Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jan 23, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #6,601 of 8,051
So I managed to mount driver side fazors yesterday.
20180105_171331.jpg

20180105_181913.jpg

Images still don't seem to be working, did you use the v3 or v4.1 fazors?

Jan 23, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #6,602 of 8,051
I am curious as well.. and would like to see the pics....

Jan 23, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #6,603 of 8,051
Hey guys, kinda a noob here. I just purchased some m560 and Im having a few issues. I really dont like the ear pads at all. These are more on ear then over headphone. I think they made a new revision of these or something cause they are nothing like the reviews ive seen.
Took some pics to show you guys to see if its just me or are they different.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uomZj7NVx302Ojyv2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/GXLlLJXyxhbIg43W2
gD1zftDKYwg3yYyp1

PkWMPshRMEktS8Wd2

There is felt on the headphone side of the cans so my double sided tape wont stick to it. I got some sony mdr 500 pads to put on them and they just fall off.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #6,604 of 8,051
Hey guys, kinda a noob here. I just purchased some m560 and Im having a few issues. I really dont like the ear pads at all. These are more on ear then over headphone. I think they made a new revision of these or something cause they are nothing like the reviews ive seen.
Took some pics to show you guys to see if its just me or are they different.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uomZj7NVx302Ojyv2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/GXLlLJXyxhbIg43W2
gD1zftDKYwg3yYyp1

PkWMPshRMEktS8Wd2

There is felt on the headphone side of the cans so my double sided tape wont stick to it. I got some sony mdr 500 pads to put on them and they just fall off.
Find the outside diameter of the pads and do a search for pads that are close in size: usually 100mm or 110mm are 2 of the more common ones.

Jan 24, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #6,605 of 8,051
Images still don't seem to be working, did you use the v3 or v4.1 fazors?

Ok, next try, hopefully this will work, link is below. I've used fazor pad V4.1 (but had to cut the "flaps" since adapter opening was rectangular) and fazor top 106mm V4. I wanted it to cover the whole driver and smaller in diameter (100 mm) do not cover it. There are later uploaded designs named RF1060 MKI, MKIII, SF1060 MKI, but they seem thick and diameter is unclear. So I chose these. And I do not think RF1060 (rear fazor?) would fit, there are screws and wires in the back of the driver. Has anyone tried these?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i5yv2u8lzu11xif/AAAZaFWxNlzL7kBCIS7-tVrda?dl=0

Jan 24, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #6,606 of 8,051
Find the outside diameter of the pads and do a search for pads that are close in size: usually 100mm or 110mm are 2 of the more common ones.

I have the exact same problem. I feel the old stock pads would sound better, with more room. These new stock pads with the tiny opening don't sound too bad though and they are not too uncomfortable, but with bigger pads there would probably be more soundstage? mm I wish they had replacement pad options since they have the magnets.

Jan 24, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #6,607 of 8,051
Will it void my warranty if I pull the felt off the headphone side so I can attach the double sided tape. I have plenty of ear pads here but nothing seems to stick to the felt.

Any one here have a set of original m560 ear pads they are willing to sell? These new ones are horrible. Monoprice should really update there page to show the new ones if thats what they are gonna sell.

Jan 24, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #6,609 of 8,051
So after 2 days of listening to my M1060's with front fazor and ZMF Suede Pads, I have to say the change is extremely positive. I am still getting a tad bit of ringing, but I am still waiting on my rear damping foams to arrive. For anybody that isn't sure about what pads to use in lieu of Audeze Vegan Pads, the ZMF Suede Pads sound great in my humble opinion (YMMV). There is a slight treble increase, but only due to clarity, so I can deal with this (and I am treble sensitive saying this). :)

Jan 24, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #6,610 of 8,051
So after 2 days of listening to my M1060's with front fazor and ZMF Suede Pads, I have to say the change is extremely positive. I am still getting a tad bit of ringing, but I am still waiting on my rear damping foams to arrive. For anybody that isn't sure about what pads to use in lieu of Audeze Vegan Pads, the ZMF Suede Pads sound great in my humble opinion (YMMV). There is a slight treble increase, but only due to clarity, so I can deal with this (and I am treble sensitive saying this). :)

Which ZMF suede pad are you using? I just got in the ZMF Ori suede for my TH-X00PH with Palo Santo cups... very much like it - increased detail and high, yet smoother sounding. Thinking of trying the MrSpeakers Alpha pads since they have mostly similar dimensions to the Audeze microsuede pads.

Jan 24, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #6,611 of 8,051
Which ZMF suede pad are you using? I just got in the ZMF Ori suede for my TH-X00PH with Palo Santo cups... very much like it - increased detail and high, yet smoother sounding. Thinking of trying the MrSpeakers Alpha pads since they have mostly similar dimensions to the Audeze microsuede pads.

I purchased the ZMF Suede Eikon pads. There is a tiny bit of overlap, but I mounted them decently with double sided 3m wall mount tape. I also was able to get a 3d print of your Grills, so that helped as well.

Jan 24, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #6,612 of 8,051
Hmm... i returned my m1060 about a month ago without trying them(facepalm) from all the negative comments about them on headphone hq telling me to just return. Now I have HD650s. Have i missed out?
It depends on what you are looking for, for me the M1060 was not my cup of tea in comparison to other headphones that I have which includes a HD650 and HD6XX, both of which are better than the M1060 for my choice of genres, listening level and preferred sound signature. It does help that I have a BH Crack which is one of the better amps for the HD660/6XX. FWIW I also have a LCD-2f, HE400, 400i, 560 planar, SR009 and SRD-34 and a few others so there was nothing the M1060 did better than any of my other headphones and I also felt that the M1060 was rather boring sounding, granted these were not mine and complete stock.

Jan 24, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #6,613 of 8,051
Hmm... i returned my m1060 about a month ago without trying them(facepalm) from all the negative comments about them on headphone hq telling me to just return. Now I have HD650s. Have i missed out?

I have both (well I have the HD6XX) and I prefer the Sennheisers.

The M1060 is good, but compared to the HD6XX the only thing it does better is having more bass. I think bass on the HD6XX was just as deep, slightly less loud, but clearer. They seemed clearer to me throughout the spectrum.

I just got my Hifiman HE560 and my first impressions are that it's a step above the both headphones. It's the best of the both worlds and then some.

That said, if you read this entire thread, you'll find a bunch of people who prefer the M1060 over both the HD6XX and Hifiman HE560.

I can't believe you had them without even trying them, dude... I think you need to turn in your head-fi card.

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #6,614 of 8,051
Ok, next try, hopefully this will work, link is below. I've used fazor pad V4.1 (but had to cut the "flaps" since adapter opening was rectangular) and fazor top 106mm V4. I wanted it to cover the whole driver and smaller in diameter (100 mm) do not cover it. There are later uploaded designs named RF1060 MKI, MKIII, SF1060 MKI, but they seem thick and diameter is unclear. So I chose these. And I do not think RF1060 (rear fazor?) would fit, there are screws and wires in the back of the driver. Has anyone tried these?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i5yv2u8lzu11xif/AAAZaFWxNlzL7kBCIS7-tVrda?dl=0

With the rear grill side) fazors, how did you attach them? I assume some type of double stick tape, but did you put tape under each fazor "vane" ... or just edges I am curious because I would like to secure them so that there is no chance of vibration or resonances. Same question with the pad side? It seems some have just used tape under the "wings". Does that allow for good contact with the flat part of each vane and the magnet. Same concerns here. I would like no chance of unwanted vibrations, and to ensure smooth air flow without gaps to add turbulence.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #6,615 of 8,051
Ok.. Did my first mod by replacing the grills with Vracers design.

What a great improvement. It gets rid of any "distantness" to the sound that may have been there. At this point I don't know that I'll bother doing any other mods. This was awesome.

Only problem is that the "transparent" plastic is more like a frosty white. I may end up painting them at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back