Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jul 30, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #5,041 of 8,051
Leather honey...worked great.
Leather Honey it is, then! Cleaner and conditioner together.

M1060s...beats the hifiman 400i tosses them off a 20 story building and then body slams them just to be sure they are dead...the 1060s are an improvement over the 400is in every way

Actually, not in every way. If you mostly listen to classical music, I'd say go with the 400i over the M1060 (or buy both). I ended up with two headphones that perfectly complement each other for all my needs. Very happy with this combo.

So, does these still have something to offer if one already owns the HE400i, HE560, HD650, HD700, X2 and Q701?
opinions from people who actually own one or more other planars seems more reliable to me due to their wider experience...if I don't find them to be on the same level as the HE560 I really don't need them...The fact that I really really enjoy the HE560 makes me think that I'm crazy for even considering getting these as well.
so I jumped on the summer sale for the HE560's instead.

At the current price of $499 for the HE560, I think you made the right choice. If you only had the HE400i and the HD650, I'd definitely tell you to get the M1060, which on the one hand complements the HE400i and on the other is much more fun and enjoyable than the HD650 (IMO of course).

So with the vegans I did the paper towel mod over the foam and I didn't like it, it's hard for me to explain but it sounds less open

Yeah, I had the same experience. I decided that the pad swap was all I needed (I'm using the lambskins though).

I actually think the 2 headphones can complement each other well. The M1060 is more of a "fun" headphone. It isn't super detailed or precise to me, and maybe a little loose in the bass, but it is absolutely a joy for high energy, bass emphasized music like hip hop, electronic, and modern pop. It also has a big soundstage with good instrument separation and air that gives it a really big sound. But I would probably prefer to listen to more natural instrument genres on the HE-560 for it's resolution and more neutral tonal balance.
+1 Sounds right to me that the HE560 complements the M1060 if you listen to classical music. If you have the M1060, then I think you'd do well to complement them with the HE560 for classical. That's assuming you have an amp that can drive the HE560 and further assuming that you don't listen to music using your phone or laptop. I say this because I saw that DavidA wrote that "if you are only using a laptop then I wouldn't recommend the HE560 only because I have been disappointed every time I tried the HE560 directly from a laptop or desktop system even if the system had a decent sound card like the STX." For that reason, I decided not to get an HE560 even at the current price.

Whether you should buy the M1060 if you already have the HE560 is another question. To me, it would seem like a downgrade, but then I haven't listened to the HE560.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #5,042 of 8,051
@Brahmsian, I haven't totally given up with the M1060 yet, trying to find a way for my friend to be able to swap pads quickly, thinking of trying the metal Hifiman mounting rings that are used to retrofit some of the first HE400i and HE560 that came with plastic mounting rings on the cups. It why I'm trying to find the inner and outer diameters of the wood where the ear pads are mounted to see if its even possible to use the hifiman mounting rings.

The HE560 is just too inefficient for most computers, phones or DAPs where even for those like me that listen at fairly low levels (65-75dB) most devices even at maxed volume barely get the HE560 to my listening level. The level that one listens to is important since some headphones just don't sound good if played at low levels (HE560 is one of them) while other sound better at low levels (most Grado) and become shouty or out of balance at higher listening levels.

Aug 2, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #5,046 of 8,051
So, I have been reading other online reviews about both the M560 and M1060. To my surprise, the M560 has more positive reviews than the M1060. All of them are from formal reviews as opposed to customer reviews. Some of the reviews mention the sound of the mods and ear pad swaps, which may be a plus for the M1060. Are there any mods to boost the M560 performance? Any way, I am guessing that due to the M1060 cost 50% more than the M560 i a big reason for the more favorable reviews towards the M560. Neither have what I would call a rave review about them being giant killers, but solid performers for their price range. I do like the idea of switching the M560 between closed and open phones, but I also like the idea of larger drivers in the M1060.

Aug 2, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #5,048 of 8,051
So, I have been reading other online reviews about both the M560 and M1060. To my surprise, the M560 has more positive reviews than the M1060. All of them are from formal reviews as opposed to customer reviews. Some of the reviews mention the sound of the mods and ear pad swaps, which may be a plus for the M1060. Are there any mods to boost the M560 performance? Any way, I am guessing that due to the M1060 cost 50% more than the M560 i a big reason for the more favorable reviews towards the M560. Neither have what I would call a rave review about them being giant killers, but solid performers for their price range. I do like the idea of switching the M560 between closed and open phones, but I also like the idea of larger drivers in the M1060.

Within the review community, the M1060 unfortunately got overhyped to no end before release and then Zeos' also overhyping them made them into a meme as most other reviewers don't like Zeos. So with that, I think many reviewers went in with a colored opinion. But DMS3TV liked them (he has posted in this thread as well). Kyle (Ischa) of Verum Sonus admitted he couldn't get a good seal and the bass didn't hit well for him, but he also said he could see the potential in them and that with mods they should be good (and they are). In my talks with him, I think he doesn't feel as negative as his written opinion comes off. I believe Metal571 just got a bad pair. After talking with him about it a bit I think he got one that had a really bad 5k ringing problem that he couldn't get over. He also couldn't find a way to EQ it out, so he just couldn't recommend them. However, as many of us here discussed it seems like it is rare to get a pair that has a really bad 5k ringing issue. And many of us have tried to specifically hear it ourselves and couldn't.

Anyways, that's just a background of the "controversy" over the M1060 and what has happened. On the flip side, there's over 300 pages of people talking about how much they love the M1060's here and this headphone has barely been out for 6 months. So that should also say something. And many of the people here have also heard or own TOTL headphones as well and still really like the M1060, so don't be turned off by just a handful of negative reviews.

Aug 2, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #5,049 of 8,051
I am still undecided and my hearing is failing me on this one... So, with stock pads, do or don't paper towel mod? what are the general consensus?

Aug 2, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #5,050 of 8,051
I am still undecided and my hearing is failing me on this one... So, with stock pads, do or don't paper towel mod? what are the general consensus?

That is an incredibly simple, 5 minute mod of just removing some screws. Give it a shot for yourself and see how you feel about it. Opinions are mixed, I personally didn't notice much of a difference. Not nearly close to the scale of changing pads.

Aug 2, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #5,051 of 8,051
I apologize, as I'm sure this has been asked scores of times at this point, but looking for some thoughts on how these would stack up to Fazor LCD-2's, given that a deal for the latter has presented itself. Looking for some planars to complement my E-MU Teaks and HD650's and keep waffling between the M1060's or the secondhand LCD-2s. Primarily listen to metal and classical, along with some gaming.

Aug 2, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #5,052 of 8,051
I apologize, as I'm sure this has been asked scores of times at this point, but looking for some thoughts on how these would stack up to Fazor LCD-2's, given that a deal for the latter has presented itself. Looking for some planars to complement my E-MU Teaks and HD650's and keep waffling between the M1060's or the secondhand LCD-2s. Primarily listen to metal and classical, along with some gaming.
Interesting choices, while I have a LCD-2f, HD650 and TH-600 (similar to the E-MU) I wouldn't use any of them for classical and I don't listen to metal so take this comment with a grain of salt. For classical its usually the HD700, HD800, SR-009 or T1g1 (when and if I get them back from my son) that I will reach for. FWIW when I heard the M1060 a few weeks ago they didn't impress me but they were bone stock, from what I've read on this thread you need to change the pads and do a paper towel mod, so if the used LCD-2f is $400-500 then I would go with them over the M1060.

Aug 2, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #5,053 of 8,051
I don't think I've posted much on my M1060s. I've had mine for ~3 months now. When I first got them I was impressed but didn't think they were.. 'perfect'. But knew they had potential. I was coming from the HE400i's. They had been my daily driver for over a yr. I have others, like the X2's (just sold them) Q701's, some cheaper Senn's and such that I do listen to occasionally.

I've done variations of the paper towel mod and ended up using a modified version using some old cloth driver cover from my stash. One side is felt-like, the other is slightly shiny cloth-like. Around 3 ins in diameter, but I folded two of the sides in to meet each other making an elongated rounded top & bottom rectangle. I placed it on top of the foam with the shiny side of it towards the driver. After much experimentation this sounded best to me. It added presence, vocals were more forward, and bass had more impact. All what I thought it needed.

I was using a Schiit Voli 2 for my amp at this time. I have about 8 or so different tubes for it, 2 or 3 NOS ones. So I felt I was getting the best sound out of it I could.
Still, something wasn't right. I had been itching for a new amp and had had my eye on the Project Ember for quite some time. I could tube roll all the tubes I had for the Voli 2 on it, and then some. It does 6 or 12v. I love tube rolling so thought this would be a perfect upgrade for me. How right I was!

The Ember made the M1060's come alive! Which tells me that they scale well. But I didn't stop there. For those here that know some about tubes, I then ordered the vintage 6sn7 and adaptor to fit it to the Ember. It was truly an OMG moment. The Ember was like a wow moment over the Voli 2, this was even more I think.

This post is really about the M1060s and what they ARE capable of given the right chain, synergy. These things are just blowing me away right now. Everything just. sounds. so. good! It's nirvana for me.

I might mention that earlier someone posted about some replacement foam pads for under the grills that eBay has. I bought some to try. I just finished experimenting with them and I thought the stock ones still sound the best. They are two different thicknesses of pads, thinner than stock. I thought both of them took something away from the sound signature. Kinda sounded the same, but less of it. That's my take anyways.

So for me... slightly modded M1060's, Project Ember, 6sn7 tube = Nurvana!

Aug 2, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #5,054 of 8,051
I've done variations of the paper towel mod and ended up using a modified version using some old cloth driver cover from my stash. One side is felt-like, the other is slightly shiny cloth-like. Around 3 ins in diameter, but I folded two of the sides in to meet each other making an elongated rounded top & bottom rectangle. I placed it on top of the foam with the shiny side of it towards the driver. After much experimentation this sounded best to me. It added presence, vocals were more forward, and bass had more impact. All what I thought it needed.
Do you happen to have a photo showing this in more detail, I'm very curious.

Aug 2, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #5,055 of 8,051
Yes please a picture or two. I had a hard time visualizing your description.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back