Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 3, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #3,526 of 8,051
Hi guys,

I have ordered a pair of ref.2, boarded the hype train! But $65-80USD for a pair of pads is a little beyond me. With shipping to Malaysia a pair would cost close to $100USD which is slightly beyond sanity. I would like to try out @cskippy's mod but wish to cheap out on pads expenditure, here's what I found on Aliexpress - A pair of Hifiman Velour pads for $15 shipping included. Opinions?

( Velour Velvet Replacement Cushion ear pads earpads cover pillow For HIFIMAN HE300 HE400 HE500 HE560 HE4 HE6 HE5 HE5LE Headphones
http://s.aliexpress.com/EfIJRfim )

May 3, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #3,527 of 8,051
Man, the HF forum revamp totally killed mobile device functionality. Can't reply with quotes.

In response to Josh, I borrowed a hd650 and bought a m1060 V2. They are different enough that when I listen to the hd650, I wish it has more bass. When I listen to the m1060, I wish it has mid and treble like the hd650.

Note my m1060 is stock pads and only has paper towel mid

I think I'll pick up a pair of hd6xx in the near future

Edit: due to brain burn in, if I must pick one pair right now, it'll be the m1060. That hd650 mid tho... :wink:

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #3,528 of 8,051
In response to Tysun,

I just ordered a pair of angled hm5 velour pads just to satisfy the cheapskate in me. If it improves SQ, I'll look into the pads you found

May 3, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #3,530 of 8,051
Hi guys,

I have ordered a pair of ref.2, boarded the hype train! But $65-80USD for a pair of pads is a little beyond me. With shipping to Malaysia a pair would cost close to $100USD which is slightly beyond sanity. I would like to try out @cskippy's mod but wish to cheap out on pads expenditure, here's what I found on Aliexpress - A pair of Hifiman Velour pads for $15 shipping included. Opinions?

( Velour Velvet Replacement Cushion ear pads earpads cover pillow For HIFIMAN HE300 HE400 HE500 HE560 HE4 HE6 HE5 HE5LE Headphones
http://s.aliexpress.com/EfIJRfim )

Just a suggestion: Before people jump on the modding/new pads train and incur additional expenses right out of the gate, I would encourage people to (1) do not even listen to the headphones until a 24-hour burn-in (put your music library on shuffle at decent volume and walk away), and then (2) listen to them stock and/or see what you can do via equalization.

Everyone's ears and aural perception are different. You may discover that the extra $50-100 for pads and mods are not required. Just because person X said that Wiffleblinkie Sooperdooper Pads made a world of difference to them, doesn't necessarily mean they will work for you. KISS principle... Start simple and only mod if deficiencies present themselves.

Buying extra pads before ever even hearing the phones seems to be putting the cart before the horse.

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #3,532 of 8,051
@heavyharmonies I totally agree with you. I will give 'em at least a good 100 hours of ear on/burn in before doing anything silly to the phones. But given the rave that kept appearing again and again for the past 100 pages or so, anyone would at least be curious about how a pair of velour pads would sound like on the 1060s, even if one is happy with how the stock pads sound.

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #3,533 of 8,051
I think your ground is covered with the TH-X00 and M1060 ,, ( i own both )

TH-X00 is amazing with rock ,, very dynamic , with the type of bass needed for rock music ,

M1060 is perfect with any other genera ,, more true more details , its a planar headphone after all ,

I didnt hear the Aeon but I ordered the ether flow c , and i am waiting it within few next days, i heard they are very similar , so if you would like to know if its worth to get the M1060 with the Aeon , pm me later

Dont bother with HD650 ,, get a good Amplifier ..

I own the Schiit Jotunheim w/dac, though was thinking about picking up the Vallhalla 2 or Dark Voice as an alternate tube amp a couple of months down the line. M1060...definitely ordering ASAP. And thanks.

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #3,534 of 8,051
Just a suggestion: Before people jump on the modding/new pads train and incur additional expenses right out of the gate, I would encourage people to (1) do not even listen to the headphones until a 24-hour burn-in (put your music library on shuffle at decent volume and walk away), and then (2) listen to them stock and/or see what you can do via equalization.

Everyone's ears and aural perception are different. You may discover that the extra $50-100 for pads and mods are not required. Just because person X said that Wiffleblinkie Sooperdooper Pads made a world of difference to them, doesn't necessarily mean they will work for you. KISS principle... Start simple and only mod if deficiencies present themselves.

Buying extra pads before ever even hearing the phones seems to be putting the cart before the horse.

Another option is to simply wait until folks with disposable income buy and try multiple types of pads and find some cheaper alternatives to the Audeze Vegans.

May 3, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #3,535 of 8,051
Another pad tested, Hifiman Pleather. All stock damping.

Red= Stock. Green= Angled Pleather HM5. Yellow=Vegan. Purple= Hifiman Pleather.

hfpleather.jpg

May 3, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #3,537 of 8,051

I am using a Hifiman ring with the tabs pointed into the HM5 to give it a rounder shape and stiffen up the pad. It's just a tiny bit too small to cover the entire cup.

is the ring or the pad getting in the way of where the driver outputs the audio? or is it just not as big as the cup, another thing, have you had the chance to test the velours to see how do they compare to the audeze vegans?

May 3, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #3,538 of 8,051
I don't own the velours, I MAY buy them eventually, but I'm honestly more interested in testing the angled hybrid or a focuspad/A first. The Angled velour will prob measure a good deal different than the vegan. Velour is def different than micro-suede, the Hm5 are also smaller pads and squishier than the vegans. the HM5 may block the driver outlet a tiny tiny bit at the top and bottom. My advice for the moment is stick to stock or go vegan, unless you want to play around. I am still enjoying the more lively sound signature of the Pleather HM5 though, but pleather feels gross to me. If any one has like any spare pads they would like measured I would be very happy to do so to collect a body of information in the thread, and would ship them back promptly.

May 3, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #3,539 of 8,051
I did not realize the Focuspad/A ring was glued into the pad, so I guess I can forget that, I'm not dropping $40 and trimming the tabs to make them useless for resale on an experimental hunch.

May 3, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #3,540 of 8,051
I did not realize the Focuspad/A ring was glued into the pad, so I guess I can forget that, I'm not dropping $40 and trimming the tabs to make them useless for resale on an experimental hunch.
ha, yes, I was about to say that I could send you my spare focuspads without the rings, which are mutilated as i removed them (for use on the pleather HM5's, which I no longer own). i even tried to glue the rings back on, but it was more trouble than its worth.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back