Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 14, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #2,146 of 8,051
I'm not in disagreement with that review.  Stock these are okay for $300 but don't have the cohesiveness of HD6X0 and other cans in the price range.  Modding takes these to the next level and they went from possibly being sold to a frequent rotation with the rest of my headphones.  

With some minor tweaking and pad/cable options this headphone can be a giant killer.

Mar 15, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #2,147 of 8,051
  Review:

http://www.verumsonus.com/monoprice-m1060-review/

"Many accept the claim that the wall is a function of the tension in a planar driver and isn’t audible, and I can’t say I ever heard severe ringing in any of the Audezes or Hifiman planars, but there is incredibly noticeable ringing in the M1060. I normally listen at around 80dB but I found myself turning the volume down significantly just so I could actually use them without wincing."

This is so odd to me, because the thing that stands out the most for me is how loudly I can play music without any kind of discomfort. I'm wondering if there is a large variance between pairs of headphones? Do other people have this "wincing" trouble?

Mar 15, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #2,148 of 8,051
  I'm not in disagreement with that review.  Stock these are okay for $300 but don't have the cohesiveness of HD6X0 and other cans in the price range.  Modding takes these to the next level and they went from possibly being sold to a frequent rotation with the rest of my headphones.  

With some minor tweaking and pad/cable options this headphone can be a giant killer.

I agree with this.  Stock isn't bad for the price (compared to what you can get in the second hand market).  While modded still doesn't come close to my HE1000 V2's, but it's damn enjoyable, comfortable (to me), and great backup cans that sound close to some ToTL priced cans. 

Mar 15, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #2,149 of 8,051
If anybody wanted to do the paper towel mod, and not remove any of the astetics of the cans, I found some black toilet paper rolls on amazon. They're some black paper towels from the same company, but they're sold out. I don't know if it makes a difference, thought I'd link it anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00I7P9PBA/ref=pd_aw_sim_201_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3ZQ4MXMZECPB0H6GCRDX

Mar 15, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #2,151 of 8,051
Mar 15, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #2,154 of 8,051
  I hope he returned them to stock before sending them.  No foam and or no grill is a no go with the M1060.

I find it interesting that two people who review headphones would listen to the same unit and end up with entirely opposite opinions about them. one thinks that the M1060 is an "end game"  and the other thinks that it is a "mediocre headphone".

Mar 15, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #2,156 of 8,051
  Don't know where you're quoting "no bass" from as I can't seem to find it in the review.

I summarised:
"...but they still sound thin. They reach into the sub bass but midbass just isn’t full-sounding, even compared to the Audeze Sine or any T50RP mod. It sounds rather one-note and unclean too"

If people click the link they can read it for themselves but  my interpretation was he thought they sounded thin, with little or no bass apart from sub-bass. Any bass he did hear was poor

Mar 15, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #2,157 of 8,051
These are great. They look amazing, feel good on my head, and sound better than my K7XX. However, I'm in need of money, and will be sending them back. Wish I didn't have to :frowning2: if anyone is interested in buying these guys off me I'm willing to send it out for $300 (buyer pays PP and shipping), no QC issues on my side, just PM me.if not I'm sending them back by Friday. I would say these are end game opens for a budget headphone enthusiast no doubt. They're not perfect but they definitely get the job done, better than most headphones in it's price range.

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #2,158 of 8,051

I summarised:
"...but they still sound thin. They reach into the sub bass but midbass just isn’t full-sounding, even compared to the Audeze Sine or any T50RP mod. It sounds rather one-note and unclean too"

If people click the link they can read it for themselves but  my interpretation was he thought they sounded thin, with little or no bass apart from sub-bass. Any bass he did hear was poor

You should clarify when you do that. It's disingenuous to not only take parts out of context but also summarise something and present it like a quote.

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #2,159 of 8,051
Ouch :eek:

Interesting. Either the pair he got is clearly defective or I have incredibly different taste for headphones ... as mentionned so many times here ... my god this hobby is so subjective :)

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #2,160 of 8,051
My apologies, I didn't realise you were in charge here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back