Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jul 18, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #4,906 of 8,051
Ah sucks you didn't like the M1060. Any particular reason? And I had to contact Monoprice's customer support and they were quick and great. I never know how those 3rd party selling policies work, but I do think it is much trickier working out returns when not buying directly from the manufacturer. It does make sense that Newegg should be the one to handle the return though as they are the ones that took your money. Newegg is a well known big company so I imagine they should get it sorted out for you.

Because my $45 Pro 80 clone sounds better than it does overall simply because the bass doesn't exist without very heavy EQ and then it screws everything up. Have no idea if the set is defective or not, don't really care at this point as I just want my refund and I will try something else like the Sony MDR-1. Mostly lesson to metal and rock but I don't like bass that bleeds into everything or that is overpowering I just want it to exist in good amounts.

Jul 18, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #4,907 of 8,051
Because my $45 Pro 80 clone sounds better than it does overall simply because the bass doesn't exist without very heavy EQ and then it screws everything up. Have no idea if the set is defective or not, don't really care at this point as I just want my refund and I will try something else like the Sony MDR-1. Mostly lesson to metal and rock but I don't like bass that bleeds into everything or that is overpowering I just want it to exist in good amounts.
Sorry to hear that. I agree that these headphones don't have the best QC. I had some dried residue on a misaligned diaphragm on mine but still manage to sound exceptionally balanced once they've been cleaned up. Hope you have better luck on your next pair!

Jul 18, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #4,908 of 8,051

I sympathize because these are really nice phones
Hey, for the MDR-1A's, have you ever heard them? I have a pair and even though I like them a lot for portable, the bass is boomy, flabby and not tight/fast at all. They're pretty neutral except for the enhanced bass. I listen to metal and prog metal myself and they do kick some a$$. I listen on my IPhone 6+ and dragonfly red.
Read below please

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #4,909 of 8,051
I sympathize because these. An he really nice phones
Hey, for the MDR-1A's, have you ever heard them? I have a pair and even though I like them a lot for portable, the bass is boomy, flabby and not tight/fast at all. I listen to metal myself and I love them on my IPhone 6+

Damn, hit send by accident
iPhone 6+. On a dragonfly red.
I got them for $119 refurbished and they're perfect. For retail, I believe there may be better choices. I love my bass so if you don't mind a lot of midbass that's kinda fat, the Sony's are what you want.
Check out the ZEO review on them as he loves them.

I still think you ought to return your 1060's, get another pair and see what happens. I understand the sour taste in your mouth, but when these sing, they really sing.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #4,910 of 8,051

I have the Hyperx Cloud (Pro 80 clone) and tried the mdr-1a for 2 days, and both of them cannot even be concidered to be proper headphones in comparison to the m1060's. I know you feel ripped off and tired right now, but for your own satisfaction, get a replacement pair instead of a refund. The mdr-1a sounds sibilant, small (very limited soundstage) and extremely flabby (the bass is maybe huge, but it's not the bass you want at all) in comparison. It's David vs Goliath here, and the m1060's will wow you if you get a working pair, I'm 100% sure.

Jul 18, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #4,911 of 8,051

First easy check, did you by chance use the Monoprice 1/4" adapter that was included? If so, swap in a different adapter and see if that changes anything. If same problem, you might not be getting a good seal with the pads. Getting a proper seal is crucial for the bass to come through. Try pressing the pads firmly against your head to see if that changes the sound at all. If that helps you might want to try different pads to get the proper fit.

Jul 18, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #4,912 of 8,051
I have the Hyperx Cloud (Pro 80 clone) and tried the mdr-1a for 2 days, and both of them cannot even be concidered to be proper headphones in comparison to the m1060's. I know you feel ripped off and tired right now, but for your own satisfaction, get a replacement pair instead of a refund. The mdr-1a sounds sibilant, small (very limited soundstage) and extremely flabby (the bass is maybe huge, but it's not the bass you want at all) in comparison. It's David vs Goliath here, and the m1060's will wow you if you get a working pair, I'm 100% sure.

With the lack of a response I have had from Monoprice, I honestly don't think a replacement is even a option I want to deal with. I don't really trust this brand to make good on the product they are selling at this point. I have gotten much quicker and better customer service on a pair of $20 in ears than I have on this set I blew many times more money on.

Jul 18, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #4,913 of 8,051
You possibly may just not like planars as much as dynamic drivers. Or maybe you are not driving them with enough power (say an amp with at least 2-3W capacity at 50ohm and a low output impedance). My preference is dynamic drivers (planars have never really 'wowed' me before other than their clean detail/ speed) but for a planar, the M1060 has pretty impressive bass when cskippy modded - probably 90% of the bass a TH-X00 has. It is not a planar that is lacking in the bass department, especially when driven from a high current output amp. Absolutely has extremely impactful and hard hitting bass.

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #4,914 of 8,051
You possibly may just not like planars as much as dynamic drivers. Or maybe you are not driving them with enough power (say an amp with at least 2-3W capacity at 50ohm and a low output impedance). My preference is dynamic drivers (planars have never really 'wowed' me before other than their clean detail/ speed) but for a planar, the M1060 has pretty impressive bass when cskippy modded - probably 90% of the bass a TH-X00 has. It is not a planar that is lacking in the bass department, especially when driven from a high current output amp. Absolutely has extremely impactful and hard hitting bass.

I am kind of a noob so you could be right about just liking dynamic better. I have liked the Gemini HSR-1000 I have better than just about everything I have tried in stores. Mostly because beats and the Bluetooth Sony's have bloomy bleeding bass.

To try one more time for an upgrade I have been thinking about getting the Fostex T40RP MK3, Sony MDR-1A or Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK.

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #4,915 of 8,051
@Phantaminum , I think you will love the Ember with the HD650, unfortunately when I tried the M1060 with my Ember it wasn't what I expecting, a little dull and lifeless, close to having a "veil" but it could also be the M1060 was not within spec since most say their M1060 sound nothing like I described them.

Thanks for the feedback @DavidA . I'll wait for the ZMF Eikon earpads to come in and see what they do for the sound.

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #4,916 of 8,051

You put into words with exactly what i'm feeling towards these headphones. It's not that it doesn't have bass, it's not the speed or the detail, it's something else on the headphones that's not sitting well with me. Something going on in the background that's causing the headphones to fatigue my ears. The TH-X00 used to fatigue my ears with the highs but I enjoyed them. I think I'm finally settling into the sound I like, my chain isn't right for these headphones, or it's the headphones themselves. Still I think they're a great pair of headphones for the price.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #4,917 of 8,051
Hi, sort of new to the forums. I currently have the Monolith M1060's. I was wondering what can I do to maximize my M1060's? I've gone through many pages, there are A LOT of mods right now.

Also, what amp would be good to power M1060's? I was looking at Monoprice's tube amps https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=120&cp_id=12008&cs_id=1200801&p_id=16154&seq=1&format=2. Any other suggestions? Don't feel like spending +$200 for an amp unless it's the last amp I'll buy and has all the bells and whistles. Thanks in advanced.

EDIT: One last thing, both of my connections on my headphones are semi loose, movement sometimes breaks the connection, so I have to turn the wire slightly to have the cable contact the points. Any fixes?

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #4,918 of 8,051
Hi, sort of new to the forums. I currently have the Monolith M1060's. I was wondering what can I do to maximize my M1060's? I've gone through many pages, there are A LOT of mods right now.

Also, what amp would be good to power M1060's? I was looking at Monoprice's tube amps https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=120&cp_id=12008&cs_id=1200801&p_id=16154&seq=1&format=2. Any other suggestions? Don't feel like spending +$200 for an amp unless it's the last amp I'll buy and has all the bells and whistles. Thanks in advanced.

EDIT: One last thing, both of my connections on my headphones are semi loose, movement sometimes breaks the connection, so I have to turn the wire slightly to have the cable contact the points. Any fixes?

I'd get an amp with more power... the M1060 absolutely loves powerful amps with low output resistance. That monoprice amp is on the low end of things, A Schitt Magni 2 Uber would probably be better.

What version M1060 do you have?

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #4,920 of 8,051
MMCX/Shure in-ear connectors or 2.5mm TRS mono connectors for the cups? The second version has the 2.5mm cup connectors, 6ft cable, and a few other tweaks.

Version 1 aftermarket cable:
il_570xN.1180817248_l6bz.jpg

Version 2 aftermarket cable:
il_570xN.1255623213_pt4q.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back