Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jul 18, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #4,921 of 8,051
MMCX/Shure in-ear connectors or 2.5mm TRS mono connectors for the cups? The second version has the 2.5mm cup connectors, 6ft cable, and a few other tweaks.

Version 1 aftermarket cable:
il_570xN.1180817248_l6bz.jpg

Version 2 aftermarket cable:
il_570xN.1255623213_pt4q.jpg

Although just to confuse things, the connectors on the v.2 cable pictured are TRRS, while most are either TS or TRS. Only the tip and sleeve are used on each side, not the ring(s).

Jul 19, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #4,922 of 8,051
O wow, v2 has actual connectors instead of the cups. Think monoprice will allow me to exchange for the newer model? Or does the older model have something special than the newer one that I should keep?

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #4,923 of 8,051
O wow, v2 has actual connectors instead of the cups. Think monoprice will allow me to exchange for the newer model? Or does the older model have something special than the newer one that I should keep?

Huh? I think you are misinterpreting the changes. You can read all about the v2 changes earlier in this thread, but namely they changed the connection type from MMCX to 2.5mm. The actual physical connector on the wood ring is in the same place and looks the same, just different type of connector. They also treated the wood somehow to minimize cracking, fixed the headband adjusters, and provided a longer cable. I believe others have had Monoprice RMA the version 1 and get a v2 in return. However, if you are satisfied with how your pair sounds, swapping out might be risky. It seems that there is most likely a decent amount of driver variation in each set. Even people who have RMA'd from v1 to v2 have specifically noticed that the v2 sounded different and wasn't as good. I have no idea if that was a difference of going from v1 to v2, or just that he happened to get a worse quality v2. Anyways, just something to consider.

Jul 19, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #4,924 of 8,051
if anyone is in doubt at what type of music/genre/artist the m1060's shine on, try to listen to some Pink Floyd. The Wall is mastered very well, and sounds spectacular.

Also, I just found this:

Mindblowing. This can also be found on Tidal in even higher quality (This is from Live in Gdansk 2006) :) :)

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #4,927 of 8,051
Listen to Zeos' demo of the STAX SR-L700 with the M1060... just do it.

Haha yeah, I guess I really need to hear those. Isn't that set @Pahani's? He was commenting in this thread earlier.

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #4,928 of 8,051
Listen to Zeos' demo of the STAX SR-L700 with the M1060... just do it.

Sounds amazing on my Monolith M560, not with stock pads though, only with XBR 500 earpads. fantastic. i think those L700
s are my end game actually. not sure i can ever afford that though.

Jul 20, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #4,929 of 8,051
Monoprice has at last sent an Email and so now the long wait shall likely start once more between Monoprice and Newegg's 3-7 business day thing trying to resolve the issue.

So I have learned to not ever use a 3rd party seller for costly stuff, always knew it wasn't smart but now I personally know why it isn't wise.

Jul 20, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #4,931 of 8,051
I haven't had a chance to try the vegans either but I've tried half a dozen different velour pads and the best one by far is the HiFiMAN Velpad (NOT the velour pad). They're $15, angled, comfortable, fits great, reduces the ringing significantly, smooths out the peaks but makes the treble a bit brighter. The brightness can be solved using cskippy's paper towel mod but it does reduce bass quantity somewhat. You need to clip off the mounting tabs using nail clippers or something similar but I can't recommend them enough.

I have to throw out a contrary opinion on the Velpads here. I think it was your comment that caused me to try them and they are not an improvement over the stock pads in my opinion. They are very shallow with much less cushion and cause a huge gap under my ears. This causes the bass to be completely missing which makes them sound terrible. Maybe it's my head shape, but with the size of these headphones, I think they need a much thicker, and plusher pad to create a good seal to retain at least some of the base.

Here's a picture comparing the thickness difference.
kPoNaRl.jpg

Glad they work for you, and they were only $15 so I don't regret trying them out.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #4,932 of 8,051
I have to throw out a contrary opinion on the Velpads here. I think it was your comment that caused me to try them and they are not an improvement over the stock pads in my opinion. They are very shallow with much less cushion and cause a huge gap under my ears. This causes the bass to be completely missing which makes them sound terrible. Maybe it's my head shape, but with the size of these headphones, I think they need a much thicker, and plusher pad to create a good seal to retain at least some of the base.

Here's a picture comparing the thickness difference.
kPoNaRl.jpg

Glad they work for you, and they were only $15 so I don't regret trying them out.
Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. Personally I didn't experience a drop in bass on my end. Could be the head shape difference you're speaking of.
Stock pad measurement:
HsVMips.jpg

Velpad measurement:
cIiu9XL.jpg

Jul 20, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #4,933 of 8,051
I have to say that the more I use my m560's the more I love them. I have them paired with the XB700 earpads, but I don't have those earpads attached. I just pop off the regular pads, put them to the side, and just line up the XB pads and let the clamping force keep everything in place. Works great! Base goes up a bunch like that for some reason, and the overall experience is very nice. I tried using XB500 pads, but they were still a tad too small for me. The XB700s were bigger and better for me.

Jul 20, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #4,935 of 8,051
Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. Personally I didn't experience a drop in bass on my end. Could be the head shape difference you're speaking of.

No worries! It's all a fun experiment imo. Just thought I'd provide an alternative viewpoint for others to consider. I ordered the ZMF Eikon lambskin pads (which should work for Audeze/M1060) from Massdrop anyway but I thought I'd try the velours since they were cheap. I'll probably be able to use them for some other headphones at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back