Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jul 28, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #5,011 of 8,051
I can tell you this. I've seen your posts in the X2 thread, and you feel about them pretty much the way I do. Well, the M1060 is everything you like about the X2, turned up to 10. The sound stage, sub bass, and mid bass are excellent, the mids are present but could use a dab of EQ, and the highs are crisp and clean, without ever being sibilant. To be upfront, some folks have reported having a bit of a problem with a ringing at 5khz, which I've gotten none of. I would say in answer to your question that yes, the M1060 definitely have something to offer you, and I'm curious to see what you think of them.

Thanks! I'm really curious about them and was determined to get a pair but they never listed them on eBay again after the initial batch (the by far cheapest option I've seen for international delivery) so I jumped on the summer sale for the HE560's instead. Just got them last week and now the M1060 is back on their eBay listing, at an even lower price......

I feel that the HE560 is a great upgrade from the X2's as well so I'd guess what worries me most is to spend as much as I did on the HE560 and end up with a product that I find inferior. Different would be fine, significantly worse not so much. I know that there's really only one way to find out, it's just a little close to the Hfiman purchase, lol.......

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #5,012 of 8,051
So with the vegans I did the paper towel mod over the foam and I didn't like it, it's hard for me to explain but it sounds less open and it takes away from the magic of the headphone quite a bit. Instead I have removed the outer foam under the grills completely and it sounds amazing, sounds more open and transparent, there is a slight shoutiness to the sound so I plan to use duct tape in the earpads like the "The Miserly Monoprice Monolith M1060 Mod" on reddit.

Another thing I'd thought I would mention is the Brainwavz round velour pads vs the Audeze Vegans, simply put there is no comparison, the vegans are light years ahead in sound quality, it improves upon the stock sound where the brainwavz pads took away considerably imho. I threw the brainwavz pads out.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #5,013 of 8,051
Thanks! I'm really curious about them and was determined to get a pair but they never listed them on eBay again after the initial batch (the by far cheapest option I've seen for international delivery) so I jumped on the summer sale for the HE560's instead. Just got them last week and now the M1060 is back on their eBay listing, at an even lower price......

I feel that the HE560 is a great upgrade from the X2's as well so I'd guess what worries me most is to spend as much as I did on the HE560 and end up with a product that I find inferior. Different would be fine, significantly worse not so much. I know that there's really only one way to find out, it's just a little close to the Hfiman purchase, lol.......
I'd be interested in what you think of the M1060 since I have the HD700, HE560 and a few others that you also have. I did get to try the M1060 from a friend a few weeks ago and was disappointed, they were not what I was expecting based on all the hype I've been reading about them. Granted it was bone stock and only had about a 100+ hours of use but I've never really noticed "burn-in" to really change the sound except for the EL8.

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #5,014 of 8,051
@OldDude04
Oh, I forgot to ask: do you find the midrange on the M1060 to be more recessed than on the X2's? Was also wondering if your M1060 are stock? I don't think I'll ever get any Audeze pads.....

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #5,015 of 8,051
I'd be interested in what you think of the M1060 since I have the HD700, HE560 and a few others that you also have. I did get to try the M1060 from a friend a few weeks ago and was disappointed, they were not what I was expecting based on all the hype I've been reading about them. Granted it was bone stock and only had about a 100+ hours of use but I've never really noticed "burn-in" to really change the sound except for the EL8.

That's what I'm afraid of as well. I don't mind modding them but it's not an option to pay over $100 for a pair of pads for them.

I'm still unsure of what to do......

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #5,017 of 8,051
@OldDude04
Oh, I forgot to ask: do you find the midrange on the M1060 to be more recessed than on the X2's? Was also wondering if your M1060 are stock? I don't think I'll ever get any Audeze pads.....

I find them less recessed. Also, my M1060 are bone stock. I was all prepared to mod the heck out of them when they arrived, but then I fell in love, lol. After that, I couldn't find any reason to mess with them. I will say this, they like the juice. I run them with my iDSD on Turbo.

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #5,018 of 8,051
That's what I'm afraid of as well. I don't mind modding them but it's not an option to pay over $100 for a pair of pads for them.

I'm still unsure of what to do......

I felt the same way and I respect your choice and opinion. Personally, when I upgraded to the Audeze "leather" pads and did the simple "free" papertowel mod, it opens these up like no other. Even when I spent $80 on the pads ($20 cheaper then vegan if you can even find them) and with my limited knowledge, I feel you're getting a great planar for under $400. That's still a steal. Granted most like the vegan and I obviously haven't tried them, but I find them perfect for what I'm looking for with the source materiel I listen too. I've only listened to them with Jot and Mimby so I don't know how they would pair on your set-up. Even stock, for $299 you can't go wrong. And if you don't like them, they stay on the trade forum for like....what? a day at max?

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #5,019 of 8,051

I have m1060 & HE560. Like both, but prefer the HifiMans. Here's a post detailing my comparison:

https://head-fi.org/f/threads/monop...anar-headphones.820107/page-325#post-13602763

Just to re-emphasize again :) I'm not bashing m1060s. Still like them very much. They were my first planars. Just think the HE560s are a notch higher. As I mentioned, it's not night-and-day.

I've got some other pads on order to see if the CSkippiy mods bring them closer together.

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #5,020 of 8,051
I felt the same way and I respect your choice and opinion. Personally, when I upgraded to the Audeze "leather" pads and did the simple "free" papertowel mod, it opens these up like no other. Even when I spent $80 on the pads ($20 cheaper then vegan if you can even find them) and with my limited knowledge, I feel you're getting a great planar for under $400. That's still a steal. Granted most like the vegan and I obviously haven't tried them, but I find them perfect for what I'm looking for with the source materiel I listen too. I've only listened to them with Jot and Mimby so I don't know how they would pair on your set-up. Even stock, for $299 you can't go wrong. And if you don't like them, they stay on the trade forum for like....what? a day at max?

Yeah, I understand what you're saying and if I didn't already have four pair of planars I might think differently but I do and I really enjoy them all......

I've only read one comparisons to the HE560 in this thread (at least that I can remember) and it wasn't exactly favorable for the M1060. I really don't mean any disrespect but opinions from people who actually own one or more other planars seems more reliable to me due to their wider experience. Planars are special and I love the planar sound myself (even the humble T50rp's) so I can totally understand that people who doesn't own other planars are seduced by their sound. This is definitely not directed at you but a general observation. Since I'm not in the US they'll cost me a good bit over $400 shipped even without the Audeze pads so if I don't find them to be on the same level as the HE560 I really don't need them but like I said earlier: there's only one way to know for sure, that's the curse of this hobby......

I've got several setups so I'm not to worried about finding one that matches well with them.

The fact that I really really enjoy the HE560 makes me think that I'm crazy for even considering getting these as well. Maybe I should just enjoy the Hifimans for some time now and pick up these later.....

@DavidA What didn't you like about them if you don't mind me asking?

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #5,021 of 8,051
Yeah, I understand what you're saying and if I didn't already have four pair of planars I might think differently but I do and I really enjoy them all......

I've only read one comparisons to the HE560 in this thread (at least that I can remember) and it wasn't exactly favorable for the M1060. I really don't mean any disrespect but opinions from people who actually own one or more other planars seems more reliable to me due to their wider experience. Planars are special and I love the planar sound myself (even the humble T50rp's) so I can totally understand that people who doesn't own other planars are seduced by their sound. This is definitely not directed at you but a general observation. Since I'm not in the US they'll cost me a good bit over $400 shipped even without the Audeze pads so if I don't find them to be on the same level as the HE560 I really don't need them but like I said earlier: there's only one way to know for sure, that's the curse of this hobby......

I've got several setups so I'm not to worried about finding one that matches well with them.

The fact that I really really enjoy the HE560 makes me think that I'm crazy for even considering getting these as well. Maybe I should just enjoy the Hifimans for some time now and pick up these later.....

@DavidA What didn't you like about them if you don't mind me asking?

A while back in this thread I posted this:

Actually, just a few weeks ago Walmart was selling the HE-560 brand new for $400 (it was posted in the deals thread on here). Pretty solid price for sure.

I gave some comparison impressions earlier in this thread, but I did take my vegan modded M1060's to directly compare against the HE-560 at my local Hifiman dealer. I listened to both extensively on a Moon Audio 430HA dac/amp which should be pretty neutral. I know this goes against what others are saying, but I would personally take my M1060's over the HE-560's at any given price. I also don't know if my M1060's are just very different than @LCMusicLover's pair, but the bass was night and day different between the 2 headphones. My M1060 also never had a 5k ringing problem (stock or modded) and has a ton of bass (which some others didn't find in their pairs). To me, the HE-560 feels like a planar version of HD800 (which I own). They feel quite neutral with maybe a slight tilt toward bright, but are very detailed, resolving, and a bit analytical. I also felt like there was something slightly off about the treble, but not sure exactly what. But the bass on my modded M1060 slams and is much thicker and warmer than the HE-560. While the HE-560 feels closer to HD800, the M1060 feels closer to HD650. So the difference in warmth and bass between HD800 and HD650 is how different HE-560 and M1060 feels.

I actually think the 2 headphones can complement each other well. The M1060 is more of a "fun" headphone. It isn't super detailed or precise to me, and maybe a little loose in the bass, but it is absolutely a joy for high energy, bass emphasized music like hip hop, electronic, and modern pop. It also has a big soundstage with good instrument separation and air that gives it a really big sound. But I would probably prefer to listen to more natural instrument genres on the HE-560 for it's resolution and more neutral tonal balance.

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #5,022 of 8,051
Absolutely man, very cool and no offense taken. That's great you love your other sets. I should actually question myself why I don't I have or have test drove the HE 560's. It's all good.
But yeah, you're right for questioning yourself, why are you even considering them then? Hell, you're happy with what you got so enjoy. The only thing left for me that is recommended by a friend of mine on this site is a good mid-fi pair of Grado's. Never heard them and would love too. Hopefully soon.

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #5,023 of 8,051
I find them less recessed. Also, my M1060 are bone stock. I was all prepared to mod the heck out of them when they arrived, but then I fell in love, lol. After that, I couldn't find any reason to mess with them. I will say this, they like the juice. I run them with my iDSD on Turbo.

Thanks!

Absolutely man, very cool and no offense taken. That's great you love your other sets. I should actually question myself why I don't I have or have test drove the HE 560's. It's all good.
But yeah, you're right for questioning yourself, why are you even considering them then? Hell, you're happy with what you got so enjoy. The only thing left for me that is recommended by a friend of mine on this site is a good mid-fi pair of Grado's. Never heard them and would love too. Hopefully soon.

LOL! You're of course right, then again when you've got the bug it's not always easy to be rational.

Maybe I was hoping it would sound more similar to the LCD2's or maybe I'm just romantic because I really wanted these before I picked up the HE560 and was still looking for a reason to get them.

Grado's special imo and definitely worth at least taking a listen to if you get a chance.

I have m1060 & HE560. Like both, but prefer the HifiMans. Here's a post detailing my comparison:

https://head-fi.org/f/threads/monop...anar-headphones.820107/page-325#post-13602763

Just to re-emphasize again :) I'm not bashing m1060s. Still like them very much. They were my first planars. Just think the HE560s are a notch higher. As I mentioned, it's not night-and-day.

I've got some other pads on order to see if the CSkippiy mods bring them closer together.

Thanks! I missed that one (I see on the date that it was in the middle of my holiday in Spain so probably too much Sangria :wink:). That's the second direct comparison I've read that puts the HE560 ahead of the M1060 so I'd better crawl back under my rock aging :)

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #5,024 of 8,051
@peter123 , I can't figure out how to search this thread but the main reason I didn't care for the M1060 when I heard them was they seemed "veiled" to me and my friend who bought them but her sister loves them as is. I want to give them another shot but if it takes $80-100 pads to make them sound decent then I'm not in a hurry.

@koover , the prototype Nhoord driver that I've built and sending around should be with you in 2-3 weeks.

Does anyone have the measurement for the outside and inside diameter for the M1060? My friend who has them want to try different pads but not if only using adhesive rings so I was thinking that if I could fit these mounting rings on it might make pad rolling a little easier:
Hifiman-pad mounting rings.jpg
to use with:
Hifiman-pad rings.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back