Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 2, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #3,500 of 8,051
MrSpeakers and Zack of ZMF Headphones used to both modify the Fostex T50RP before they started offering their own unique designs.

Guys, it's not going to happen.

May 2, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #3,501 of 8,051
M8aHUrx.jpg

Tried paper towel mod with black napkins available in the party section at Walmart - they were the only black paper towel-like object available. Don't bother with these. Added some wonkiness to lower midrange and well as completely killed the subtle high treble sparkle these cans have. Did nothing for 4-5k peaking, although afaik that isn't something the paper towel mod will help with even when done right.

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #3,502 of 8,051
M8aHUrx.jpg

Tried paper towel mod with black napkins available in the party section at Walmart - they were they only black paper towel-like object available. Don't bother with these. Added some wonkiness to lower midrange and well as completely killed the subtle high treble sparkle these cans have. Did nothing for 4-5k peaking, although afaik that isn't something the paper towel mod will help with even when done right.

Haha I just bought similar napkin from dollar store, can't really comment on sound though.

May 2, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #3,504 of 8,051
Hey guys, has anyone tried what Z did? He just removed the foam inserts and left them like that.

I would worry taking the foam out would allow dust and particles on to the membrane long term which could cause damage or negatively effect sound quality. The foam acts as both a dampener and a dust filter. I think a few people earlier in this thread tried it and thought removing the foam detracted from sound quality. I forgot what exactly the effects were.

May 2, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #3,505 of 8,051
I would worry taking the foam out would allow dust and particles on to the membrane long term which could cause damage or negatively effect sound quality. The foam acts as both a dampener and a dust filter. I think a few people earlier in this thread tried it and thought removing the foam detracted from sound quality. I forgot what exactly the effects were.

Thats actually a good point thanks.
I just got them today and I read people removing the foam or (more popular route) adding paper towel. Thinking about which way should I go. I'm coming from the SHP9500

May 2, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #3,507 of 8,051
Thats actually a good point thanks.
I just got them today and I read people removing the foam or (more popular route) adding paper towel. Thinking about which way should I go. I'm coming from the SHP9500

I don't see any harm in trying both briefly, but as others have already suggested, keep the foams (or felt) on the driver for long-term use. You may risk your warranty if the drivers are found to be compromised from debris. Afterall, consider how much dust accumulates on everyday stuff we just leave out and don't dust regularly.

+1 for the paper towel mod with stock/vegan pads. Also, I've tried without foam and didn't like it at all - made the 1060s sound rather harsh, and was really fatiguing for me even during a short >30min listen. I wasn't surprised to hear that Z Reviews liked it that way... my hunch is that he's overcompensating for some moderate/serious hearing loss in the high registers and maybe doesn't know it...

May 2, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #3,508 of 8,051
+1. Foam removal makes crappy stock sound shittier. You loose bass, increase 1kHz bump, and create even more messed up treble. I believe @MrTie84 posted a graph confirming what I mention.

May 2, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #3,509 of 8,051
I don't see any harm in trying both briefly, but as others have already suggested, keep the foams (or felt) on the driver for long-term use. You may risk your warranty if the drivers are found to be compromised from debris. Afterall, consider how much dust accumulates on everyday stuff we just leave out and don't dust regularly.

+1 for the paper towel mod with stock/vegan pads. Also, I've tried without foam and didn't like it at all - made the 1060s sound rather harsh, and was really fatiguing for me even during a short >30min listen. I wasn't surprised to hear that Z Reviews liked it that way... my hunch is that he's overcompensating for some moderate/serious hearing loss in the high registers and maybe doesn't know it...

I been playing around since I posted. No foam didn't do it for me I agree with you and the other guy that its pretty harsh. Now paper towel made me feel like I got all more mid bass or bass in general...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back