Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 23, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #4,081 of 8,051
Take the front pads off, the driver comes out the front.

Remove the 4 screws that are closest to the wooded edges:

9845177.jpg

Wow, seems quite straightforward, Thanks ostewart! I will update here if there is any progress. The Taobao DIY hp shop seems slow in communication/sending out order tho.

Hamster

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #4,082 of 8,051
I just measured my HE-400 cups and they are pretty much 100mm and my M1060 is about 115mm so it looks like it will work but you may have to bend the yolks a bit to get it around the cup.

I'm tempted to order one now and see if it works. I guess I could always use them on my HE-400...

I ordered. I'm still waiting for replies for my PMs and my order to be shipped. Let me be the guinea pig (or hamster?) so you don't have to.

Hamster

May 24, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #4,084 of 8,051
Thanks in advance. In the spec sheet they mentioned suitable for driver size 100-110mm and m1060 sits right at 110mm driver diameter.

Fcuk, I pulled the trigger. It is just 90rmb anyway, which comes to probably 18-20usd shipped. They probably are exploiting some god forsaken child labor to get it made at this price.

Ain't they gorgeous?

T1_YXCFw0aXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg_320x320q50s150.jpg_.webp

Hamster

Thanks for digging this, looks like a very solid build and that lamb skin head band is very attractive.

Do you think the screw on hinge will fit the wood cup? Seems like a different size/screw to me.

May 24, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #4,085 of 8,051
Thanks for digging this, looks like a very solid build and that lamb skin head band is very attractive.

Do you think the screw on hinge will fit the wood cup? Seems like a different size/screw to me.

why not leave the hinge on, and just fit it to the excisting hinge? Seems like they are fitted similarly. Colors would be off, but if it is purely for comfort, I wouldn't mind the looks

May 24, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #4,086 of 8,051
Would someone mind linking to the store in question? Or do you intend to 'review' them first?

Edit: I'm blind you already linked them here:

http://c.b1wt.com/h.hSae1E?cv=aDOaZF37dEC&sm=76ada6

How do you order from there?

They will ship to a China address. I use a freight forwarder to ship from China to Malaysia. YMMR.

Seems like an inactive store. Been 48 hours, not getting replies nor shipping out my order yet. Irritating.

Hamster

May 24, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #4,087 of 8,051
Anyone know how to make the M560 fit better? It it so loose on my head... I tried bending the metal at top, helped some but it never lasts long... egh... who in gods name designed the M560, its perfect build quality, its just built for giant heads with no way to adjust, sigh.

May 24, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #4,088 of 8,051
could the stock cable be of low quality? just got my new 6ft OCC cable with a 1/4 inch plug, and everything sounds so much clearer. Bass digs deeper, soundstage is wider with amazing imaging and everything sounds sweeter. Could this be placebo? because I've heard so many people calling it snakeoil unless your cable is broken, but now I'm not so sure :S

edit: This cable does make a difference, I'm not even kidding. Listening to Hans Zimmer now and the sub-bass is making the headphones physically move on my head.

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #4,091 of 8,051
could the stock cable be of low quality? just got my new 6ft OCC cable with a 1/4 inch plug, and everything sounds so much clearer. Bass digs deeper, soundstage is wider with amazing imaging and everything sounds sweeter. Could this be placebo? because I've heard so many people calling it snakeoil unless your cable is broken, but now I'm not so sure :S

edit: This cable does make a difference, I'm not even kidding. Listening to Hans Zimmer now and the sub-bass is making the headphones physically move on my head.

Were you using the stock 1/4" adapter? They seem to be defective, there have been a number of reports of the adapter being bad. The stock cable itself seems fine.

May 24, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #4,093 of 8,051
Finally got my brown vegan pads. I'm guessing it may be one of the first vegan pads back out in the wild since April. I'm so tempted to try them out, but will hold off and wait up to a week to see if B&H comes through with the black ones for cheaper. If so I will just return these or perhaps sell them in case anyone particularly wants the brown ones and I got them for $80 instead of the $100 everyone is selling them for.

jwNZVEk.jpg

May 24, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #4,094 of 8,051
why not leave the hinge on, and just fit it to the excisting hinge? Seems like they are fitted similarly. Colors would be off, but if it is purely for comfort, I wouldn't mind the looks

That's my thought exactly. I think it's much easier and safer than trying to pull out the drivers from the wood rings. I really hope this works and is an improvement over the standard headband. In the meantime I'm going to search for other headband alternatives, in case the store is dead as Tysun the mighty Hamster said.

May 25, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #4,095 of 8,051
That's my thought exactly. I think it's much easier and safer than trying to pull out the drivers from the wood rings. I really hope this works and is an improvement over the standard headband. In the meantime I'm going to search for other headband alternatives, in case the store is dead as Tysun the mighty Hamster said.

3 days. No reply from the store. Such a shame because I don't see anything nearly as interesting as this digging around Taobao / Aliexpress.

Hamster

T2oqSUXu4XXXXXXXXX_!!30516078.jpg_450x10000q50s150.jpg_.webp

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back