Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 3, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #3,513 of 8,051
YAfNfra.jpg

Look at the grills on my v2 received last week. Noticed any difference?

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #3,515 of 8,051
@cskippy and others who own this and the HD 650...I'll be making my order for the M1060's ASAP, with the vegan pads to soon follow after. Would I have any reason to look at the HD 650 after this purchase or not? If not this will be my one and only open back headphone for some time. Looking for just 3 - 5 killer headphone purchases...(Already ordered MrSpeakers Aeon, Fostex TH-X00, and will be ordering the M1060 ASAP). Heard from the grapevine that the HD 650's are terrible for listening to rock music, which is what I mainly listen to, among other high energy types of music, and not much for the soft genres, though I do like to listen to music with great vocals such as Adele...which I'm also told the HD 650's are king with vocals...A little help please...

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #3,516 of 8,051
May 3, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #3,518 of 8,051
@cskippy and others who own this and the HD 650...I'll be making my order for the M1060's this week, with the vegan pads to soon follow after. Would I have any reason to look at the HD 650 after this purchase or not? If not this will be my one and only open back headphone for some time. Looking for just 3 - 5 killer headphone purchases...(Already ordered MrSpeakers Aeon, Fostex TH-X00, and will be ordering the M1060 this week). Heard from the grapevine that the HD 650's are terrible for listening to rock music, which is what I mainly listen to, among other high energy types of music, and not much for the soft genres, though I do like to listen to music with great vocals such as Adele...which I'm also told the HD 650's are king with vocals...A little help please...

While I don't have a M1060 yet (still waiting for QC issues on V2 to be noted/sorted out), I have a TH-600, HD650, LCD-2f, and a few others and have sold my TH-X00 and HD600. For rock its either RS2e, HD700 or custom Nhoord or Ypsilon builds which I would usually reach for. And for female vocals the Nhoord or Ypsilon are better than the HD650, even using a BH Crack for the HD650 its behind the Nhoord or Ypsilon.. Haven't heard the Aeon yet but I didn't care for the Ether C so the Aeon is not high on my list to listen to yet but who knows, a friend bringing over her Ether C Flow in a few months so I may change my mind on the Aeon.

May 3, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #3,519 of 8,051
May 3, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #3,521 of 8,051
@cskippy and others who own this and the HD 650...I'll be making my order for the M1060's this week, with the vegan pads to soon follow after. Would I have any reason to look at the HD 650 after this purchase or not? If not this will be my one and only open back headphone for some time. Looking for just 3 - 5 killer headphone purchases...(Already ordered MrSpeakers Aeon, Fostex TH-X00, and will be ordering the M1060 this week). Heard from the grapevine that the HD 650's are terrible for listening to rock music, which is what I mainly listen to, among other high energy types of music, and not much for the soft genres, though I do like to listen to music with great vocals such as Adele...which I'm also told the HD 650's are king with vocals...A little help please...

I think your ground is covered with the TH-X00 and M1060 ,, ( i own both )

TH-X00 is amazing with rock ,, very dynamic , with the type of bass needed for rock music ,

M1060 is perfect with any other genera ,, more true more details , its a planar headphone after all ,

I didnt hear the Aeon but I ordered the ether flow c , and i am waiting it within few next days, i heard they are very similar , so if you would like to know if its worth to get the M1060 with the Aeon , pm me later

Dont bother with HD650 ,, get a good Amplifier ..

May 3, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #3,522 of 8,051
With the new layout of HF I suggest someone try to compile a master list of resources on how to paper towel mod these, because I can't seem to figure out how to search and find the posts I saw before any more...

May 3, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #3,523 of 8,051
Thanks for the feedback. It'll be more like an extra $170 though because the Vegan pads are apparently a must.

Yep, $470 for 106mm planar headphones. There is a wide range of opinions on this thread, and I've probably only read half of it. I have been into sound quality for a long time but there are many on these forums that have way better analytical ears than I do. I also don't know the terminology as well as others, right now cskippy is my new best friend with his paper towel suggestion, and MrTie84 is killing it with his graphs (thanks gents).

I am a broke audiophile. Maybe just an audio junkie? The labels don't matter. The experience of leaning back on my couch listening to music I've enjoyed for years, now, in these headphones is giving me chills. It's like hearing it for the first time... for $470. Yes. Yes, more please. I can't get enough. I don't have $$$$ to throw down on Audeze headphones and, yeah, technically these are the second planar headphones I have experienced. I don't even have the vegan pads on these and they are entirely worth it to me.

This to me is like a tastefully modified mid-$50k car pulling up to a $120k car at the track and loosing by a half a second. Yeah he or she lost but paid half the money and still ran an 11 second quarter mile. I'll take that and the extra $60k any day with my current financial situation.

On another note, I am pretty sure Zeos knows his hearing on the top end is gone. He mentions it on his videos. Haha, I wonder if he has taken time to more analytically listen to these. I'd have trouble making time if I had his collection of headphones, amps, dacs... and those Ohm Walsh floor standing speakers. Say what you will about his analytical process, or lack there of, he is entertaining and has a fantastic playground. =)

May 3, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #3,524 of 8,051
With the new layout of HF I suggest someone try to compile a master list of resources on how to paper towel mod these, because I can't seem to figure out how to search and find the posts I saw before any more...

I have been doing a Google Site search to find things in this tread.
  1. Actually goto google.com
  2. Type in what you are looking for then "site:http://(thethreadurl)"
Example: paper towel cskippy site:https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/monoprice-monolith-m1060-and-m560-planar-headphones.820107/

That trick works on any site and is better than most websites native search anyway. Hope that works for you.

May 3, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #3,525 of 8,051

I like switching between my HD650 and M1060. I think they both have a place in a collection and are complements to each other. Their presentations are similar but both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back