Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Aug 2, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #5,056 of 8,051
Last edited:
Aug 3, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #5,057 of 8,051
Looks like Tyll finally got some measurements of our beloved M1060 (check 2nd to last paragraph).

Interesting to note he prefers the Massdrop HE4XX more though. Also, note the distortion plots and the 5k ringing. It doesn't seem terrible at 90 dB, but pretty bad at 100 dB. I wonder if the reason some people hear it and some don't has to do with the volume we all listen.
I agree that the volume level that the individual listens at has / can have a significant influence in how we perceive the sound of headphones. I tend to listen at low to moderate levels (55-75dB with peaks at 80-83dB) which is maybe why I felt that the M1060 was rather boring.

Aug 3, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #5,060 of 8,051
look closerly at the 5k dist, both 90db and 100db are pretty bad, not something doesn't seem something (vertor pdf, means we could click it bigger and bigger)

Hmm I think the confusion in what I'm seeing is coming from the fact that the left and right channels are slightly off from each other in that region. From the FR it looks like the red line (R channel) is ringing at 4k and the blue line (L channel) is more at 4.5k. So for THD it also shows that shift between the channels. The right channel at both 90 and 100 dB are higher than left channel a both 90dB and 100dB. The 90 dB left hits just above 1% which isn't terrible, which is what I was originally reporting. But yeah, the right channel hitting upwards of 10%, even at 90 dB is odd.

I agree that the volume level that the individual listens at has / can have a significant influence in how we perceive the sound of headphones. I tend to listen at low to moderate levels (55-75dB with peaks at 80-83dB) which is maybe why I felt that the M1060 was rather boring.

Yeah, this might be a reasonable explanation. I can see how listening to these in the 60 dB range could be considered boring. I tend to listen in the 75-80 dB range with infrequent peaks in 85-90 dB.

Aug 3, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #5,061 of 8,051
Also, since these comparisons have come up, here you go:
(unsurprisingly the M1060 looks quite similar to the LCD-2, even moreso with the cskippy mods)

output.png

output.png

Aug 3, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #5,062 of 8,051
@givemetacos , thanks for posting the charts. I can see why I felt the M1060 boring, the dip in the 4-5khz range is quite large and can make it seem rolled off in the highs. The LCD-2 chart looks more like the 2.1/2.2 pre Fazor version, for some it will seem rolled off where the newer Fazor versions are a bit brighter and don't seem to be rolled off.

Aug 3, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #5,063 of 8,051
Wound up ordering these from Monoprice on Amazon, should come in next week. Ease of returns and 5 year warranty just made this easier for me to swallow than the LCD's (for the moment, at least). Looking forward to it.

Aug 3, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #5,064 of 8,051
@givemetacos , thanks for posting the charts. I can see why I felt the M1060 boring, the dip in the 4-5khz range is quite large and can make it seem rolled off in the highs. The LCD-2 chart looks more like the 2.1/2.2 pre Fazor version, for some it will seem rolled off where the newer Fazor versions are a bit brighter and don't seem to be rolled off.

The LCD-2 I compared to is listed as a 2014 Fazor according to Tyll, so I think 2.2 Fazor? I know that 2016 changed a little, so it is probably a bit different of a comparison for that.

Aug 3, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #5,065 of 8,051
Yes please a picture or two. I had a hard time visualizing your description.
Do you happen to have a photo showing this in more detail, I'm very curious.

Here's some pictures.

This is the cloth I'm using instead of the paper towels. I tried many different textures, sizes and colors of napkin. I felt the cloth was more effective.

The felt-like side.
IMG_0442.JPG

The cloth-like side.
IMG_0443.JPG

Way folded.
IMG_0444.JPG

And how it is inserted. The cloth-like side towards the driver.
IMG_0441.JPG

Aug 3, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #5,066 of 8,051
Thank you for doing that/ It is a good thing... I had not even come close to visualizing how you folded the cloth based on your description. Likely my fault, not yours !

Aug 3, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #5,068 of 8,051
Where did the material come from. It does not look like something a normal fabric store would have. That will be the hardest part of trying to do this... getting the same material.

Aug 4, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #5,069 of 8,051
Where did the material come from. It does not look like something a normal fabric store would have. That will be the hardest part of trying to do this... getting the same material.
These came from a set of Pioneer SE-A1000 headphones from way back. They were a second layer that covered the drivers under the pads. Removing them opened up the sound IIRC. I save stuff like this.

It doesn't look like they are even available anymore. I paid like $40 for them, near the end of their run, I'm guessing.

I've never removed the pads on my M1060's, but I've read here that there's some fabric under them that is very similar to what I used. They are a second layer over the drivers also. Some removed this layer when replacing the pads. Maybe someone would be willing to sell them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back