming the "ringing" and/or upper-mid shrillness? I think some found the Fuzzor mod better for that while the Fazor mod added clarity and soundstage?
Thanks for any advice on this!!! :)

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #6,593 of 8,051
I've had mine since X-Mas and I do hear shrillness on certain songs that I am guessing comes from reflections off the metal grill primarily and possibly the ear-side surfaces to a lesser extent. I know DMS found that removing the metal grills had the biggest impact on reducing the 5k peak in his measurements. So I'm ready to try some basic inexpensive mods starting with replacing the metal grills and probably the fuzzer mod as well. A couple questions on this:
  1. If I am ordering the VRacer grills from a 3D printer (like 3dHubs), will PLA or ABS be sufficient, and which would be better? (At this point I can't see spending another $50+ dollars for the resin option unless other options won't work for some reason).
  2. Is the paper-towel mod still recommended with new grills or was that specifically for the stock grills (I imagine it would help reduce the metallic reflections I think I might be hearing)?
  3. Has anyone who has tried the Fuzzor and Fazor mods found one to be better at taming the "ringing" and/or upper-mid shrillness? I think some found the Fuzzor mod better for that while the Fazor mod added clarity and soundstage?

PLA should be good enough unless you like leaving your headphones in direct sunlight. All the ones I print are in PLA and I don't think there have been any issues.

Jan 22, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #6,594 of 8,051
PLA should be good enough unless you like leaving your headphones in direct sunlight. All the ones I print are in PLA and I don't think there have been any issues.

Awesome! Are you still taking orders for the vRacer grills? If so, let me know how to place an order -- I'd prefer to give you my business!

Jan 22, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #6,596 of 8,051
Add me to the list please.

Awesome! Are you still taking orders for the vRacer grills? If so, let me know how to place an order -- I'd prefer to give you my business!

Just send me a PM! All pricing information can be found at the link in my signature. They are listed as Grille-B there.

Jan 22, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #6,597 of 8,051

PLA is all I've used to print them since designing them... it's resilient and good enough with heat resistance as long as you keep it under 140°F, ABS will take more heat 176°F... once you get above those temperatures is when you will start losing strength of the material. I will say the woodfill PLA is a pain to print and work with, an interesting look though...

I'm about to mod my printer so I can use tougher materials without any issue though... would like to start printing with carbon fiber embedded materials. MatterHackers NylonX is rated at up to a 302 degree operational temp...

I believe the paper towel is to help with bass/mids, no matter the grille...like changing the density of the foam.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #6,598 of 8,051
So I managed to mount driver side fazors yesterday. And I can say this is a very recommended mod. I have HD800 for comparison so prior this mod there was a big difference switching back to M1060 in resolution, imaging, clarity. After this mod I cannot say that the difference is so great. Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing HD800 to M1060, they are both very different. This mod gave a much better imaging. Instrument separation was ok prior it as well, but right now I can tell with better accuracy where it is placed. Sound is less muffled, clearer. Below are several images of the process and the result. I really enjoy the huge, 3D sound coming from these headphones, I'm keeping them :) But still I cannot listen to classical music with those, something is missing. The same experience was with Hifiman Edition X, maybe this is a planar-thing. Or my preference.

Ps. I do not seem to be able to upload images. Nor as attachments, nor as online (dropbox) links.
20180105_171331.jpg

20180105_181913.jpg

Attachments

• 20180122_202515.jpg
    20180122_202515.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20180122_200258.jpg
    20180122_200258.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20180122_195832.jpg
    20180122_195832.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20180105_182109.jpg
    20180105_182109.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20180105_181913.jpg
    20180105_181913.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20180105_171331.jpg
    20180105_171331.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #6,599 of 8,051
So I managed to mount driver side fazors yesterday. And I can say this is a very recommended mod. I have HD800 for comparison so prior this mod there was a big difference switching back to M1060 in resolution, imaging, clarity. After this mod I cannot say that the difference is so great. Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing HD800 to M1060, they are both very different. This mod gave a much better imaging. Instrument separation was ok prior it as well, but right now I can tell with better accuracy where it is placed. Sound is less muffled, clearer. Below are several images of the process and the result. I really enjoy the huge, 3D sound coming from these headphones, I'm keeping them :) But still I cannot listen to classical music with those, something is missing. The same experience was with Hifiman Edition X, maybe this is a planar-thing. Or my preference.

Ps. I do not seem to be able to upload images. Nor as attachments, nor as online (dropbox) links.
20180105_171331.jpg

20180105_181913.jpg

got your images for u

_gtkA80fooDd_EyjbDyg_YaRk1czUOSf9NynOEHS980

3QtR3BlmNz6wS0bR2nTDJ8uq-YQ_TsKcWazfigAoDlA

Jan 23, 2018 at 6:22 AM Post #6,600 of 8,051
So some first impressions of the swap from fuzzor to fazor...the hollow cavernous sound has been cleared up greatly. Today I receive the ZMF Suede pads, so once I mount those, I will give my 1st impressions of the sound. I am hoping that with the damping foam I am receiving next week, that this will be the finishing touches needed to make these cans listenable to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back