Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jul 28, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #5,026 of 8,051
A while back in this thread I posted this:

Actually, just a few weeks ago Walmart was selling the HE-560 brand new for $400 (it was posted in the deals thread on here). Pretty solid price for sure.

I gave some comparison impressions earlier in this thread, but I did take my vegan modded M1060's to directly compare against the HE-560 at my local Hifiman dealer. I listened to both extensively on a Moon Audio 430HA dac/amp which should be pretty neutral. I know this goes against what others are saying, but I would personally take my M1060's over the HE-560's at any given price. I also don't know if my M1060's are just very different than @LCMusicLover's pair, but the bass was night and day different between the 2 headphones. My M1060 also never had a 5k ringing problem (stock or modded) and has a ton of bass (which some others didn't find in their pairs). To me, the HE-560 feels like a planar version of HD800 (which I own). They feel quite neutral with maybe a slight tilt toward bright, but are very detailed, resolving, and a bit analytical. I also felt like there was something slightly off about the treble, but not sure exactly what. But the bass on my modded M1060 slams and is much thicker and warmer than the HE-560. While the HE-560 feels closer to HD800, the M1060 feels closer to HD650. So the difference in warmth and bass between HD800 and HD650 is how different HE-560 and M1060 feels.

I actually think the 2 headphones can complement each other well. The M1060 is more of a "fun" headphone. It isn't super detailed or precise to me, and maybe a little loose in the bass, but it is absolutely a joy for high energy, bass emphasized music like hip hop, electronic, and modern pop. It also has a big soundstage with good instrument separation and air that gives it a really big sound. But I would probably prefer to listen to more natural instrument genres on the HE-560 for it's resolution and more neutral tonal balance.

@givemetacos Actually, it might be ears, rather than cans which are different. I'm 61, so it's very possible that your ears hear a lot of stuff mine don't. On the other hand, you've got modded 1060s, while mine are stock. I'm looking forward to hearing how the mods affect the 1060 sound (once my pads get here). Except for the Bass stuff what you say about the comparison between the two is consistent with what I've hears/said.

Jul 28, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #5,027 of 8,051
A while back in this thread I posted this:

Actually, just a few weeks ago Walmart was selling the HE-560 brand new for $400 (it was posted in the deals thread on here). Pretty solid price for sure.

I gave some comparison impressions earlier in this thread, but I did take my vegan modded M1060's to directly compare against the HE-560 at my local Hifiman dealer. I listened to both extensively on a Moon Audio 430HA dac/amp which should be pretty neutral. I know this goes against what others are saying, but I would personally take my M1060's over the HE-560's at any given price. I also don't know if my M1060's are just very different than @LCMusicLover's pair, but the bass was night and day different between the 2 headphones. My M1060 also never had a 5k ringing problem (stock or modded) and has a ton of bass (which some others didn't find in their pairs). To me, the HE-560 feels like a planar version of HD800 (which I own). They feel quite neutral with maybe a slight tilt toward bright, but are very detailed, resolving, and a bit analytical. I also felt like there was something slightly off about the treble, but not sure exactly what. But the bass on my modded M1060 slams and is much thicker and warmer than the HE-560. While the HE-560 feels closer to HD800, the M1060 feels closer to HD650. So the difference in warmth and bass between HD800 and HD650 is how different HE-560 and M1060 feels.

I actually think the 2 headphones can complement each other well. The M1060 is more of a "fun" headphone. It isn't super detailed or precise to me, and maybe a little loose in the bass, but it is absolutely a joy for high energy, bass emphasized music like hip hop, electronic, and modern pop. It also has a big soundstage with good instrument separation and air that gives it a really big sound. But I would probably prefer to listen to more natural instrument genres on the HE-560 for it's resolution and more neutral tonal balance.

I totally missed this post, probably hadn't refreshed the page. Thanks for sharing your impressions, I really appreciate it. From your description I don't think they'll be for me since I find the HD650 a bit too warm and the bass too loose on them (I do like them but I'd put not only the HE560 but also the HD700, HE400i and X2's over them for my preferences). Fwiw I like the bass on both the HD700 and HE560 a lot and the best bass I've ever heard are from the HE-6. I do keep the HD650 around for their lovely midrange. What about the HD650 vs the M1060 then? Id they've got a equally lovely midrange with better extension on both ends they could probably replace those for me.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #5,028 of 8,051
I totally missed this post, probably hadn't refreshed the page. Thanks for sharing your impressions, I really appreciate it. From your description I don't think they'll be for me since I find the HD650 a bit too warm and the bass too loose on them (I do like them but I'd put not only the HE560 but also the HD700, HE400i and X2's over them for my preferences). Fwiw I like the bass on both the HD700 and HE560 a lot and the best bass I've ever heard are from the HE-6. I do keep the HD650 around for their lovely midrange. What about the HD650 vs the M1060 then? Id they've got a equally lovely midrange with better extension on both ends they could probably replace those for me.

Hmm yeah the M1060 might fall in a weird place for you. So stock I find them to be fairly neutral, but maybe a tad on the warmer side rather than brighter side. But the mids felt a little off and sometimes got a little shouty. I definitely think the HD650 mids are much more natural. The vegan pads warmed the M1060s a bit and cleaned up the mids, but they are still not as warm as HD650. The HD650 has that mid-bass hump that gives it a thick and bloomy body which is what make it feel warm to me. The M1060's bass is more punchy and faster, but isn't as thick and lingering. But I still feel its presence, actually very similar to how I felt about the HE-400i's bass. The M1060 has a wider soundstage and more treble extension than HD650 so it feels like a "bigger" sound and not as laid back. It is like listening to a rock concert in a big stadium, whereas HD650's small and intimate soundstage feels like listening to a small acoustic band in a local club.

To be honest, if I were in your position I would probably skip the M1060, sell off some of your other similar mid-fi cans, and just get a TOTL headphone like HD800, LCD-X, HE-6, Eikon, Ether, Stax, etc.

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #5,029 of 8,051
Just wanted to throw my opinion out there that I prefer the sound of the m1060 over the he-560. I had ordered the stax 3100 and 1060 at the same time and at the time decided to keep the stax. Then sold them because of how delicate they are. Missed the 1060s warm bass so I ordered the 560 thinking it would be an upgrade. I was disappointed because they tend to lean more toward the bright side so much so they hurt my ears in long listening sessions. They are great, very detailed, but very bright imo. I have just placed an order for another 1060 (bug, lost marbles, something like that). That should be here in the next couple days to do head to head comparisons and keep the one I like more. I think it'll be the 1060 if my memory serves me right tho cuz I prefer the dark side.

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #5,030 of 8,051
Just wanted to throw my opinion out there that I prefer the sound of the m1060 over the he-560. I had ordered the stax 3100 and 1060 at the same time and at the time decided to keep the stax. Then sold them because of how delicate they are. Missed the 1060s warm bass so I ordered the 560 thinking it would be an upgrade. I was disappointed because they tend to lean more toward the bright side so much so they hurt my ears in long listening sessions. They are great, very detailed, but very bright imo. I have just placed an order for another 1060 (bug, lost marbles, something like that). That should be here in the next couple days to do head to head comparisons and keep the one I like more. I think it'll be the 1060 if my memory serves me right tho cuz I prefer the dark side.
Since you don't have anything in your profile curious to what was your setup that you use for the HE560? Reason is they are a little picky when it comes to amps. But it could also be that you just prefer the darker/warmer sound signature of the M1060 which for me was what I would consider slightly "veiled" even compared to a HD650, which I don't consider "veiled," but this is just my opinion.

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #5,031 of 8,051
I ran them through my parasound zdac v2 dac/amp then used it as dac only to my emotiva a-100. It sounded warmer/better on the zdac but didn't give them the power they need and still hurt my ears after awhile. The a-100 def drives them well enough, but does no favors for the brightness. I didn't notice a veil on the 1060, but I'll be getting them soon so I'll get to hear for myself! 560s def aren't veiled and very detailed so I'm looking forward to listening to them side by side.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #5,035 of 8,051
@peter123 , I can't figure out how to search this thread but the main reason I didn't care for the M1060 when I heard them was they seemed "veiled" to me and my friend who bought them but her sister loves them as is. I want to give them another shot but if it takes $80-100 pads to make them sound decent then I'm not in a hurry.

@koover , the prototype Nhoord driver that I've built and sending around should be with you in 2-3 weeks.

Does anyone have the measurement for the outside and inside diameter for the M1060? My friend who has them want to try different pads but not if only using adhesive rings so I was thinking that if I could fit these mounting rings on it might make pad rolling a little easier:

to use with:

How would you mount that ring?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back