Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 15, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #2,161 of 8,051
I'm not in disagreement with that review.  Stock these are okay for $300 but don't have the cohesiveness of HD6X0 and other cans in the price range.  Modding takes these to the next level and they went from possibly being sold to a frequent rotation with the rest of my headphones.  

With some minor tweaking and pad/cable options this headphone can be a giant killer.

Same here. I think his review was fairly accurate and I definitely noticed all of the issues he had with the sound of these over the past week of listening to them. Yet even with these issues, I still found them extremely enjoyable to use. I think 106mm planar drivers will generally sound impressive compared to other $300 headphones, regardless of how poorly monoprice tuned these cans.

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #2,163 of 8,051
  Zeos M1060 got the strap slip, similar to what happened to mine and others here. I think a drop of glue is needed to hold it firm in place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNGOgK52i-M

Spoiler alert: "My God! do they sound... good!"

That's a review I'm really looking forward to.

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #2,165 of 8,051

Spoiler alert: "My God! do they sound... good!"

That's a review I'm really looking forward to.

yeah, did not want to spoil it. He also mentioned in the comments that it worth whatever price is being asked for it.
Zeos gets excited about products that has quality at a reasonable price, which is exactly what everyone should do when they shop around.
Glad to hear that he is also a fan of the M1060.

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #2,168 of 8,051

I find it interesting that two people who review headphones would listen to the same unit and end up with entirely opposite opinions about them. one thinks that the M1060 is an "end game"  and the other thinks that it is a "mediocre headphone".

You sound like you are new around here
biggrin.gif
It a quintessence of being on Head-fi
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #2,170 of 8,051
I don't mean to derail the conversation but I have a question. I'm planning on buying the M1060 when the come back in stock in April. I want to have a better cable ready to go so I was going to order one from AliExpress now so it arrives before the headphones. Anyways, can anyone weigh in on which cable of these two would be better (or which one they would buy)? The price difference is nominal. I read somewhere that silver-plated is supposed to sound better but I'm skeptical that cables change the sound much, if at all.

Copper Cable

Silver-Plated Copper Cable

I like the look of the silver-plated one and it looks softer (I don't like super stiff cables) but it also looks much less durable. Anyways, any thoughts are appreciated. :)

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #2,173 of 8,051
Lol. The operative word being "opinions"
wink.gif

Which mean it is not rational but emotional response. There is no perfect frequency profile that everyone would seem to "enjoy" according to their own taste.
The funny thing, After using the M1060 for maybe 10 days now, I tried my X2 and I found it less enjoyable than I remember. And the X2 actually wow'ed me when I first tried them.
I guess whatever you enjoy is what matters, hearing is believing.

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #2,174 of 8,051

Which mean it is not rational but emotional response. There is no perfect frequency profile that everyone would seem to "enjoy" according to their own taste.
The funny thing, After using the M1060 for maybe 10 days now, I tried my X2 and I found it less enjoyable than I remember. And the X2 actually wow'ed me when I first tried them.
I guess whatever you enjoy is what matters, hearing is believing.

What you experienced is perspective. Your opinion on a product will not only vary based on your ear's physical properties and preferences but also what reference points and experiences you have.

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #2,175 of 8,051
'Muffled overall' with 'no bass'. What on earth was he listening to?

Yo, I wrote this. I noted in the beginning of the paragraph that stock pads don't seal very well on me which probably contributes significantly to the thinness. I noted that the Audeze pads seal significantly better and despite measuring with less bass, I subjectively heard more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back