Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jan 25, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #6,616 of 8,051
With the rear grill side) fazors, how did you attach them? I assume some type of double stick tape, but did you put tape under each fazor "vane" ... or just edges I am curious because I would like to secure them so that there is no chance of vibration or resonances. Same question with the pad side? It seems some have just used tape under the "wings". Does that allow for good contact with the flat part of each vane and the magnet. Same concerns here. I would like no chance of unwanted vibrations, and to ensure smooth air flow without gaps to add turbulence.

For both rear and driver side fazors I've used thin double-sided tape. I put the tape around the perimeter of the fazor and on every second "vane", it stays in place and I did not experience any vibrations/distortions. After removing felt strips there was sticky stuff left on the driver metal grills, spent quite some time removing it so there would be no gaps when a new fazor is mounted. Fazor is sticking out a bit and pads do not hold in place as securely as without fazor though. I've used new layer of double-sided tape, but still can see gaps between pad and headphone appearing after some time. It is not so bad that they would come off, but I would like them to be more securely held in place. Maybe when I'll get new pads I'll use stronger tape.

Jan 25, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #6,617 of 8,051
I've used new layer of double-sided tape, but still can see gaps between pad and headphone appearing after some time. It is not so bad that they would come off, but I would like them to be more securely held in place. Maybe when I'll get new pads I'll use stronger tape.

If you can find this where you are, they might be better for mounting pads around the fazor thickness. This sort of mounting tape is very popular with computer modders because of how sticky it is. It is also quite thick which would solve that issue.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Scotch-1-in-x-5-ft-Two-Sided-Tape/50053419

Thin double sided tape is recommended for fazors as stated before though, so don't use this to mount fazors. You could try but I don't think it would be anywhere near ideal.

Jan 25, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #6,618 of 8,051
If you can find this where you are, they might be better for mounting pads around the fazor thickness. This sort of mounting tape is very popular with computer modders because of how sticky it is. It is also quite thick which would solve that issue.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Scotch-1-in-x-5-ft-Two-Sided-Tape/50053419

Thin double sided tape is recommended for fazors as stated before though, so don't use this to mount fazors. You could try but I don't think it would be anywhere near ideal.

Thanks, I'll look it up. I think I've used something similar when fixing my car molding.

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #6,619 of 8,051
Monoprice said my set of m560's were a fluke and the pads were wrong on them. The had me return them for another set, hopefully the next ones wont be the same.

Jan 25, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #6,620 of 8,051
For both rear and driver side fazors I've used thin double-sided tape. I put the tape around the perimeter of the fazor and on every second "vane", it stays in place and I did not experience any vibrations/distortions. After removing felt strips there was sticky stuff left on the driver metal grills, spent quite some time removing it so there would be no gaps when a new fazor is mounted. Fazor is sticking out a bit and pads do not hold in place as securely as without fazor though. I've used new layer of double-sided tape, but still can see gaps between pad and headphone appearing after some time. It is not so bad that they would come off, but I would like them to be more securely held in place. Maybe when I'll get new pads I'll use stronger tape.
Thanks for the Info @Kulgrinda.
One day I need to force myself to get the Mods done. I bought the Vegan pads immediately when I got mine (from the first V2 batch). I have several sets of Fazors at this point. (Different designs from different printers with different layering sizes).
I just need to get the stuff installed.

Jan 26, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #6,623 of 8,051
So after i got back in touch with monoprice after shipping my m560's back to them, they said oh its a production change and thats how they all are now. They wont ship me new ones till they get mine and they are just gonna ship me and identical set back. The 560's aren't what the reviews say anymore. I told them they need to update there product page to show the correct headphones or they are gonna have alot of issues. So now I either need to void my warranty and mod them so double sided mounting tape will stick to the grill side or find some kind of mounting tape that will stick to felt but still be removable is something ever happens. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #6,625 of 8,051
Assembled my 3d printer yesterday. Prints three and four were relevant.

20180127_234157.jpg 20180127_235516.jpg 20180128_083303.jpg

Tiny bit of cleanup needed on the inner corners of the fazors but that was about it.

Attachments

• 20180127_235516.jpg
    20180127_235516.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Jan 28, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #6,627 of 8,051
I have had my M1060s for a while now and I am very pleased with them.
However, this might sound stupid(because it prob is) but if there is any 5k ringing how do I notice it?
For anyone who heard this 5k ringing, was there like no question about the ringing and it drove you insane?
Or was it hard to notice and you had to pay close attention.

Jan 28, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #6,629 of 8,051
nice! i have sennheiser 650s but i was going to get the m1060s, sigh... im guessing the hd650s are still better than m1060s even with modding

Some feel that way, and yet others like myself think even the unmodded M1060 are better than the HD650. This hobby is super subjective, and you should really give the M1060 a listen to know if you find them or the Senns better.

Jan 28, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #6,630 of 8,051
I have had my M1060s for a while now and I am very pleased with them.
However, this might sound stupid(because it prob is) but if there is any 5k ringing how do I notice it?
For anyone who heard this 5k ringing, was there like no question about the ringing and it drove you insane?
Or was it hard to notice and you had to pay close attention.

Once you listen to 5k on a tone generator and train your hearing for it, you will probably notice then. Most people say you wont hear it if youre not listening to it, or possibly due to inexperience

HERE is a great site for all different kinds of headphone tests for your M1060.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back