Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 16, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #2,206 of 8,051

In the meantime, I'm just using a 1 foot 1/8" to 1/4" adapter, which helps a little: 
https://www.amazon.com/VONOTO-Headphone-Extension-equipment-Headphones/dp/B00NC03ZS4/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1489672964&sr=1-2&keywords=VONOTO+30cm+Metal+Stereo+6.35+Male+to+3.5mm

Interesting. I ordered the very same adapter last week from Amazon. So far it's working fine. 

Mar 16, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #2,207 of 8,051
Sat down with a buddy and compared my new 1060s to his LCD2s and HE-350s, and my HD650s. Unfortunately, his Schiit Modi/Asgard wasn't available so we just used an Oppo HA-2 for amplification. Overall came away pretty happy with my purchase. No build quality issues outside of not loving the overall fit and finish, headband or MMXC. I'll be keeping them and have a few mods I'd like to make. First up is building a new cable. I picked up some MMXCs from Double Helix.

Mar 16, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #2,210 of 8,051
Let me know what you think once it arrives. It will another 3 weeks or so for me.

I got my Argon today (major delays in delivery from the carrier side).
The argon has beaten all my other headphones in sound quality comparison except M1060 (X2, Vmoda M100, Audio Technica M50x). I don't think anything can beat M1060 after doing the veggie pad swap and the paper towel mod. My M1060 is getting noticeably better with more burn in time and I expect the Argon to do the same.  I think the Argon is the best closed headphones I ever heard. Build quality is great as you might expect (ok, I jinxed it and the left side just fell off while writing this post lool. it turned out the screw that holds the leather strap into the slider was loose and I just screwed it back on. hope it stays there )
Three things when compared to the M1060, 1) M1060 clarity is across the board in comparison with tighter bass, clearer and more detailed vocals/mids and treble. I am hearing details of guitar string strokes in M1060 that the Argon produce but not at the same level of detail and clarity (still MUCH better than my other headphones ). 2) Despite the excellent soundstage of the Argon, you still have the closed can effect of being closer to you ears than open cans. physics in action I guess 3) and last, it is much harder to drive than M1060. On my Micca Origen+, I had to crank it to max with high gain to get to a decent level and still I felt that I needed more. M1060 was at the same loudness at a volume of roughly 50%.
I can safely say that the Argon is a great MP closed headphone for its price and it will compete, IMO, with even other more expensive closed cans. sadly, Modhouse ran out of stock so it will not be easy to find one now. currently I see the M1060 being my daily driver and the Argon whenever I need a quieter headphone (the only real edge it has over the M1060).
These are first day impressions so the Argon may even get better after burn in.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #2,212 of 8,051
Aha!

So my 1/8" to 1/4" adapter arrived today. It's just a basic Monoprice unit.

Up until now I've been using the variable output on the REAR of my Fulla 2, which is a 3.5mm jack.

Now, I'm using the actual headphone jack.

I feel a little embarrassed that I didn't know those would be different sound quality outputs, but they totally are.

NOW I can hear the sharpness that people are mentioning at moderately high volumes! I get the wincing, and I can see how important the vegan pad mod is. I will order a pair asap.

On another note, brain burn-in is real. My portapros, se215s, everything else is becoming aggravating to listen to. All I hear is the noisy/muddiness, the lack of bass, flat and compressed staging.

Can anyone recommend IEMs, with impressive isolation and that I could commute with, that would have this kind of sound quality? Maybe ER4-XRs?

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #2,214 of 8,051
even though I said I gave up, I can't leave well enough alone, tonight I worked on it further and I finally made some meaningful progress on the 4k peak without making the can darker than midnight.

Stock is red, Modded blue. increased and smoother HF vs stock, strong low bass, blunted 4.5k peak, more gradual transition from the midrange. Why can't I quit you?

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #2,215 of 8,051
  even though I said I gave up, I can't leave well enough alone, tonight I worked on it further and I finally made some meaningful progress on the 4k peak without making the can darker than midnight.

Stock is red, Modded blue. increased and smoother HF vs stock, strong low bass, blunted 4.5k peak, more gradual transition from the midrange. Why can't I quit you?

That looks like a nice improvement. What mods did you do?

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #2,216 of 8,051
  That looks like a nice improvement. What mods did you do?

Too much :D This measurement is as follows.

Earside: The stock rear foam in place of the stock fabric driver cover and Vegans.

Backside: A rectangle of creatology felt double side taped over the entire driver opening, followed by 2 entire cotton balls pulled apart, sandwiched off with a circle of felt between cotton and grill.

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #2,217 of 8,051
I've been on a kick recently exploring new music with my new 400i's.. Obviously that's not on topic to the thread, but I like sharing new music for other people to enjoy on their new cans 
smily_headphones1.gif

https://b3scirecords.bandcamp.com/album/skott-porcelain-wolf

The intro bass on the first track of this EP almost makes you wince in pleasure, and the vocals are smooth and sweet. When she really gets up there in the high notes, I think it's a good way to test the highs on your cans, to see if you can clearly distinguish the end of the word "porcelain", as she finishes it still in the high range and some cans would merely smear the note together.

The second track has a more midrange and low end focus, from the vocals to the piano to the constant bass kick to the snaps. Although she raises the pitch at points, she always sinks back down to a lower range, and I love the smoothness of the transition. At one point towards the end of the track, brass comes into play and the warm notes kind of peek out of the surrounding layers of sound nicely.

All in all, I really enjoyed this EP I stumbled across and I thought with the sound sig people are describing the 1060s as having, it might be enjoyable for you guys too. (Sorry for the impromptu mini-review 
confused_face.gif
)

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #2,218 of 8,051
Okay, last music post (aka probably spammy for you guys) for now at least. I don't even own the cans you guys are talking about, so I don't want to be "that rando" posting without a cause 
tongue.gif
 Unless you really don't mind.

If you guys don't know who Haywyre is...you should check him out. Seriously. His music is a mix of dub, a bit of house, and electro (his old stuff is mainly dub, then he started branching into electro later on). Lots of bass, mid-bass, sub-bass, synths, piano (which he plays wonderfully), etc.

I am bumping his Two Fold Pt.1 album on Spotify right now..

Just a taste: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qhze7BO2f4

If I'm swooning on my 400is, I can only imagine what you guys will hear on the 1060s. Enjoy!

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #2,220 of 8,051
So, I have been loving my 1060s since they day they showed up. However, today is my day for things to go sideways. The headband (the fake leather piece) has disconnected from the plastic bit that held it tight. I've requested an RMA, but that won't happen till mid next month. Has anyone been able to create some sort of temp fix they can share?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back