Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 2, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #2,506 of 8,051
Don't I need an amp for them?

That's a tricky question. They can be driven to normal listening levels straight from a phone or your computer's sound card. But they will certainly be improved by a decent amp. And a decent source. All of the standard considerations. If you are willing to spend $250 on cans, it would seem that you are looking for audio quality that is better than what would come straight from a phone or computer. There are lots of pretty decent but inexpensive DAC/Amps out there (e.g., Fiio E10K, Schiit Fulla, and so on).  

Apr 2, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #2,507 of 8,051
That's a tricky question. They can be driven to normal listening levels straight from a phone or your computer's sound card. But they will certainly be improved by a decent amp. And a decent source. All of the standard considerations. If you are willing to spend $250 on cans, it would seem that you are looking for audio quality that is better than what would come straight from a phone or computer. There are lots of pretty decent but inexpensive DAC/Amps out there (e.g., Fiio E10K, Schiit Fulla, and so on).  

I'll see If I can save up $100 more dollars then. Thanks for the help!

Apr 2, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #2,508 of 8,051
Not hype -- had them both and just tested to see which I liked more. The loser got sold. Been doing that for a few months with various models. You might also try the K7XXs ($199), but I find them super muddy and boring. They got booted by the M1060s as well. 

Look, it depends what you like. If you like a lot of treble along with a big fat bass rumble (and you don't care too much about accuracy), the X2s might be the cans for you. If you prefer something more neutral and warm and detailed, then the M1060s are likely to fit the bill. To me, it's a no-brainer to save up $50 more for the M1060s.

I actually had the K712 before with a decent amp (Micca Origen +) and I didn't like them at all. Are the K712 similar sound signature to the Monoliths 1060? If so, I might go ahead and get the X2s.

Apr 2, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #2,512 of 8,051
I actually had the K712 before with a decent amp (Micca Origen +) and I didn't like them at all. Are the K712 similar sound signature to the Monoliths 1060? If so, I might go ahead and get the X2s.

I haven't tried the the K712, but I have owned K701 (a long time ago) in addition to the K7XX. Didn't really care for either of them. K701 seemed brittle and thin, lacking bass and sort of sterile. It's hard to describe how the M1060 sound different except that they don't sound anything like either of the AKGs I've tried. They are detailed without shoving treble down your throat. Bass is rock solid. Vocals are warm and rich. And they give a wonderful sense of being immersed in the middle of the music.

Micca Origen + will drive M1060s with no problems at all.

Apr 2, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #2,513 of 8,051
I haven't tried the the K712, but I have owned K701 (a long time ago) in addition to the K7XX. Didn't really care for either of them. K701 seemed brittle and thin, lacking bass and sort of sterile. It's hard to describe how the M1060 sound different except that they don't sound anything like either of the AKGs I've tried. They are detailed without shoving treble down your throat. Bass is rock solid. Vocals are warm and rich. And they give a wonderful sense of being immersed in the middle of the music.

Micca Origen + will drive M1060s with no problems at all.

Thanks. Appreciate all the help.

Apr 2, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #2,514 of 8,051
I opened up my M1060s today to put some wood oil and stain on the inside, and to try the paper towel mod and do some measurements. One thing I noticed is that it looked like the edge of my cups had already had a very small amount of wood finish/stain on it. Maybe this is why mine has not cracked yet. It certainly looks more finished than the previous pictures of the inside. See photo:

I went ahead and applied some Wood Stain/Finish on it. I used Minwax Red Mohagany staining pen. It's just a couple bucks at the store. It's the same color stain as outside of the cups.

Anyway, I'm going to play around with some modding and hopefully post some results later!

Apr 2, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #2,515 of 8,051

Gray is Audeze Vegan Pads only.
Blue is Cskippy's mod. Vegan Pads. Bounty white paper towel on the outside, between foam and grill.
Green is reverse. Vegan Pads. Bounty white paper towel on the inside of foam between driver and foam.

Note: These are with Schiit Fulla 2 DAC to Hybrid Tube Pre-Amp (GE JAN 5654W tubes) to Schiit Magni 2 Amp.

There's a slightly sharper spike up between 4-5Khz and higher upper treble response with the towel on the inside of the foam, otherwise, it looks very similar.

Re-Tested the Paper inside of Foam mod with Solid State (red) -vs- Hybrid Tube (green) setup
SS is Schiit Fulla 2 by itself
Tube setup is same as above.

Apr 2, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #2,516 of 8,051
Very nice!  You can see more wiggles and irregularities with the paper towel under the foam, which makes sense.  What size paper towel did you end up using?

Apr 2, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #2,517 of 8,051
  Very nice!  You can see more wiggles and irregularities with the paper towel under the foam, which makes sense.  What size paper towel did you end up using?

I traced the black foam to the paper towel, so it's the same shape/diameter as that. I'll may play around with it some more. I also have craft felt as well at my disposal. I may use this to start re-modding my T50RP Mk3s and my open alpha project too.

The Alphas require me to make a new trace on the PM driver though since I accidentally took off the solder pad, and I haven't been able to get a good durable bond to the board. Running out of copper to work with too. :frowning2:

Anyway, thanks you all for the help on building a measuring unit. It's pretty down right basic but it's a start and fun. :)

Apr 2, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #2,518 of 8,051

I traced the black foam to the paper towel, so it's the same shape/diameter as that. I'll may play around with it some more. I also have craft felt as well at my disposal. I may use this to start re-modding my T50RP Mk3s and my open alpha project too.

The Alphas require me to make a new trace on the PM driver though since I accidentally took off the solder pad, and I haven't been able to get a good durable bond to the board. Running out of copper to work with too. :frowning2:

Anyway, thanks you all for the help on building a measuring unit. It's pretty down right basic but it's a start and fun. :)

So... mostly the idea is to use BOTH the foam and Bounty paper towel?? I got the idea that people were/are "REPLACING" the foam with the paper towel?
In any case it would be interesting to see response curves on that option.

THX

Apr 2, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #2,519 of 8,051
Ok all on a SS amp:

Blue: Paper inside of Foam
Yellow: Paper outside of Foam
Pink: Paper only, no Foam

Apr 2, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #2,520 of 8,051
  Ok all on a SS amp:

Blue: Paper inside of Foam
Yellow: Paper outside of Foam
Pink: Paper only, no Foam

Interesting results. If I read this right, the paper inside may well be the way to go.
I am not quite sure how well the graphs correlate with my hearing... but that curve looks like less midbass emphasis and maybe smoother top end..
Nothing but towel... maybe not as nice... YES?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back