Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 2, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #2,521 of 8,051
Paper towel outside still looks the best.  IME, you want a nice downward sloping response, not a boosted bass and rising treble.  I might try some other mods but I'm so damn happy with my initial results that it might be better left alone.  

Apr 3, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #2,523 of 8,051

Interesting results. If I read this right, the paper inside may well be the way to go.
I am not quite sure how well the graphs correlate with my hearing... but that curve looks like less midbass emphasis and maybe smoother top end..
Nothing but towel... maybe not as nice... YES?

Try all available options and go with whatever sounds best to your ears.  It's all free to try and completely reversible.  Simple as that.  

Apr 3, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #2,524 of 8,051
Hi, i saw that some of you are talking about some pad mod. Can some one direct me to the post on how to do the pad mod and what is the benefit of doing the pad mod?

I also noticed that 1060s seem to sound similar to audeze lcd-x expect that lcd x seem to be more smooth and cold. Is there anyway to mod 1060 to sound more cold and smooth?

Thank you.

Apr 3, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #2,526 of 8,051
  Hi, i saw that some of you are talking about some pad mod. Can some one direct me to the post on how to do the pad mod and what is the benefit of doing the pad mod?

I also noticed that 1060s seem to sound similar to audeze lcd-x expect that lcd x seem to be more smooth and cold. Is there anyway to mod 1060 to sound more cold and smooth?

Thank you.

This is as close to reference I can make them, unless I decide to do irreversible hardware mods...

Results of current config:

Audeze Vegan pads:
08cc9455_M1060withAudezeLeatherFreePads.jpeg

3 inch or 7mm paper towel circle placed under the grill but on top of the foam outside.  You can try a black napkin if it suits your tastes better:

4c57a6bc_M1060papertowelcircle.jpeg

Red Trace is stock M1060, Green trace is M1060 with Audeze vegan pads and 3 inch paper towel:

1fcb0b47_RedM1060StockGreenM1060Audezepadspluspapertoweloveroutsidedriver.png

Apr 3, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #2,527 of 8,051
Anyone still listen to the m560? Really want to know how it does compared to the m1060.

I know there haven't been impressions on it but people I trust say it's kind of **** in comparison.  It's worth it to save up for the M1060 and Audeze pads.  It's like an LCD series headphone for half price with a 5 year warranty.  

Apr 3, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #2,529 of 8,051
Apr 3, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #2,532 of 8,051
You can use the glue to attach the Audeze pads if they don't come with double sided adhesive.  What I'm saying is stock pads are leather, which is reflective.  Changing the pads to micro suede or cloth helps eliminate reflections which will cause peaks and dips in the frequency response.  You said you wanted warmer and smoother, the pad change will do that.  I personally also added the paper towel on the outside to bring back some treble as it was lacking for my tastes.  

Apr 3, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #2,534 of 8,051
  You can use the glue to attach the Audeze pads if they don't come with double sided adhesive.  What I'm saying is stock pads are leather, which is reflective.  Changing the pads to micro suede or cloth helps eliminate reflections which will cause peaks and dips in the frequency response.  You said you wanted warmer and smoother, the pad change will do that.  I personally also added the paper towel on the outside to bring back some treble as it was lacking for my tastes.  

So, there should be no problem switching back to the stock pads if someone doesn't like the change? That is, does removing the stock pads or the vegan pads cause any damage to the pads themselves? Might have to try it if it is easily reversible (obviously, the paper towel is easily reversible, just worrying about the pads)...  

Apr 3, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #2,535 of 8,051

So, there should be no problem switching back to the stock pads if someone doesn't like the change? That is, does removing the stock pads or the vegan pads cause any damage to the pads themselves? Might have to try it if it is easily reversible (obviously, the paper towel is easily reversible, just worrying about the pads)...  

No, it should be completely reversible if you're gentle while removing the pads.I was not as careful as I should have been and the cloth backing of the stock pads came off. Partly my fault, because I was confused if it was supposed to remain on the driver, or on the pad. It should stay with the pad.

The leather-free Audeze pads should come with a ring of adhesive.......but even if not, the stock adhesive stays on the M1060 driver after stock pad removal, and you just smush the Audeze pads on in their place.

Badda bing, badda boom. Done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back