Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 17, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #2,221 of 8,051
  So, I have been loving my 1060s since they day they showed up. However, today is my day for things to go sideways. The headband (the fake leather piece) has disconnected from the plastic bit that held it tight. I've requested an RMA, but that won't happen till mid next month. Has anyone been able to create some sort of temp fix they can share?

had that too and very easy to fix in few minutes. Z made a video on how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNGOgK52i-M

I would recommend to add a drop of superglue to prevent it from slipping again cus the mechanism does not have strong hold.

Mar 17, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #2,222 of 8,051
Bum!

'nuff said 
frown.gif

Mar 17, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #2,224 of 8,051
  Given similar price points, how do the M1060s compare to the Massdrop x00s?

Well, not REALLY similar price points......$300 vs $450 (I have the Purplehearts).

DMS3 currently has my set in for review, keep watching his channel :) I have little doubt he'll address that exact question.

Mar 17, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #2,225 of 8,051
Bum!

'nuff said :frowning2:  

This exact same thing happened to my pair of M1060s two days after they arrived. One of the earcups audibly cracked while I was wearing them. I like them so much and since it doesn't appear to be affecting their structural integrity I plan to just keep them. Aesthetically the appearance of the crack bothers me though. Anyone have any ideas for a cover-up patch of some kind that would be more attractive than the visible crack?

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #2,226 of 8,051
I'm terrified to find what condition my pair will be in when I get back home next month... from all these horror stories to my little brother emptying his stomach on them and the wire gradually giving out. I'll be surprised if the can still even hang on their mount.

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #2,233 of 8,051
My set is still uncracked (live in currently super damp Seattle). I did notice that my left cup connector is a little looser now and can rarely cut in and out. This was only noticeable when I used aftermarket mmcx cable I got on Amazon. I havent tried the stock cable since I've picked these up to see if it's the cable or the connector.

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #2,234 of 8,051

There are two caveats I have though. One of them is the ever so "slightly bright" sound signiture and the other is "sound stage openness". 

These cans have a more upfront presentation and don't feel as airy or open as I'm use to.  (They present depth excellently though!)

That sounds very, very much like what I hear in my HifiMan HE-560.  

Mar 18, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #2,235 of 8,051
Got my M560s a couple of hours ago and have been listening to a few songs and tried some gaming. I was a bit worried with comments about the lack of bass but for me these have enough. They have a bit more bass than my Sony MDR 100AAP but they don't vibrate on my ears like my V-Moda Crossfade Wireless. The bass is also tighter on the M560s than the other two. 

In terms of comfort they are quite heavy imo. The head band is very soft and comfortable but I think the elastic chords holding the headband aren't firm enough and the headphones kind of droop onto the top of the ears. I twisted the headband around 3 times to tighten the chords and the headphones feel better when they're properly held up. The earpads feel nice even though the inner diameter is a bit small and they cover my earlobes. I tried some Sony XB500 pads on but I didn't like the sound with the drivers further away from my ears.

I'm going to try and shorten or tighten the headband chords somehow. Then I'll look for some nice pads that fully surround my ears. I'm considering removing the little magnets that hold the earpads. I'm wondering if they affect the driver in any way. Later I think I'll try to remove the metal grille from the back and try some alternatives like mesh or a perforated wood back. Generally quite happy with these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back