Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 3, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #2,551 of 8,051
Far as what I have lying around as a known quality I just measured pleather HE-500 and we can compare versus Marv/Purrin's at like scale, granted I limited to 1/12 octave smoothing vs his 1/9th.

Apr 3, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #2,556 of 8,051
@cskippy

Tried a transparency about as close I could get, to give better sense of differences.

must be some difference between ARTA and REW my 1/12th looks far smoother than his 1/9th. All my dips are more exaggerated.

Apr 3, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #2,557 of 8,051
The 1/9th smoothing appears to be for distortion or maybe CSDs not shown.  That is definitely not 1/9 smoothing, it's probably 1/24.

Dips and such are related to positioning and placement plus coupler interactions.  Thus, differences between measuring setups.  

Apr 3, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #2,560 of 8,051
So are these honestly comparable to the LCD2 or is that the hype talking?

It's so much personal preference.  I might like the HD650 or modded M1060 more than LCD2/3/4 etc.  After a certain price point it's all just different flavors of ice cream.  
  Has anyone purchased a 3rd party case for the m1060 yet? I'm looking for something that will let me travel with these but I'm not sure what'll fit. Mr. Speakers headphone case?

I'm not sure if that will work, it might be too small or you might get pad compression if your're using the Audeze pads.  

I know people have had great luck using the pelican cases, something I'm looking to pick up soon.  They are bulkier but offer much better protection and can work well in stow away on planes.  

Apr 3, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #2,561 of 8,051
one more overlay for fun @cskippy

Red=HD650
Yellow=Cskippy's measurment of Cskippy mod
Green=My measurment of Cskippy's mod
Blue=My measurement of my mod.

Despite weirdness above 10k and completely different couplers, mics, and drivers. your measurement of your mod, and my measurement of your mod are fairly close, below 10khz.

I don't personally like the scale you use, as it makes fairly large +/- db swings look minor to me. Either way I think we can safely say accounting for driver variance and position we fairly compare measurements between our system under 10khz.

Apr 3, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #2,563 of 8,051
The reason I keep the scale I do is so I can see how the frequency response works as a whole.  When you zoom in so much that all the little peaks and valleys show, you fixate on those instead of the overall coherency.  Believe me, I've been there.  Your ears don't work that way.  I am a recording/mixing engineer and I critique my professional friends mastering.  

I'm not without bias or personal preference.  My ideal frequency response is akin to the B&K Curve, or a gentle roll off after 200Hz.  I can match my headphones to this curve and compare them VERY favorably to my speakers also matched (using mic in free air on stand, not coupler).  

Look at this graph and tell me you hear the headphones how they look:

It presents great detail for analysis but is nowhere close to how I perceive them.

Now here is my usual range:

This to me already has quite obvious bumps and dips that are unacceptable for a perfect frequency response, but are damn closer than stock.

Just sharing my thought process...

Apr 3, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #2,564 of 8,051
  It's so much personal preference.  I might like the HD650 or modded M1060 more than LCD2/3/4 etc.  After a certain price point it's all just different flavors of ice cream.  
I'm not sure if that will work, it might be too small or you might get pad compression if your're using the Audeze pads.  

I know people have had great luck using the pelican cases, something I'm looking to pick up soon.  They are bulkier but offer much better protection and can work well in stow away on planes.  

Yeah I initially thought pelican cases as well, but the boxy form factor doesn't really work well for the shape of the M1060s.

I have a Pelican case for my HD800 and there's no way a M1060 would fit in a 1300 case. Might barely fit in a 1400, but at that point the case is already bigger than the hat box the M1060 ships in. Looking for something much smaller and more compact. Any compact case for Hifiman stuff it might fit in?

Apr 3, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #2,565 of 8,051
So are these honestly comparable to the LCD2 or is that the hype talking?

Modded Cskippy 1060's are every bit as enjoyable as an LCD-2. In fact, I enjoy them more sonically as well as offering improved comfort.

No hype train on this one, these headphones are thoroughly and fully satisfying.

These are a high end beautifully musical headphone at a mid-tier price. Monoprice made a total killer headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back