Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 25, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #4,112 of 8,051
Wait, wait, wait... if there is an attenuation ring in the M1060's, and people with vegans are not using it, which lead to great sound... could the simple removal of the attenuation ring get you a part of the way to the better sound?

(being that vegans are now unicorns)

May 25, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #4,113 of 8,051
Wait, wait, wait... if there is an attenuation ring in the M1060's, and people with vegans are not using it, which lead to great sound... could the simple removal of the attenuation ring get you a part of the way to the better sound?

Both the vegans and the stock pads have a hard plastic plate that helps the pads keep their shape. I'm no expert but I'm guessing that this acts as an attenuation ring. I also imagine that lack of this plastic piece would change the sound, probably for the worse.

EDIT: It looks like I wasn't entirely correct. On closer inspection the stock pads have an attenuation ring similar in shape and size to the Dekoni one. The Vegans have a plastic ring but only around the outer edge of the pad and probably isn't effecting the sound much. With that said, Monoprice didn't tune these a whole lot but I'm guessing that the attenuation ring in the stock pads is there for a reason since it cost extra to have it there. You would also have to destroy the pad to get it out which would defeat the purpose IMO.

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #4,114 of 8,051

Regarding the unicorn comment, I think Monoprice will eventually sell earpad upgrade for the m1060, their 8323 had terrible pads and they released upgrade pads for that

May 26, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #4,115 of 8,051
LIke others said, you would destroy the stock pads in the process. Ideally you would need to adhere a plastic piece to the Vegan pad underside that perfectly matched the M1060 driver cutouts. They probably will make a Velour equivalent at some point.

May 26, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #4,116 of 8,051
I tried the same thing that you would do for a Fostex TH-X00, which is using a custom attenuator plate in the inside of the pads to bring up bass without negatively effecting the mids and highs. Difference was very hard to tell...almost no difference unlike the very noticeable difference you get on a TH-X00. Very slightly, ever so slightly, enhancement of bass impact. So it didn't really do much at all.

Got my 2.5mm Impact Audio cable in for the Rev 2...

i-wpCK5pZ.jpg

May 26, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #4,117 of 8,051
I tried the same thing that you would do for a Fostex TH-X00, which is using a custom attenuator plate in the inside of the pads to bring up bass without negatively effecting the mids and highs. Difference was very hard to tell...almost no difference unlike the very noticeable difference you get on a TH-X00. Very slightly, ever so slightly, enhancement of bass impact. So it didn't really do much at all.

Got my 2.5mm Impact Audio cable in for the Rev 2...

i-wpCK5pZ.jpg

wow, that looks amazing. Looks very seemless and the color-combination is stellar. Do you have a link? Couldn't find any with that type of 2.5mm connector on their site, only bigger ones that would look weird (gold tip sticking out of connector and so on).

May 26, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #4,119 of 8,051
Just like I thought, looks like B&H is likely not going to be able to fulfill the orders (most of them anyway). From my most recent chat with B&H regarding the black vegans.

"I am sorry about the delay on this order. Unfortunately at this time we do not have a specific availability date as this item is still on order with the manufacturer. As soon as we have additional information, we will update our website and once in stock, we will ship it & email you."
Quite a different response from when I talked to them over a week ago when they said the would receive more stock from the manufacture by May 25th and fulfill the orders. I ordered on May 3rd, which was when the product paged said "More on the Way, 7-10 days." A few days later the product paged changed to back ordered.

May 26, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #4,120 of 8,051
wow, that looks amazing. Looks very seemless and the color-combination is stellar. Do you have a link? Couldn't find any with that type of 2.5mm connector on their site, only bigger ones that would look weird (gold tip sticking out of connector and so on).

I just messaged Lindsay on Etsy and let him know what I was looking for; that I had a new revision of the M1060 with 2.5mm mono connection that I wanted an 8' cable for and the color choice I wanted ( Charcoal Grey with Imperial Red for right and Black for left). He said he had Eidolic TRRS connectors that he would setup for mono. I told him I wanted the smallest/shortest one and he used the E2.5GC TRRS. If you look at the drop down list for source termination the E2.5GC TRRS is there.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #4,121 of 8,051
I just messaged Lindsey on Etsy and let him know what I was looking for; that I had a new revision of the M1060 with 2.5mm mono connection that I wanted an 8' cable for and the color choice I wanted ( Charcoal Grey with Imperial Red for right and Black for left). He said he had Eidolic TRRS connectors that he would setup for mono. I told him I wanted the smallest/shortest one and he used the E2.5GC TRRS. If you look at the drop down list for source termination the E2.5GC TRRS is there.

cool, thanks for the reply :)

May 26, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #4,122 of 8,051
I just messaged Lindsey on Etsy and let him know what I was looking for; that I had a new revision of the M1060 with 2.5mm mono connection that I wanted an 8' cable for and the color choice I wanted ( Charcoal Grey with Imperial Red for right and Black for left). He said he had Eidolic TRRS connectors that he would setup for mono. I told him I wanted the smallest/shortest one and he used the E2.5GC TRRS. If you look at the drop down list for source termination the E2.5GC TRRS is there.

Can you tell me how much you paid for this cable? I am really interested.

May 26, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #4,123 of 8,051
Can you tell me how much you paid for this cable? I am really interested.
It is cheaper now by over $20 for the MMCX... it was $97 at the time for the MMCX version, which is what the cable cost me (+ shipping of course, even though it's a local business to me: Spring = Houston area). If you message Lindsay he should be able to tell you the price. I ordered it thinking it was still MMCX, then within an hour later it was posted the connecter had changed to 2.5mm mono....messaged Lindsay that apparently connector changed and to hold off until I received my pair for confirmation to do anything, to which he said he had a 4 week lead time for my cable anyways... so we worked it out and I just received the cable in 2 days ago.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #4,124 of 8,051
Just like I thought, looks like B&H is likely not going to be able to fulfill the orders (most of them anyway). From my most recent chat with B&H regarding the black vegans.

"I am sorry about the delay on this order. Unfortunately at this time we do not have a specific availability date as this item is still on order with the manufacturer. As soon as we have additional information, we will update our website and once in stock, we will ship it & email you."
Quite a different response from when I talked to them over a week ago when they said the would receive more stock from the manufacture by May 25th and fulfill the orders. I ordered on May 3rd, which was when the product paged said "More on the Way, 7-10 days." A few days later the product paged changed to back ordered.

Thanks for the update. I was just about to get in touch with them to see what the status was. Really sucks they went from having a set date to now not even confirming if they will ever get any in. I guess I will go ahead with keeping my brown vegans and try them out tonight.

For those that are desperate to get the vegans, I am pretty sure soundapproach.com has the brown ones physically in stock. They seem like they might be the only place in the world at this point that has any, but they are going for the retail $100 price rather than $80, which I got them for a couple weeks ago. However, I can at least vouch for the company as I had a very nice phone conversation with their customer support and they got them sent out to me within a week.

May 26, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #4,125 of 8,051
Monoprice has 20% off sale this Memorial Day weekend. $300 minimum, so M1060 (@ $299.99) plus some other cheap item gets the discount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back