Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jul 6, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #4,756 of 8,051
the link is working fine my friend ,, its the 1.2m cable with the mic ,,
this one : http://assets.ilounge.com/images/reviews/audioquest/nightowl-carbon/4.jpg
also the M1060 cable is working fine with my NightHawk
its just that you dont hear the deference because maybe your amp/dac is not transparent enough ,
or am not sure why ,, but the improvement over the stock cable is very clear ..

Ok, same cable I have.
I even swapped them out again after reading your latest post this morning and I truly don't hear a difference. Maybe my ears are all jacked up or something else?
I'm glad yours sound much better. Maybe I need an ear checkup? :triportsad:

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #4,757 of 8,051
Massdrop just came down with a drop for ZMF Ear Pads. 2 options: Eikon appears to be the correct fit. Material choices are 'Protien Leather' and 'Lambskin'. I assume the first is 'pleather' and probably no (or not much) different than stock. Might the effect of the lambskin be similar to the Vegans?
Been hesitant to jump on the M1060 due lack of Audeze Vegan Pads, this might be the answer the community might be looking for...Was going to start looking at MrSpeakers Pads or ZMF Pads...Just curious on what community has been suggesting since the lack of Vegans stock? Better yet, it would be great if Dekoni built a pad around the Vegan Pads...

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #4,758 of 8,051
Been hesitant to jump on the M1060 due lack of Audeze Vegan Pads, this might be the answer the community might be looking for...Was going to start looking at MrSpeakers Pads or ZMF Pads...Just curious on what community has been suggesting since the lack of Vegans stock? Better yet, it would be great if Dekoni built a pad around the Vegan Pads...

So far, there doesn't seem to be a consensus on an alternative to the Vegans. And actually, reading through all the posts, some folks aren't that happy with the CSkippy mods (Vegans and paper towels). Perhaps down to different ears/tastes or differing source chain characteristics, or possibly down to variation between individual m1060s.

I'm on the fence as to whether I want to do this -- I don't really hear the deficiencies others have derided. On the other hand, I respect the opinions of several posters of good reputation who say this mod has significantly improved the sound. ('...of good reputation' -- how Jane Austenish.)

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #4,759 of 8,051
I just wrote impressions in the last page (317) but I find the HiFiMAN Velpad an excellent alternative. They're cheap too at $15 a pair.

Jul 6, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #4,761 of 8,051
That sound like the 3.5 to quarter inch adaptor is playing up try another one if you have one at hand.

Excellent call on this. I swapped the 1/4" adapter with another one I had, it made a huge difference. Switching back to the one provided with the m1060 shows how poorly it sounds. I imagine some of the complaints about these headphones could be traced back to that junk adapter.

Thanks for the tip!

Jul 7, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #4,762 of 8,051
How are the microphonics with this type of cable?

Noticebly better than the stock cable - much more muted.
This would be a legitimate reason to change a cable. The microphonics on some cables is truly terrible.

The sound from the 1060s was hollow, distant and the bass was noticeably lacking. Cranking the volume did little to alleviate it. Song after song I noticed the same thing.
Distant? I agree, if by that you mean that things are a little set back and not up against your ear like with some headphones. I like this about the M1060. I also think I know what you mean by hollow. The first time I put them on I got the same effect. But what sounded hollow at first now gives me more of a sense of space. They actually don't sound hollow to me anymore.

I also find that so much depends on the individual recording. The M1060 can sound very different depending on what you're listening to. Play the following album as a test. If it still sounds hollow and distant, then the problem might be on your end since this music sounds very full, alive and immediate on my M1060: http://www.chesky.com/album/master-jd365

Different headphones have different sonic characteristics, presentations, sound signatures. Sometimes it takes a little while to get used to them. Sometimes even good headphones can sound bad at first when all you're used to are bad headphones (with, for example, boomy bass - not saying it's necessarily the case with you). My advice about headphones in general is give them at least 50 hours of listening time before you make up your mind. Throw a lot of different types of music at them. Try them out with different amps. Etc.

Then again, sometimes you just know immediately that a headphone is not for you. I recently tried the beats studio and even though they weren't as bad as I thought they would be I knew pretty much instantly that they were not what I was looking for.

Consider owning more than one pair of headphones (if you don't already). They don't all excel at the same things. For instance, I generally prefer the 400i for classical but the other day I started playing a classical recording on them that sounded dark, heavy, almost syrupy. I immediately knew that in this case classical would sound better on the M1060, and it did. My point is that it's nice to have more than one pair of headphones.

BTW I got my Audeze leather pads from B&H today. Everybody seems to stick them on but they also have a lip. Does that stretch around the cup so you can fit them without adhesive?

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #4,764 of 8,051
+1 for Impact Audio Cables, ordered them before it was found out the connection was no longer MMCX, found that out within the day I ordered. Was easy communicating with him to get everything changed to the proper connection for the second revision. We kept each other informed through the process and out came his first 2.5mm mono cable for the M1060. Will be going with Lindsay again for a custom HD 700 cable in the future.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/533320597/custom-infinity-series-monolith-m1060?ref=shop_home_feat_1

i-wpCK5pZ.jpg

I have DFR + laptop for my portable setup at work (mainly listen to the TH-X00 PH with it). Been a while since listened to the M1060 on it, but from what I remember it paired well with it. Will need to revisit it and listen again to get more accurate impressions of it. DFR definitely sounds its best after being powered on for a day. With any headphone I have, the DFR does have extremely clear sound - clearer than my home system setup. Phenominally clean and clear sounding, just lags a little bit in detail and more so in low end presence than my Bifrost 4490 DAC and Meir JAZZ-ff amp setup...

That's a beautiful cable. This what I envisioned when making my cable but came out completely different lol.

Jul 7, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #4,765 of 8,051
No, the lip is there to make a solid seal with the adhesive and cup.

Thank you. You saved me from making a potentially big mistake.

Experiment and see what you like.

Well, Tullebukk, here's what I think of the pads you recommended: :L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000:

So the black Audeze pads are available now? Every site i went to said backordered.
Also, what's going to be the difference between the vegan brown and the black leather?
I'd rather not wait forever until the Vegan is off backorder. I'll cancel my order and save $60
So I think you got the black Audeze leather pads, the same ones I got? Here's what I found. I suggest everyone thinking about switching pads on the M1060 read this.

My initial impression before I put them on was that the new Audeze pads didn't look as nice as the stock pads. The latter actually look bigger, fuller, plumper. Feel nicer when you touch them.

Step one: remove the old pads. The first one was fairly easy to take off. I recommend you do it very slowly because when I peeled off the second one the material protecting the driver wanted to come off with it. But because I did it slowly I was able to do it right.

I was hoping that the glue from the old pads would be enough to make the new ones stick. They didn't. Right now, I'm just listening with the pads only loosely stuck on. When/if I use the adhesive rings that came with the pads, I'll make sure to take cskippy' s advice and press them to a cotton T first.

So -- what I love about the new pads is that they make this headphone without doubt the most comfortable headphone I have ever owned. I mean, for me, they now rival the Bose QC for comfort, and that's saying a lot.

Sound: my initial impression is that they make the headphone a little darker and warmer. I think they make them a little more like the 400i. If anything, their superiority over the 400i v2 is more obvious now than ever.

Initial conclusion: If you found the stock M1060 too bright or harsh in the treble (or if you found them slightly uncomfortable to wear), then I think the Audeze leather pads might just be the solution. Is the crispness to the sound gone? Maybe a little. I want to keep listening to before I decide. But for me the vast improvement in comfort makes these Audeze pads well worth the swap.

I said the old pads were plumper, and maybe that was their problem. They felt like they just sat there on top of your skin without conforming to the shape of your head. These Audeze replacement pads give the sensation of conforming, of sealing and just all around fitting better.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #4,766 of 8,051
So -- what I love about the new pads is that they make this headphone without doubt the most comfortable headphone I have ever owned. I mean, for me, they now rival the Bose QC for comfort, and that's saying a lot.

I have the QC35s and I dont think they are that comfortable. Never tried other Bose but for me the 35s are mah.

Jul 8, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #4,767 of 8,051
Initial conclusion: If you found the stock M1060 too bright or harsh in the treble (or if you found them slightly uncomfortable to wear), then I think the Audeze leather pads might just be the solution. Is the crispness to the sound gone? Maybe a little. I want to keep listening to before I decide. But for me the vast improvement in comfort makes these Audeze pads well worth the swap.
Now you found out why I put the 3 inch paper towel under the outer grill. They were warm and smooth sounding but were too easy going and didn't have that excitement and engagement I wanted.

Jul 8, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #4,769 of 8,051
I'm probably going to see about trying another pair somewhere down the line and see if the first pair was a fluke or not, hopefully my friends sister still has the first pair that I listened to so I can do some comparison between the two.
In my opinion, don't bother trying another pair unless it has the Audeze pads on. Now that I hear what a difference they make, it might as well be a whole new pair of headphones.
I have the QC35s and I dont think they are that comfortable. Never tried other Bose but for me the 35s are mah.
Guess people have different pressure points.
Now you found out why I put the 3 inch paper towel under the outer grill. They were warm and smooth sounding but were too easy going and didn't have that excitement and engagement I wanted.
I would only have to stick the outer foam back in. But I'm loving it even without the paper towel. The sound might have lost a little something but forget about it what they gained more than makes up for it. I was skeptical that simply changing pads would make that big of a difference. I had never done it before. Boy, was I wrong. Of course, this assumes that you don't mind a slightly darker, warmer, and less fatiguing sound. Also, the leather pads get a little warmer than the stock pads. Something to keep in mind if your ears sweat a lot. That's not a problem for me.

Everybody, just consider the M1060 to be a $380 pair of headphones. Eighty bucks seems like a lot for ear pads. Well worth it.

Jul 8, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #4,770 of 8,051
Anyone find an aftermarket case? Will be starting my grave rotation at work and would like to take them with me.
Any case that would work with a Hifiman HE 400/500 series would be a good start probably. The stock case is pretty rediculous.

In other things... FedEx dropped these off today:
i-zrMNPJf-X3.jpg

i-Bkd8XRg.jpg

Gustard H-10 high current amp (x2 because modding plans and a backup wanted)

If they really do burn-in like everyone says they do then mannnn... it's going to be sweet. Using the DFR as DAC, the bass is already greatly improved from the Bifrost and JAZZ-ff combo off the bat, the sound is just kind of veiled at the start like everyone says...but man that bass impact and body! :L3000: Imagine the Bifrost will be very nice pairing with it (with the detail and bass improvement over the DFR). Can't wait for the shift in clarity and details to come around...already loving this amp! Ooooo... I got to plug in the TH-X00 PH and see what they are like... can only imagine.....drool....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back