Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Aug 16, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #5,251 of 8,051
I don't know anything about 3D printing. How much does it cost to make a set of these grills? Once you nail down the design, is there a chance you would sell these? They are very cool looking!

Well I'm just getting started with 3D printing, but material costs aren't too bad: spools will normally run $20ish to $50ish and 500g to 1kg depending on material. The silver PLA 1kg spool I'm using to get the hang of this costs about $23, so the two printed pieces I just did would have a total material cost of $1.05....final revision will be less material and printed at maximum quality. I also have a spool of silver ABS (1kg spool for $30) and PLA Woodfill material (600g spool for $36). I really don't want to get into a business at this point but would be more than willing to work with any forum member if they want a custom design would just want compensation for shipping costs. Want to keep this a hobby. I will put up the final 3D model when done so anyone can print it out or have it printed by an online printing site.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #5,252 of 8,051
Well I'm just getting started with 3D printing, but material cost aren't too bad: spools will normally run $20ish to $50ish and 500g to 1kg depending on material. The silver PLA 1kg spool I'm using to get the hang of this costs about $23, so the two printed pieces I just did would have a total material cost of $1.05....final revision will be less material and printed at maximum quality. I also have a spool of silver ABS (1kg spool for $30) and PLA Woodfill material (600g spool for $36). I really don't want to get into a business at this point but would be more than willing to work with any forum member if they want a custom design would just want compensation for shipping costs. Want to keep this a hobby. I will put up the final 3D model when done so anyone can print it out or have it printed by an online printing site.

Excellent! I hope you can create something really nice. Love the design you have already. Reducing weight would be great. I'll be watching your progress for sure!

Aug 16, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #5,253 of 8,051
Hey there. I know this is off topic and I apologize, but I know there is a lot of overlap between this and the Fostex community.

My cat ate the external tiny orange wire that goes between the left and right ear drivers on my T50RP MK3. So, I was thinking of converting the headphones to use the same kind of plugs as the M1060 - 2x 2.5mm jacks.

I'm having a hard time finding some that close on the outside. On my other headphones where I installed a 3.5mm jack, I found some that screw on from the outside to keep it in place. This is nice because it covers my imperfect drill job, and looks decent enough, and holds it in place. Win/Win. :)

So, does anyone know where to get a pair of 2.5mm jacks that can be screwed into place?

Thanks!

Aug 16, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #5,254 of 8,051
Well I'm just getting started with 3D printing, but material costs aren't too bad: spools will normally run $20ish to $50ish and 500g to 1kg depending on material. The silver PLA 1kg spool I'm using to get the hang of this costs about $23, so the two printed pieces I just did would have a total material cost of $1.05....final revision will be less material and printed at maximum quality. I also have a spool of silver ABS (1kg spool for $30) and PLA Woodfill material (600g spool for $36). I really don't want to get into a business at this point but would be more than willing to work with any forum member if they want a custom design would just want compensation for shipping costs. Want to keep this a hobby. I will put up the final 3D model when done so anyone can print it out or have it printed by an online printing site.

Awesome. I hope your custom outer grills help with reducing cup resonance. I had discord discussions with a few people about the M1060 and specifically about the jittery/noisiness in its freq response curve.

unknown.png

As you can see above, on the M1060 this neurotic jitteriness starts at 1 KHz with a ton around 5k and extends through its treble response.

unknown.png

On the E-Mu Teak, as an example of normalness, this jitteriness starts around 10 KHz, which is much more expected.

This jitteriness is a result of pad/cup and ear canal resonance. Ear canals don't change, so since the jitter starts so much earlier in the M1060, it's symptomatic of the fact that the pad/cups of the M1060 are too echo-y and lacks appropriate dampening. The stock pads themselves seem to hit resonance frequency at around 5 KHz, which is why replacing them with some other pads seem to do the most to smooth the 5 KHz insanity.

But really, my hypothesis is that the entire cup design is effed. The metal grill behind the pad (which is why fuzzor helps a bit), the metal grill on the outside of the pad, the WOOD, the outter grill screwed against the wood... all of it is undamped and super reflective. I'm 90% convinced all this echoing in the cups caused by the metal grills, the stock pads, the wood, etc. is what's holding the M1060 back from being a good buy at $300.

If you take a look at, say, the ZMF Eikon (https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/zmf-eikon-sealed-around-ear-headphones), you'll see how they try to maximize dampening in order for the drivers to communicate smoother sound. I hope Monoprice recognizes this critical flaw in cup design and comes out with a revision three.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #5,255 of 8,051
Hey there. I know this is off topic and I apologize, but I know there is a lot of overlap between this and the Fostex community.

My cat ate the external tiny orange wire that goes between the left and right ear drivers on my T50RP MK3. So, I was thinking of converting the headphones to use the same kind of plugs as the M1060 - 2x 2.5mm jacks.

I'm having a hard time finding some that close on the outside. On my other headphones where I installed a 3.5mm jack, I found some that screw on from the outside to keep it in place. This is nice because it covers my imperfect drill job, and looks decent enough, and holds it in place. Win/Win. :)

So, does anyone know where to get a pair of 2.5mm jacks that can be screwed into place?

Thanks!
Are you replacing the existing jack in the left cup with the 2.5mm female jack and adding a 2.5mm jack in the right cup?

Aug 16, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #5,256 of 8,051
Awesome. I hope your custom outer grills help with reducing cup resonance. I had discord discussions with a few people about the M1060 and specifically about the jittery/noisiness in its freq response curve.

unknown.png

As you can see above, on the M1060 this neurotic jitteriness starts at 1 KHz with a ton around 5k and extends through its treble response.

unknown.png

On the E-Mu Teak, as an example of normalness, this jitteriness starts around 10 KHz, which is much more expected.

This jitteriness is a result of pad/cup and ear canal resonance. Ear canals don't change, so since the jitter starts so much earlier in the M1060, it's symptomatic of the fact that the pad/cups of the M1060 are too echo-y and lacks appropriate dampening. The stock pads themselves seem to hit resonance frequency at around 5 KHz, which is why replacing them with some other pads seem to do the most to smooth the 5 KHz insanity.

But really, my hypothesis is that the entire cup design is effed. The metal grill behind the pad (which is why fuzzor helps a bit), the metal grill on the outside of the pad, the WOOD, the outter grill screwed against the wood... all of it is undamped and super reflective. I'm 90% convinced all this echoing in the cups caused by the metal grills, the stock pads, the wood, etc. is what's holding the M1060 back from being a good buy at $300.

If you take a look at, say, the ZMF Eikon (https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/zmf-eikon-sealed-around-ear-headphones), you'll see how they try to maximize dampening in order for the drivers to communicate smoother sound. I hope Monoprice recognizes this critical flaw in cup design and comes out with a revision three.

I totally agree, I've got no idea why they chose that grill specifically, I plan on doing the fuzzor mod in the back, as well as getting a machine shopped grill similar to the HE-1000, for a very open design.

I recently received the ZMF Eikon pads and expect to do some more critical listening this weekend. I'll post an impression then but from a comfort stand point I can say that the Audeze vegan pads are hands down the most comfortable from all of my headphones.

Can't wait for the impressions, My vegan pads just came in the mail. Going do the fuzzor mod this weekend

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #5,257 of 8,051
Well I decided to give the Fuzzor mod a try... Listening to them now.
_DSC0804.jpg

Aug 16, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #5,259 of 8,051
I totally agree, I've got no idea why they chose that grill specifically, I plan on doing the fuzzor mod in the back, as well as getting a machine shopped grill similar to the HE-1000, for a very open design.

Can't wait for the impressions, My vegan pads just came in the mail. Going do the fuzzor mod this weekend

Agreed. I wonder how much covering more surfaces with felt would do to help with this. Maybe the inside/outside ring? Full fuzzor on the outside? And so on.

Edit: To be clear, I mean front/back, not to cover the cosmetic wood on the outside. :)

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #5,260 of 8,051
One side of Revision 2 grille has been printed. Here are the weight specs:

Stock = 15.35g
Revision 1 = 22.83g
Revision 2 = 12.38g SUCCESS!

Currently printing the second side now, at least the print time is much reduced too, revision 1 was 3 hours and 22minutes, revision 2 is 1 hour 59 minutes...

And now for your enjoyment, version 2 versus version 1:

Front, Rev 1 left and Rev 2 right
i-7PgwvvG-X3.jpg

Rear, Rev 1 left and Rev 2 right
i-p6bxLTV-X3.jpg

Mounted, Rev 1 left and Rev 2 right
i-7ZBvT2v.jpg

Profile, Rev 2 left and Rev 1 right
i-spPwBpX.jpg

i-HbJ97SX.jpg

I'm more than pleased with it, the only thing I can think of maybe changing is to knife edge the bottom side of the honeycomb area, but I don't see a need for that, the surfaces are MUCH thinner than the ones of the stock grille. I guess next step for tomorrow is to print one at maximum printer resolution and see how that affects the weight...

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #5,261 of 8,051
The grilles are looking awesome! From these two versions have you had any notable difference in sound vs stock?

Aug 17, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #5,262 of 8,051
The grilles are looking awesome! From these two versions have you had any notable difference in sound vs stock?

Nothing really obvious in sound differences I that I've really noticed, though seems like these new ones sound a little different, maybe smoother? It's hard to pinpoint what exactly, but Version 2 does seems a little different in sound somehow. Really hard to tell when you only have one pair of headphones and can't directly compare them.... I really need a second pair of M1060's...

Aug 17, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #5,263 of 8,051
Well I decided to give the Fuzzor mod a try... Listening to them now.
it amazes me how some of you guys does such a clean job on this fuzzor mod, especially this one in the picture

it looks like a rectangular sheet of felt with cut out slits?

I had to lay the felt down one strip at a time, and the end result was Frankenstein compared to this...

Aug 17, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #5,264 of 8,051
@macky112

I used a Cricut machine to cut this after doing a design in photoshop.

Aug 17, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #5,265 of 8,051
@macky112

I used a Cricut machine to cut this after doing a design in photoshop.

Would you be willing to share that .psd for others to follow your lead?

I was planning on designing the outline in CAD and then overlaying onto the felt before cutting out with an exacto knife...hadn't thought of going the cricut route (family members are avid scrapbookers and have just the machine to do it)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back