Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 26, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #4,126 of 8,051
S
Thanks for the update. I was just about to get in touch with them to see what the status was. Really sucks they went from having a set date to now not even confirming if they will ever get any in. I guess I will go ahead with keeping my brown vegans and try them out tonight.

For those that are desperate to get the vegans, I am pretty sure soundapproach.com has the brown ones physically in stock. They seem like they might be the only place in the world at this point that has any, but they are going for the retail $100 price rather than $80, which I got them for a couple weeks ago. However, I can at least vouch for the company as I had a very nice phone conversation with their customer support and they got them sent out to me within a week.

Yup ... I'd have to be "desperate" to deal with opportunistic gougers ... Even at the original $65 they aren't cheap, but tacking on another 55% ?? That's just not right in my books.

May 26, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #4,128 of 8,051
Monoprice has 20% off sale this Memorial Day weekend. $300 minimum, so M1060 (@ $299.99) plus some other cheap item gets the discount.

I'd be shocked if they're not in the list of items that are excluded. They have been every time so far (few exceptions for members before Monoprice caught it).

May 26, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #4,132 of 8,051
Thanks !! You still finding that the improvement is large ?? Strictly low end ??

It's minimal at this point, been going back and forth and I can't say for sure if it's worth investing in. They do make the sound slightly better, but on the other hand the cable is annoying to wear because of the bigger connectors (they keep hitting my shoulders..).

May 26, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #4,134 of 8,051
nonono, I own the m1060's and couldn't be more happy, just curious to hear other people's perspective if they have tried other headphones that are priced much higher :)
I don't have an X.. I do have the HEK v1. There is really no way that I would do a comparison. A three thousand dollar set of headphones compared to a 300 dollar set. Do you seriously want to hear that. To me it makes no sense.

Be happy with your 1060s I don't think you can touch them for the price... Maybe the 400i when you can get them for $250. For just the tonality I like them more than my HE 560s. That is about as far as I would go with comparisons.

Mark Twain said: "comparison is the death of joy". Keep that in mind and save your budget.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #4,135 of 8,051
Yup ... I'd have to be "desperate" to deal with opportunistic gougers ... Even at the original $65 they aren't cheap, but tacking on another 55% ?? That's just not right in my books.

To be fair, $100 is how much the brown ones were selling for on Audeze's website and the same price B&H photo is selling the brown ones for (on "special order"). So if they are really the only ones to have any in stock, at least they aren't jacking the prices above their retail value, like what retailers were doing when the first batch of M1060's sold out.

I'd be shocked if they're not in the list of items that are excluded. They have been every time so far (few exceptions for members before Monoprice caught it).

Just checked, they are on the exclusion list. Gotta keep waiting for Monoprice to screw up on future sales, and it might be a small time window. I got $65 off from that, but I was checking for discounts like a madman haha

May 26, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #4,136 of 8,051
To be fair, $100 is how much the brown ones were selling for on Audeze's website and the same price B&H photo is selling the brown ones for (on "special order"). So if they are really the only ones to have any in stock, at least they aren't jacking the prices above their retail value, like what retailers were doing when the first batch of M1060's sold out.

Just checked, they are on the exclusion list. Gotta keep waiting for Monoprice to screw up on future sales, and it might be a small time window. I got $65 off from that, but I was checking for discounts like a madman haha

IMO the M1060 is worth every penny of $300. One of the few headphones I can say that about. The thing I'm worried about is the Vegan pads being discontinued. Hopefully Monoprice releases their own.

This may be a response from Audeze as the vegans really bring the M1060 into their LCD2 AND LCD3 sound range at a huge discount. They've probably sold more Vegan pads since the M1060 release, then they ever have. This may prevent them losing sales at their current prices.

Monoprice must see the market for pad rolling, which I imagine has huge profit margins. The stock M1060 is great, but Vegan pads and paper towel mod make them extremely special. Hopefully another revision comes, addressing the need for the paper towel mod, and an option for Vegan pads, even at an increased price, would be extraordinary!

Imagine a $400 M1060 special edition with current AND vegan pads, and maybe a few materials for sound changes like the paper towel mod.

They also need a better case. The huge monstrosity they come with now is a joke. Maybe have an option for upgraded case.

Monoprice is sitting on a gold mine if they create a few options as accessories. I know they view this thread, and I hope they are thinking like me and a few others. They obviously listen with V2 happening so quick.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #4,137 of 8,051
IMO the M1060 is worth every penny of $300. One of the few headphones I can say that about. The thing I'm worried about is the Vegan pads being discontinued. Hopefully Monoprice releases their own.

This may be a response from Audeze as the vegans really bring the M1060 into their LCD2 AND LCD3 sound range at a huge discount. They've probably sold more Vegan pads since the M1060 release, then they ever have. This may prevent them losing sales at their current prices.

Monoprice must see the market for pad rolling, which I imagine has huge profit margins. The stock M1060 is great, but Vegan pads and paper towel mod make them extremely special. Hopefully another revision comes, addressing the need for the paper towel mod, and an option for Vegan pads, even at an increased price, would be extraordinary!

I tend to agree wholeheartedly. At this point, mods or not, these things are a screaming deal!!

May 26, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #4,138 of 8,051
I am totally kicking myself right now. I have (had?) a Very good sounding JRC4556AD based cmoy headphone amp that totally woke up these headphones (and my T50RPs). There really was no comparison - they are a great little tin can amp. Altoids FTW.

Mine are of the 18v variety, and really drive things nicely. The soundstage improves, the separation is better, highs and lows, the works. But I was experimenting with them (tried wiring up an AC adapter to the battery terminals) and now they are likely fried. I do not know what is busted - it could be the op amp, or something else, but I am very sad. There is no obvious physical damage, but I hear pretty much only static (with a very quiet music-like sound).

In a couple of weeks I am going to be traveling and I want a headphone amp for this. I am considering ordering a replacement op amp, and may repair this thing someday, but I want to have something in hand before I travel early June.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for something <$100 that drives planars well? From googling it seems the Topping NX3 may be the best, but it's possible I have missed something? I can't drop as much as I might like to on an amp, so if there is a good one that can easily double as a desktop that would be ideal. Based on what I am reading the ultra-affordable NX1a might not have enough juice for these.

Good instrument separation is really important to me. Bass boost not really; clean, clear output is a must (that gets very loud, though I hopefully won't need it).

So should I go the Topping or FiiO route or get another cmoy? I am open to ideas here. I know that there are diminishing returns in stuff like this, so I am trying to hit that right spot on the price/performance curve.

Thanks for your advice!

Edit: My wife will allow me to 'splurge' on the Topping NX5. Is this the best choice at $109? Based on specs alone, it seems pretty compelling. Thanks!

Edit2: And there is also the NX4. I have never felt a compelling need for a dac, but it could be interesting. And the specs and measurements are obnoxiously close also.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #4,139 of 8,051
I've been a part of Head-Fi for years. My wallet has been pillaged in getting amps, dacs, headphones, earphones, cables, and every possible piece of audio equipment you can imagine. I literally have a storage cube of headphones and earphones. I donated the other drawers of earphones and headphones to Veterans. The M1060 modded is my favorite yet. Surpasses my old HE-500 in enjoyment easily.

I'm glad I purchased the "expensive" $60 vegans when I did. I really hope Monoprice comes out with their own version for $20. It will only help them drive even more sales.

Vegan pads, paper towel, balanced cable, balanced amp. Do it. It still costs a small fortune, but it is 1/4th the price or less of a similar near TOTL setup.

May 26, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #4,140 of 8,051

Imagine a $400 M1060 special edition with current AND vegan pads, and maybe a few materials for sound changes like the paper towel mod.

They also need a better case. The huge monstrosity they come with now is a joke. Maybe have an option for upgraded case.

Monoprice is sitting on a gold mine if they create a few options as accessories. I know they view this thread, and I hope they are thinking like me and a few others. They obviously listen with V2 happening so quick.
Maybe someone with contact higher up at Monoprice can pass this message over :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back