Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 15, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #2,176 of 8,051

Hopefully my post did the trick and directed lots of people to read your review and discuss it. It was useful to read, thanks

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #2,177 of 8,051
  What you experienced is perspective. Your opinion on a product will not only vary based on your ear's physical properties and preferences but also what reference points and experiences you have.

Exactly. And the more you experience, the more demanding your taste becomes and the less you enjoy the things you used to enjoy in life. the cost of experience.

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #2,178 of 8,051
Yo, I wrote this. I noted in the beginning of the paragraph that stock pads don't seal very well on me which probably contributes significantly to the thinness. I noted that the Audeze pads seal significantly better and despite measuring with less bass, I subjectively heard more.

Thanks for the effort you put into the review, I found the technical details interesting and informative even though we may differ in the final verdict.

Mar 15, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #2,180 of 8,051
I need a replacement cable that's at least 6 ft long for the m1060. Does such a cable exist? At the present time i'm using a Grado extension cable that is way to long and,at least to my ears,does degrade the sound  signature of the m1060 to a degree.

Mar 15, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #2,181 of 8,051
Have had mine for two weeks. Upper Midwest. Dry. Went away for a few days and expected to see that cracks had developed. But so far so good. No cracks. No connector issues. No headband problems. But now I handle them with EXTREME CARE.

Mar 15, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #2,182 of 8,051
Has anyone else noticed that the M1060s become easier to drive with burn-in? I swear that they require less power after 100 hours. But maybe I'm just imagining things...

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #2,184 of 8,051
Yo, I wrote this. I noted in the beginning of the paragraph that stock pads don't seal very well on me which probably contributes significantly to the thinness. I noted that the Audeze pads seal significantly better and despite measuring with less bass, I subjectively heard more.

I don't agree with your assessment of the bass response either. You must really have a bad seal (which is different from my experience as these seal very well on my head).

The bass is very impactful, it hits hard. Not thin in any sense of the word. I actually find it quite the opposite.

The bass is viseral and attacks, they actually hit harder than a lot of headphones I've used... I find it surprising less people are talking about how impressive the bass impact is from these. I love it.

It's more than any audeze phone too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yUUbCpe1J0

I don't know how someone could listen to the above track on the 1060's and say the bass is anything less than explosive.

EDM i listen to sounds explosive with these. It's very impressive to my ears and as someone who appreciates impactful bass. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3utMV9ITxsE - or this? I mean c'mon.... That is some insane bass there.

Mar 15, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #2,185 of 8,051
I don't agree with your assessment of the bass response either. You must really have a bad seal (which is different from my experience as these seal very well on my head).

The bass is very impactful, it hits hard. Not thin in any sense of the word. I actually find it quite the opposite.

The bass is viseral and attacks, they actually hit harder than a lot of headphones I've used... I find it surprising less people are talking about how impressive the bass impact is from these. I love it.

It's more than any audeze phone too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yUUbCpe1J0

I don't know how someone could listen to the above track on the 1060's and say the bass is anything less than explosive.

EDM i listen to sounds explosive with these. It's very impressive to my ears and as someone who appreciates impactful bass. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3utMV9ITxsE - or this? I mean c'mon.... That is some insane bass there.

If you enjoy bass like I do (bass addict here) listen to this twerk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9YR0mzIvQhE

Mar 15, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #2,186 of 8,051
Yeah, I'm super impressed with bass impact, especially sub bass.  I think his issue was that there isn't as much mid bass in comparison to most dynamic headphones.  Almost all planars have a linear response from 20Hz to 1kHz.  This can actually make them seem bass light because we are more sensitive to frequencies in the 1kHz to 10kHz range.  

Mar 15, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #2,187 of 8,051
Well ... That's it. I'm throwing in the towel as my headband just gave way. I'm shipping them back and will wait for the next release. Drag !! I love these things, especially the low end !! I'll be shipping my Vegans back too unless someone needs them. Shipping from L.A. In perfect shape and for what I paid for them from B&H. 

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #2,189 of 8,051
  Yeah, I'm super impressed with bass impact, especially sub bass.  I think his issue was that there isn't as much mid bass in comparison to most dynamic headphones.  Almost all planars have a linear response from 20Hz to 1kHz.  This can actually make them seem bass light because we are more sensitive to frequencies in the 1kHz to 10kHz range.  

How does it compare with the HE-6 in terms of bass impact since you own both?

These are some of the better cans in terms of bass impact to my ears, and I've tried a ton of phones. Especially considering they're fully open.

They are just tight and very punchy down low. Very snappy to beats.

Take this as another example track, the headphone just thumps to this (not only bass, just they seem to have fast transients, which leads to an impactful snappy sound): 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEWPXKJKFSc

I'm really enjoying the sound of these, they are very fun and continue to impress me. Only complaint I would say is the headband can put some pressure on the top of my head which I do not like. Other headphones are more comfortable in the headband area, and that's something I'm very picky about.

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #2,190 of 8,051
Listening to Pink Floyd-Wish You Were Here "Welcome to the Machine" for the first time on the M1060 since I got them more than 2 weeks ago. Not sure what took me so long to listen to this track, normally I use this one to test out new headphones. The bouncing right-left bass sounds amazing on these and the layering of sound is fantastic. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back